Framework 16 Noise "FIX"

My Experience with the Framework 16 Gaming Laptop

Hey there! I wanted to share my thoughts on the Framework 16 laptop. Keep in mind that English isn’t my native language, but I’ll do my best to explain.

1. Performance and Gaming:
  • So, I’ve been testing out the Framework 16 with some games—Call of Duty Warzone, Hunt Showdown, and even Dragon’s Dogma 2 (which is notoriously hard to run).
  • The modular design and sustainability focus of the Framework 16 have really impressed me. Plus, having a modular graphics card is pretty cool.
  • Oh, and I upgraded the RAM to Crucial 5600 MT/s, which seems to contribute to smooth gameplay.
  1. Noise Levels:
  • Now, here’s the thing: the Framework 16 can get pretty darn loud during intense tasks. Some folks jokingly call it a “jet engine.”
  • Luckily, I game with headphones, so the noise doesn’t bother me. But others find it distracting.
  • Even switching to the Balanced Power Profile doesn’t make a huge difference in noise reduction on my specific model.
  1. My Workaround:
  • I decided to take matters into my own hands. I’ve been testing a custom workaround by adjusting the Processor Power Management settings.
  • When I’m connected to the charger, I set it to around 90%. Surprisingly, this keeps the noise down, especially during games like Hunt Showdown.
  1. Creating a Custom Power Plan:
  • Here’s how I did it:
    • Open Power Options:
      • Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog.
      • Type powercfg.cpl and hit Enter to access the Power Options.
    • Access Advanced Power Settings:
      • Click on “Hardware and Sound”.
      • Select “Power Options”.
    • Create a New Power Plan:
      • Click “Change plan settings” next to the power plan you’re using.
      • Then click “Change advanced power settings”.
    • Customize Processor Power Management:
      • Scroll down to find “Processor power management”.
      • Click the little plus sign to expand the options.
      • Adjust the processor settings as needed.
  1. Linux Users:
  • Okay, this part might not directly help Linux users, but who knows? Maybe there’s a similar trick out there for them.
  1. Final Thoughts:
  • I’m all about making people happy with their laptops. If my workaround brings a smile to someone’s face, I’m glad.
  • So, here’s to my trusty Framework 16—may it keep serving me well! And hey, live long and prosper! :vulcan_salute: :rocket: :milky_way:

Remember, the Framework 16’s uniqueness lies in its modularity and community-driven spirit. Keep exploring and tinkering—it’s what makes this laptop special! :star2:

5 Likes

Please do some benchmarks and see, if there’s any performance loss.

You will see some performance drop in CPU-heavy tasks. I have done this on Windows with other processors and by setting the CPU clock from 100% to 99% or below it will/should disable any turbo or boost speeds advertised on a CPU. The Ryzen 7 7840HS has a Base Clock of 3.8GHz but will try to boost up to 5.1GHz. The change above would lock it to 3.8GHz at max. For something like gaming which is GPU bound most of the time you probably aren’t going to see a hit. With some sections in DD2 that hits the CPU like the major cities there might be a noticeable slowdown.

An easier way to do this same thing is to use something like Throttlestop which has a “disable turbo” option which is a bit easier than digging through system settings.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was expecting. The question is, how much performance do you lose in different applications and games.

With thermal throttling being such a reality of modern laptops, I wonder how the noise/performance ratio would compare if you did something to limit fan RPMs without adjusting things from the power management side.

Either way, this is a great idea.

1 Like