[RESPONDED] Framework and PopOS

I set scaling at 100%, and installed the gnome tweaks app to scale the font size instead. This works really well for me with a scaling factor of 1.5.

I also set things to use deep sleep and installed the package for fingerprint recognition from this thread, thanks!

The only problem I have is after the laptop sleeps and wakes the trackpad doesn’t work well, goes too fast and gestures stop working, as someone else reported above.

Overall though this is the first time I’ve used popos and I’m really impressed.

1 Like

Hi everyone - quick question regarding deep sleep. After enabling it, what is the expected behavior when closing the laptop lid and then subsequently opening?

Here is what I’ve noticed on my end:

• I am unable to use the keyboard or trackpad to wake from sleep, and the only way to do so is through pressing the power button.
  • It seems like it is waking up from hibernation instead. All applications are closed and no state is saved. This is what I get from the kernel log though:
kernel: PM: hibernation: Registered nosave memory: [mem 0x00000000-0x00000fff]
kernel: PM: hibernation: Registered nosave memory: [mem 0x0009f000-0x000fffff]

I can confirm that it is set to deep:

$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

I’m also using Pop!_OS. When the power button is pulsing (suspend, in my setup) and I wake my machine, I need to press the power button to bring things back online. When the machine is hibernated, the power button is off, and needs to be pressed to bring things back online. Resumption in either case returns to the state when the machine was suspended - applications and windows all are restored. What do you have the system set to do in the /etc/systemd/sleep.conf and /etc/systemd/logind.conf files? I have mine configured to suspend then hibernate. It looks like your system is trying to hibernate but failing to do so - I could be wrong, however.

Interesting. For me, when opening the lid back up, the power button does not pulse. The sleep.conf and logind.conf files are what came default with Pop_OS!:

// sleep.conf
[Sleep]
#AllowSuspend=yes
#AllowHibernation=yes
#AllowSuspendThenHibernate=yes
#AllowHybridSleep=yes
#SuspendMode=
#SuspendState=mem standby freeze
#HibernateMode=platform shutdown
#HibernateState=disk
#HybridSleepMode=suspend platform shutdown
#HybridSleepState=disk
#HibernateDelaySec=180min
// logind.conf
[Login]
#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
#KillUserProcesses=no
#KillOnlyUsers=
#KillExcludeUsers=root
#InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
#UserStopDelaySec=10
#HandlePowerKey=poweroff
#HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
#HandleLidSwitch=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=suspend
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#HandleRebootKey=reboot
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=yes
#RebootKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
#RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
#RuntimeDirectoryInodes=400k
#RemoveIPC=yes
#InhibitorsMax=8192
#SessionsMax=8192

I’m going to try doing echo mem > /sys/power/state and report back to see if the system can even go into a deep sleep (aka. suspend-to-RAM) state.

If you’re using something like Gnome or KDE, you have to configure power stuff using their settings (they override systemd defaults).

After doing some more digging, it looks like I’m running into the issue here: Unable to wake from sleep

Putting it to sleep using echo mem > /sys/power/state, the power button starts to pulse but I cannot bring it out of sleep. Pressing the power button again makes the LED turn on fully, then off after a second. If I press it again, it looks like it just reboots.

I currently have scaling set to 150% and the tearing is getting annoying. When searching for solutions I found 2 common ways that people have fixed this:

Install xf86-video-intel which I can’t figure out how to do.

Or enable Wayland, but that doesn’t seem to be enabling:

Restarted and it’s still X11:

Here’s my display settings:

Has anyone been able to resolve the tearing at 150% in Pop 21.10?

Did you choose the right gnome session (with wayland) on GDM ?
Changing this config enables this option, but you still need to select it from login screen

3 Likes

Ah, there we go, selected Pop on Wayland from the little gear after clicking on my username and I’m all set now, thanks @fdr !

OK new question, with Wayland, the trackpad has a lot of inertia when scrolling, is there any way to disable this? It would make sense with a touchscreen, but I always end up scrolling past when I wants to stop.

I at least found a way to disable the inertia/kinetic scrolling in Firefox, but it’d be nice to disable it system-wide.

1 Like

I’m getting much better performance from Wayland, it seems to have fixed the issue of media playback above 1080p on an external monitor being super laggy and CPU heavy.

Fractional scaling seems better in terms of apps scaling properly, albeit blurry. I’d like to disable fractional scaling on a per app basis but I havent found a way yet, unfortunately this means apps like Discord are blurry.

I found a related bug for this with VS Code being blurry and it turns out to be related to electron, and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Ah interesting, thats good to know. Thanks

I can second this, display performance is better on Wayland - not noticing any blurriness with apps. I typically keep video playback at 480/720p since I mostly view videos at 2x+. I had previously found scaling to 200% and then minimizing in app display to 80% to be helpful

Also didn’t need the screen tearing fix on Wayland

@Alex5 probably it’s a bit late to answer, but I had the same problems with touchpad after wake up and disabling PS/2 emulation (or I don’t know how exactly it’s called there) helped. Haven’t had any problems since then

@Alex5 I have the same issue with the trackpad. After using a MacBook trackpad, I’m extremely disappointed with this one.

1 Like

Think there are a few things that Apple is industry-leading:

1. Laptop speakers
  2. Trackpad
  3. Processor performance per W
  4. Display scaling and graphical user experience
  5. Built-in headphone jack capable for high impedance headphone (waiting for reviews).

i.e. I’m saying, it’s pretty much a known standard that if you’re not on a Macbook…the trackpad would automatically fall into the ‘can’t compare to Apple’ category.

Trackpad disappointment is near-guaranteed for any Macbook users using anything else.

PC laptops just don’t have that full control over hardware, OS, apps, sales, distribution, trade-in…etc. Be it good or bad.

2 Likes

Question about OS update. I use PopOS 21 on my Framework for about half a year already, so far so mostly good :slight_smile: Recently it started showing me the pop up that update to 22 is available. So the question is how bad is the idea of doing such ‘live major update’ 21 → 22?

Previously, I used macOS as my work OS for about 10+ years and such major updates work mostly fine there. Yet, I had a really bad experience updating the Linux the same ~10 years back. Some of my previous old Ubuntus basically crashed after a minor upgrade with apt-get.

Many people upgraded with no issues. I did so on a couple of machines, but on my primary had a fair amount of hassle. I believe that I have it ok now, but in the mean time swapped the ssd and am now running manjaro. If you haven’t added any third party ppas you likely will be fine. Just make sure to have a backup in case things do go sideways.

1 Like