[RESPONDED] Framework and PopOS

Hey guys, I just switched to Pop on my framework and I’ve had several display issues, wondering if anyone else has seen this.

1. I have to set 150% scaling every time I reboot, it always resets to 200%

2. Multiple applications have unreadable text because of the size, like they’re trying to display at the default resolution or something similar. I’ve included a screenshot below

I’m not sure if these are somehow related or separate issues. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi James. Welcome to the Pop/Framework combo. I’ve been using it since I got my Framework as well. I run everything at 200% scaling and did notice that it would reset to 100% periodically. Especially if I was adding or removing external displays while the machine was running.

I also read in a few places that fractional scaling (i.e. 150%) caused screen tearing and, in general, was not well supported. This seems to be a problem inherent in PopOS regardless of the hardware.

Not the most helpful, but I hope its comforting that you aren’t alone :slight_smile:

Perhaps unrelated, but I have also noticed that Pop is very aggressive about keeping the HiDPI daemon enabled. I tend let this go but keep the HiDPI “Mode” setting disabled and haven’t had any problems with apps redering font sizes differently. You might play around with those two toggle switches and see if it has an effect.

1 Like

This stays at 150% for me:

1 Like

Yeah, I ended up dropping the resolution to 1920x1000 or something close to that, not looking at it right now. Everything looks good and no weird resets or high dpi notifications.

Hopefully that improves over time and we get better use of the screen.

1 Like

Hello

I’m upgrading my Framework laptop from Pop!_OS 21.04 to 21.10 and it has been sitting on the Framework splash screen for a long time (about 30 minutes now) I’ve got disk encryption enabled

How screwed am I? Do I need to reinstall?

Hi Kent. Welcome!

I wasn’t able to get full disk encryption on my install. Experienced something similar. It’s possible that I just wasn’t patient enough to wait for the encryption to finish. Mine was a clean install of 21.10 and not an upgrade, so YMMV. All I did was hard-boot the machine (hold down power button til it gives up) and start my install over.

Because you are on an upgrade, I’m not sure you’ll have the same luck. Was 21.04 also encrypted?

Hi Levi. Thanks for weighing in

Yep, 21.04 is encrypted as well.

When I hard boot, I get the cryptdata password screen. When I pass that it goes right back to the Framework splash screen.

Perhaps I was impatient as well. I’ve left it for over an hour this time with no change in status. I’m not sure if these questions should go to framework or to the pop OS guys.

When I power cycle I get the readout of services shutting down

So it does look like the OS is getting somewhere down the road of setting up.

Just trying to figure out my next step here - is this recoverable or should I reinstall? I have bad luck with interim releases so I think it is time to switch to LTS

When the splash screen appears. Press left (in the arrow keys) once on the keyboard. It should show in text detail what it’s trying to do. If you don’t understand, feel free to take another photo and ask more

I think questions about length of time to encrypt a drive are probably best aimed at Pop_OS (or, more generally, the Ubuntu community). I know that there are a lot of variables (drive size, write speed, etc). But I don’t think hours is an unreasonable time. I know it sucks, but if you let it run overnight and it still wasn’t done, I’d try something else.

If you are seeing OS activity, I would hold out hope that there is a way out of this. Or at least a chance to roll back and save any data you want before doing a clean install.

@Brunoais thanks for the tip about the splash screen! Gonna need that at some point.

1 Like

Ur welcome, m8.
Actually, I always disable the splash screen on my systems. It’s just hiding useful information that tells what the computer is doing (that’s done in /etc/default/grub, btw)
I do understand why it exists, though. Too many people get scared with walls of text.

If the encryption is OK but the OS is borked, the data can still be recovered with a live environment. However, it may not be a trivial task for newcomers to ubuntu-based OS

Thanks Bruno. When I press left arrow nothing seems to happen.

When I press Alt + arrow I get bumped over to a tty. Unable to login with this error though:

/bin/login: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/AppProtection/libAppProtection.so: undefined symbol: dl_sys version GLIBC_PRIVATE` 

Reckon that isn’t a good sign…

Indeed. Your system is broken.
It may be salvageable with a recovery boot (one of the “recovery” options in grub, I believe. Otherwise, you need to type it yourself because I’m not fully sure how it presents to you).

If recovery mode doesn’t work for you and you need to recover data from it, it should be possible to boot with a live environment.
With that error, it definitely looks like there’s no issues with the encryption.

If you are not tech savvy enough… It may be possible to reinstall without deleting personal data but I’m not sure of that.

Worst case scenario I can boot from a live disk and mount the encrypted volume and recover my personal data before reinstalling. I’ve done it before - there was some funny business with getting the mount working with LUKS behaving properly, dont totally recall the specifics but I’m sure I can pull it off again if needs be.

Unfortunately I don’t get grub screen. I’m not sure how to drop into it but I’ll start trying that next.

EDIT: Ok I’m in recovery mode. For anyone following this, you can access your hidden grub menu by mashing Escape or Shift during power-on. Source

Gonna quickly back up my data before trying to repair my install. Not sure how to do this without blowing away my home directory.

LAST EDIT: We are back to normal! Recovery partition does a nice refresh of the OS up to latest (21.10 in my case) and kept all user files intact. Huge thanks to @Brunoais and @Levi_Sauerbrei for your help!

4 Likes

For those running PopOS 21.10 with secure boot enabled, was it just a case of re-enabling it after installation?

@Johnny_B If you “shake” the cursor, particularly at the sides of the screen, are you seeing the screen tear just for a second (almost like a second window) on Wayland?

I can confirm the same results, also noted here - PopOS keeps resetting the scaling setting · Issue #1885 · pop-os/pop · GitHub - disabling the HiDPI daemon seems to ensure fractional scaling doesn’t reset.

1 Like

I set scaling at 100%, and installed the gnome tweaks app to scale the font size instead. This works really well for me with a scaling factor of 1.5.

I also set things to use deep sleep and installed the package for fingerprint recognition from this thread, thanks!

The only problem I have is after the laptop sleeps and wakes the trackpad doesn’t work well, goes too fast and gestures stop working, as someone else reported above.

Overall though this is the first time I’ve used popos and I’m really impressed.

1 Like

Hi everyone - quick question regarding deep sleep. After enabling it, what is the expected behavior when closing the laptop lid and then subsequently opening?

Here is what I’ve noticed on my end:

• I am unable to use the keyboard or trackpad to wake from sleep, and the only way to do so is through pressing the power button.
  • It seems like it is waking up from hibernation instead. All applications are closed and no state is saved. This is what I get from the kernel log though:
kernel: PM: hibernation: Registered nosave memory: [mem 0x00000000-0x00000fff]
kernel: PM: hibernation: Registered nosave memory: [mem 0x0009f000-0x000fffff]

I can confirm that it is set to deep:

$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]