Framework DIY 16 not turning on

Just got the Framework 16 today, took my time assembling everything, I have the Framework 180w usb-c charger, plugged it in with both 2x16gb ddr5-5600 from Framework and nothing turns on, The orange charging light just cuts out when I try to use the power button, and does not do anything else, I have tried using 1 RAM stick in earthier slot multiple times and still same thing. I just would like to know if I possible did something wrong. Kinda sad that nothing be working.

Hi.

1. Try leaving it switched off, with the power plugged in. Does the red charge light change colour to white eventually when fully charged? This tests the charger cable. Make sure you plug power into the correct side (not back) usb slots.

2. check for any other light colours/flashing of the side leds and describe them.

3. it can take 15 mins for memory training, so don’t switch off quickly, wait a bit.

4. unplug everything, all expansion cards except the one for charging, unplug ram, ssd etc. Leave the midplate off. Then Try powering on and wait. The led should flash. Video or note down the flashes.
    This at least shows something is working.

5. press the power button for > 20 seconds. It should reset the EC.

when I first opened I had it on the charger for about 2 hours just to make sure and it stayed orange never changed any other color. After a while I decided to take the battery out and surprisingly it had some life, The lights on the side were flashing blue and red for a while and the it turned off and I turned it on. Life was starting it eventually booted up and I’m currently installing windows 11 without the battery. When I get windows installed I will test and see if the battery can charge? If that even works that way.

OK. Good progress then.
For testing, you can use a usb keyboard with the midplate removed, and test like that.
The battery connector is very fragile. Be careful not to bend pins when reinstalling it.

Gotcha, another stump I got no internet. :upside_down_face: something with windows 11 or me?

Have you got the Windows 11 driver package from Framework installed already? AFAIK, it’s necessary to have a driver installed for Windows to recognize the WiFi card. If you’ve got the ethernet card, that one should just work.

Did you install the FW16 driver pack for windows? Maybe a device driver is missing?

Balls, I did see another thread talking about that. I did not think about that. I will go ahead and try that out. but how do I get the drivers installed correctly I know there is definitely a thread or somewhere talking about that. We all good I bypassed the setup on the windows 11 but I’m going to have to test the battery to update bios

Yea just plugged in the battery its still orange i’m going to let it charge but still no life with the charger in.

At the risk of stating the obvious, don’t go exploring around the mainboard by touch with the AC plugged in!

press the power button for > 20 seconds. It should reset the EC.

That’s good to know. Are you sure that’s the regular power button and not the one on the mainboard please?

I just tried that and with the battery nothing lights up or boots on. Only when I plug the charger in it is flashing red now
nvm Midplate was just not plugged in right, duh But still no life with the battery at all I’m going to say its something with the battery because its not charging at all