Framework Intel 13th Fingerprint issues - Windows 11

Hello everyone.

I bought a Framework Laptop 13 Intel 13th last year and it works fine wth the exception of the fingerpting. Unfortunately the camera doesn’t have IR which makes it not being supported for Windows Hello.

My experience with the fingerprint has been really bad, it does work but it always stops working completely after a while, to make it work I just need to reset the Windows Hello fingerprint setup and do the setup again, which is getting really old.

I have been back and forth with Framework support, even had a replacement of the fingerprint and the issues still remains. From the behaviour this looks like some issue with software/drivers.

Not sure where to look for logs or how to troubleshoot this further.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NF

Hi and welcome.

You don’t say
a) what Windows you are using Win 11 I expect
b) and I’m sure you have the correct driver package for Gen 13 as you have been trying to sort with Framework.

Generally I’ll be of no help as I don’t use the Fingerprint reader and have no idea what Windows hello is that would require infra red . :slight_smile:

So hello:

EDIT: Just read up on Windows Hello :frowning:

When your fingerprint isn’t recognized anymore, are all devices shown fine (without exclamation mark or so) in the device manager (devmgmt.msc)?

Because you need to set it up new, it could also be somehow related to the TPM. You might check the status of it when the problem occurs again (tpm.msc and devmgmt.msc)

The eventlog looks fine?
But I guess it would be hard to find something useful in this scenario.

Hello @amoun and @mahe ,

Apologies for the radio silence.

@mahe yes, both tpm seems to be fine and in device manager there is nothing flagged as having issues, the fingerprint reader seems to be recognised fine.

The TPM also reports that is ready for use.

I have used the driver bundle to install all the drivers, I have also tried to reset things in the bios as instructed by Framework.

Framework also kindly sent a fingerprint replacemente which I replaced but exactly the same issue.

Based on this I truly believe there is some software issue. No sure wha to look for in event viewer tbh.

What I know is if I do the fingerprint setup again, everything works fine for a couple of days and then stops working and I have not idea where to go from here.

Haven’t tried to format and re-install, might try to do that.

Anyway I am on Windows 11 Home:

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 23H2
Installed on ‎01/‎01/‎2023
OS build 22631.3593
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1003.0
1 Like

I can only think of removing all Expansion cards and resetting the BIOS to create a basic setup.

Leave Windows alone.

Hello @amoun ,

Can you please detail what you mean by that?

Should I remove all the cads in the laptop and then reset the bios and restart windows to see if that helps? Is that what you mean?

Thanks once again for your reply

1 Like

Yes try a reset the BIOS with Windows but no Expansion cards, then plug them in one at a time.

Obviously a USB C so you can start charging.

Out of curiosity, do you have the BIOS Battery Charge Limit set, as a BIOS reset to default will remove that setting and the one for the Power Switch LED status.

Hopefully you have the current BIOS and Windows Driver bundle Framework …

The link in the text is wrong. If you click on it it will show

Please note that this software is for Framework Laptop 13 (13th Gen Intel® Core™) ONLY!

Are you logging in with a local account or do you use a MS account to login?

I did set any BIOS battery charge limit so I would say no, but I will double check those settings.

Yes I have installed the bundle a couple of times now.

Hello @mahe I am using a MS account to login.

Then it could also be a problem related to the account.
I don’t have much experience with private MS accounts, but I would check the security settings of the account on the website (should be somewhere here https://myaccount.microsoft.com/)

1 Like

Precisely what I was kind of thinking. One possible solution is to make your user account a local user account (IE: disconnect your microsoft account), and see if the problem persists.

Hi @mahe , will give it a go and do some testing.

Cheers

I will try that if nothing else works, thanks for the suggestions :grin:

hello @mahe , I looked into my microsoft account but couldn’t find anything relevant for fingerprint authentication.

From everything I searched windows hello (fingerprint or face unlock) is local to the laptop/pc.

Did you had something specific in mind?