Framework Laptop 16 pre-orders are now open

Congratulations, you DDoS’d yourself.
Jokes aside, congrats!

4 Likes

Just to say “You Framework people go above and beyond” absolutely inspiring efforts you have gone to.

Will have to buy just to say thank you. :scream:

4 Likes

I just rush pre-ordered, will I be able to change it later? I’ve never ordered from Framework before so I’m not sure

How much later :slight_smile:

Which did you order?

The DIY may be shipped so quickly you can’t change anything, whereas the pre-builds are by batches so you have the option of cancelling before the full amount is taken and place a second modified order.

@amoun thats actually not true…

They state at checkout: “We’ll send you a follow up email before we prepare your order for shipping. You’ll have the opportunity to order accessories or make adjustments to your shipping address at that point.”
and they ship the DIY version also in Q4 as well as the assembled one. Please read before you write something that is not true.

1 Like

Isn’t that what I said? Until they take the balance you have an option to change, or cancel the order.

The only diff between the DIY and the Pre is the time before you get the email, if as mentioned the DIYs are ready to go.</del?

Batch 1 pre-order here! Not looking for definite timelines or specifics but will there be 3rd party reviews before consumer batch 1 ships out? Or at least specifics like expected battery life (w/ GPU, w/o GPU, etc)? Very excited for this, but it’s the first thing I’ve ever pre-ordered and I’m usually in the “read reviews for 6 months before buying” camp. Haha.

2 Likes

This is incorrect. Everything for Framework Laptop 16 is in a pre-order phase right now. Only Intel Framework Laptop 13 DIY Edition laptops are in-stock and shipping live.

2 Likes

Thanks. I must have too quickly read that and didn’t apply it correctly.

Edited my post :blush:

3 Likes

What’s the difference between 7840HS and 7940HS (other than the base clocks)?.

1 Like

I’d like to preorder, however, I would also like to take advantage of my state’s “tax free holiday” weekend (in August), is there a way to order (not just pre-order) one on that date to be able to avoid sales tax? This is significant as it can save me 10% off the cost.

Looks like the only differences are in base/turbo clocks in the CPU and iGPU. Looks like very little performance difference between the two, especially when both are capped at 45W TDP:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeelinkOfficial/comments/13uruzd/how_to_choose_between_amd_7840hs_and_7940hs/

3 Likes

That’s disappointing. No point in paying +200 for the higher end cpu.

edit: it’s +200 for 7940HS

That was my conclusion as well (already pre-ordered the 7840HS), and it is +$200 for the ‘higher end’ cpu, not +100.

I haven’t seen this posted elsewhere on the forum, but The Verge had a hands-on with the Framework 16 and showed off a lot of the new laptop! Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xq8rOlwW5Y

3 Likes

In the reddit post above by @serisman (how do you do quotes on mobile…?) they aren’t comparing apples to apples though…
They start with 65W vs. 65W (little difference) and continue with 65W vs. 54W and later 65 vs. 45W. Conclusion: higher TDP leads to better performance… Obviously.
I don’t know exactly how the TDPs are set for the CPUs, but if it is 45W, the difference might be greater.

No kidding. But it might change eventually. Price largely governed by what AMD is offering, it is what it is, and FW chose to offer a big and small CPU - that’s typical - but if the Big option had a couple more cores it’d be more compelling even at a higher price.

No doubt someone will buy it anyway.

Looks amazing!

If I have one gripe it’s how few of the keyboard language options have RGB, and I hope you have plans to expand that because I really want a UK RGB keyboard!

1 Like

I don’t know about any 240W Chargers.

But the 180W one by Framework should be enough for the 100W GPU + 45W CPU + (Assumption) 20W for the rest of the System at full load. That means 165W for the System and 15W for battery charging. It’s not charging that fast but it’s not draining the battery.

1 Like

I’ve placed my own pre-order without any errors, in case anyone is wondering. I’m in batch six, I guess I might be waiting a while. It says it’ll ship Q1, but Q1 of 2024 or 2025, I have no idea.

At least it’ll give Framework some time to iron out any potential problems in the first batch or two of laptops, I don’t mind the wait.

Should be fun!