Framework Laptop Alternative Screens

I would like to have a better reaction time and maybe an oled Panel in the future. But right now there are no other options for other panels and the big notebook producer dont sem to produce panel that will fit in the future. It is a bit sad because in the theorie it is easy to change the panel but when there arent any panles on the market its just not possible to do so.

Oled is a bit of an exception there but can still be done (and I will if a suitable panel finally shows up XD).

But yeah the somewhat unique size of the 13 makes finding suitable panels quite hard.

I am already using an alternative display and generally I find it slightly better and with slightly darker blacks. I am positive there are options out there that would fit, just not commonly known. Panelook is great but it also doesn’t actually have a lot of the newer models in its database.

I am not looking to explore OLEDS as there are not really many suppliers and the options are limited. As well, we will need custom circuitry for these OLEDs. I am however exploring options with another person here on higher-refresh rate screens that should match the size / aspect ration closely. If we can procure one of these screens successfully, we can have at least 90Hz displays.

In the longer run, I will dig into mini LED screens or custom backlighting mod for the screens. Personally, I need brighter screens and OLED just doesn’t cut it for me.

Whatever grouses I may have about Framework laptop, the fact that we can try to push the envelope here is really cool for me. I reckon if there is enough interest, we can even do a proper run of alternative displays with the respective cables / circuitry

If you still happen to find fitting oled on your searches, let me know, I don’t care about brightness but I do care about oled.

What about options for different aspect ratio? There would obviously be extra problems here, but I’m thinking a long the lines of razers 13". It has a pretty close size but the bezel is a lot thicker on the bottom portion of the screen. So what about something similar? Plop a 16x9 screen in and 3d print a bezel? Possibly a bracket if needed?

Certainly not the most ideal option, there are several compromises here - one being obvious screen real estate - but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible?

If you find me a 16:9 or whatever oled that fit’s the 13 I’m in but so far all I found was either just slightly too big or way too small.

Ahhh. Yeah I guess different form factors probably don’t share width measurements? Didn’t really think about that.

Unfortunately the framework does have a bit of a unique size. I hope one shows up eventually.

Hey, I am actually considering this path as I want one with way higher brightness. Unfortunately, the options for these are limited to 13" or >=15.6".

I used a caliper to measure the space available, and its 291.0(W) X 202.8(H). This is the maximum outline and not the visible dimensions after you put in the black cover. Anything that is less than these dimensions should fit though, and so its possible.

You have lots of options at 13.3". If you find one that may work and need a second opinion, feel free to post it here

I did a little bit of digging and it looks like the HP spectre x360 is the same aspect ratio but with an OLED panel? I was have a really hard time finding any sort of details about the display though so I gave up and figured I’d dig around later

What information do you need? I can’t help with OLED, but I’m pretty deep into finding better LCD options. Primarily, OLED panels are built by a small number of manufacturers and they don’t follow standard eDP inputs.

My ultimate goal would be to have a mini LED screen, but for now, there aren’t any in the market that is the size we need. As I have mentioned in my previous posts, i am using a different LCD (B135QAN01.0) than the stock one (BOE)

I am looking at Tianma’s 13.4" 90Hz display and HP’s 1000nit 13" displays currently as the next move up in my little escapade. The HPs are 30-pin IVO screens but i believe they follow the standard eDP pinout and I can actually use these with 40-pin to 30-pin converters.

I’ve also recently found 40-pin 0.5mm pitch to 40-pin 0.4mm connectors. This means that my options for more screen types have opened up. I also suspect that the laptop can theoretically support PWM LCDs (instead of DC dimming), but this is something I am still investigating.

I’m actually pretty happy with the contrast of the current displays. They already have pretty nice blacks for me unless i’m in the dark. I would however like better brightness, so maybe the IVO ones will work.

1 Like

To anyone here, and also the framework team, may I ask:

1. What is the maximum power rating for the display that the motherboard can drive? Is it 18W(24Vx0.75A) or maybe current limited?
  2. The current lcd has a pwm in (and I believe is the standard eDP 1.2). Does that mean DC dimming is handled by the monitor and hence, we can theoretically put in a pwm-based lcd?
  3. Compatibility list for displays into the framework repository - can we create a list and add to the FW13 repository? If yes, do you have a title you would like to have it under (say unofficial compatibility list, or community sourced compatibility list)

I’m mostly happy with the stock display too. For my use it has plenty brightness and the calibration is pretty good for what it is.

Personally, I would like better color. 8-bit works for say to day but if I want to do editing it’s meh. I don’t really think OLED is necessary personally, but LED/MiniLED would be awesome.

Higher refresh rate would be welcome too. Definitely don’t need anything over 90-120 though.

The only actual issue I ever have with the display is getting the resolution to look right. I find windows (like the web browser) don’t always fit correctly, so I have to adjust resolution and/or zoom depending on the application I’m using.

What I normally use the laptop for is web-browsing and writing. Hands down the best laptop I’ve ever used for writing.

Gaming and media consumption is pretty comfortable on it too. I just would edit videos and stuff with the current display/audio

I believe I have the perfect one for you - 90Hz, 1.07b colours(8bit + FRC). I’m still looking to find the right supplier for this but I will share more once i can test out a sample. If you’re based in Europe, do let me know, I can order an extra and ship one to you if I can validate the screen works with the FW13.

2 Likes

You’re doing god’s work. Thank you and good luck!

1 Like

What’s the screen resolution?

Its 2520×1680(226 ppi). The panel is the TL134GDXP02-0.

Unfortunately, this panel does not use the same 20455-040E pin used by BOE, and hence there needs to be a specific cable manufactured to use this. I am currently working on procuring a sample of the screen, as well as figuring out how to manufacture a custom cable for this display.

Will post more as I figure things out.

3 Likes

Nice, that’s finally a resolution usable for 2x scaling.

Have you seen this thread? There’s a successfully connected display to mainboard eDP using a board that handles different connectors on both sides.

1 Like

Thanks for this - I hadn’t seen it but it will come in handy. I might be able to modify this to convert the lanes into the specific wiring for the screen

1 Like

Just putting an update for anyone interested. The model I am working on right now uses a custom pinout that will require a custom logic that deals with the completely non-standard pinout plus weird backlight config. Thankfully the panel itself uses regular 4-lane edp protocol for data.

I am just waiting for a sample screen and logic board to arrive to really test out how this fits and will work in general. I am not sure what the demand will be like, but I am hopeful that this can be made into an aftermarket kit if people want it.

4 Likes