Frequent chromebook crashes - software or hardware?

I bought a chromebook in January 2023 for someone else in the family to use, but it didn’t get used often. A month or two ago I started using it daily. It restarts unexpectedly maybe 3-5 times per day. Elsewhere I’ve read that a factory reset sometimes fixes such problems on chromebooks in general (not specific to Framework). Anyone know if there’s somewhere I can look to see an error message associated with the crash that would let me know if it’s worth going through the factory reset process, or if this might just be hardware?

1 Like

I did a powerwash and just had another unexpected restart. I guess this is just something I have to live with.

I would suggest at least opening it up and making sure everything is seated firmly. I’ve had issues like this in the past when cables or daughter boards were loose and would occasionally break connection.

I opened it up and nothing appeared loose. I disconnected the memory, blew on it, and re-seated it. I’ll report back at the end of the month.

1 Like

I just had another unexpected restart. But the good news is I just bought a DIY FW13 and will use that as my daily driver, so hopefully the problems with this one will matter less.