FW 12, Initial Thoughts

I’m a bit confused because the reddit links that were added earlier in this thread had absolutely terrible wobble in them and these tests seem much better.

I would say these lines contain a reasonable amount of wobble. I’m eager to try it myself because there seem to be inconsistencies across tests. I’m assuming this is because some people test the pen in a weird way.

Thanks for these by the way!

(I just hope it’s not variation in the display panels themselves, that would be totally lame.)

1 Like

Weirdly, I think the wobble seemed a bit worse when moving really slow with stabilization turned on. It was a bit more of a consistent weave back and forth. It was a bit more twitchy with stabilization off, but the movement back and forth was slightly reduced. Though, with stabilization on, the lines become straight when moving a bit faster.

1 Like

Yeah that’s in line (lol) with what I’ve experienced from any display tablet. Slower = more wobble.

Even so there’s a maximum amount of wobble regardless of how slow you draw lines.

It’s hard to know exactly what a person thinks “slow” means without doing a video test.

I would guess it took me 10+ seconds to draw the “slow” lines, and 2-3 seconds to draw the “faster” lines.

2 Likes

To me a “slow line” is taking about 10 seconds to draw a line across a distance of roughly 10 inches diagonally using a straight edge like a ruler. That’s the absolute worst case scenario for a display like this.

Pretty much exactly what I did. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience! How was the palm rejection? The metapen 2 did not work very well in the Shortcircuit video.

2 Likes

It seems strange to think that rejection would have much to do with the pen, but now that you mention it, I had more palm rejection issues while using the Metapen than when using the MS Slim Pen 2. Might have just been a coincidence. Still, not terrible. A long time ago I tried one of the first Samsung 2-in-1 laptops (talk about flex and light bleed! That thing had way more flex than the FW 12 when just handling it). It came with an active pen and it was frustrating to use at the time, because I couldn’t stop my palm from writing on the screen almost as much as the pen. Other than that, I have just a little experience with a newer Surface Pro, in terms of drawing on a tablet/2-in-1. And with that limited experience, the Framework 12 seems pretty good to me.

3 Likes

Ok thanks good to know. I did not see any issues in your video when you used the MS Slim Pen 2. On their website, the Metapen 2 is advertised as having palm rejection. Luckily people can get drawing gloves if it is big of an issue.

1 Like

Ooh.
giphy
Palm rejection isn’t a big issue for me with the FW 12, but it would still be nice to just not have to think about it at all. I’ll look into those. Thanks for the tip!

5 Likes

Sony made lots of small ultra portable laptops started in the 90s with the Z line…before ultra portable was even a thing. I had a Z505VA back then.

The other thing to note, VAIO is no longer a Sony brand.

@BigT can you please show us all the available BIOS option pages? I’m curious how much configurability is there in the FW12’s BIOS

I can do this later. It’s pretty basic. Pretty much the same as the FW 13. There are a few Intel boost type features that can be enabled and disabled, power LED brightness, battery extender, battery charge limit, battery disconnect, standalone mode, etc. Nothing too exciting.

2 Likes

If you are considering uploading the screenshots of the BIOS pages on Framework Laptop 12, it may be good to create a “BIOS guide” thread on the Framework Laptop 12 category, such as BIOS guide on the Framework Laptop 13 category. Thank you for that!

3 Likes

Now having fully moved into the FW12, I think I’ll be quite happy with it for a long time. It looks quite nice and the i5 chip is just strong enough for all my needs. If you don’t hear from me for a while, that means the laptop is working fantastic :waving_hand:

11 Likes

I’ll probably start a separate thread for the durability testing. I bought a cheap laptop backpack last night to use in part of the testing, and I hope to get started this weekend. The only hesitation I have is that the display on my unit has very little light bleed, and some have said theirs is worse even that that in the Elevated Systems review, which is already worse than mine. If I happen to damage the display, it would be a real bummer to find out that I damaged some kind of golden sample that was better than most.

But these are a sacrifices we make in the name of science, lol.

7 Likes

I have another golden sample with little light bleed :slight_smile:

Currently travelling since about one and a half weeks. Literally at the other side of the globe RN (12 hrs timezone shift).

Threw my FW12 in the laptop compartment of a tightly packed backpack. No additional sleeve. Holding up great so far. Doing a fabulous job as travel companion.

8 Likes

i haven’t seen any photos of lavender laptops, so here is mine^^

i’m personally very happy with both the speakers and screen that have been often badly reviewed, having only my old laptop (lenovo t450s) as a comparison it looks and sounds great. only problem i have with it is the mirror finish, i will have to put a matte screen protector on it.

i don’t see the body flex that has been described in some reviews, it feels sturdy enough to me, even comparing to my old brick of a thinkpad, however the lid feels less stiff than i’d like - picking it up by the edge of the screen makes it bend uncomfortably and shows light bleed around the area, this is a thing that makes some people wince when i do it with a laptop but my old one would handle that just fine and this is a 2-in-1 which i have to pick up like that to turn the screen around, so i’m a little disappointed there, a stiffened lid would be a welcome upgrade for me.

keyboard is something i expected to be a downgrade but was pleasantly surprised with, the key travel is shorter than i’m used to, but the tactile feedback is really pleasant and typing on it is just as fast and accurate, maybe a bit better even. the touchpad is amazingly smooth and accurate, but i miss the separate, clicky buttons at the top like my t450s has and i still reach for the missing trackpoint too.

performance is a huge upgrade for me, especially web browsing makes a big difference. but that’s not very surprising when i’m jumping 8 intel generations forward.

17 Likes

Looks good! I considered lavender before going with sage.

1 Like

The reviewers tend to get a lot of new stuff, then make the wtf face when handed something that’s not newer/better than the latest hotness.

The rest of us upgrading a 2018 laptop will have a reaction similar to yours. Thanks for the perspective.

11 Likes