Fw 13 randomly restarting

fw 13 ryzen 784ou / win11 pro
after trying to play fallout 4, within 20 min i got a bluescreen so i stopped playing but continued getting frequent blue screens (different error codes each time) decided to do a clean reinstall of windows 11 pro then tried to give fallout another shot. even with the graphics turned down the bluescreen happened again around the same time. im not getting frequent blue screens but it will just restart randomly. Ive uninstalled fallout but the problem keeps happening. (yes, i do have the newest driver/BIOs downloaded). i realize this isnt a gaming laptop but i have 32G of RAM and chose the ryzen 7 because i was told it could handle casual gaming.

What specific model of RAM are you using? You should also run a memtest86 to see if there are any issues with your RAM. If there aren’t, it’s possible you may need the latest Adrenalin version directly from AMD.

x2 16gb DDR5 5600 mHz crucial. ive talked to people on the subreddit with nearly identical setups having no issues. i ran memtest86 on one of the sticks and it just says it encountered a problem.

PS sorry it took me a while to get back to this, everything was fine for a while then it started happening again.

You will need to get that defect RAM stick replaced.

Before RMAing the sticks it may be worth taking them out and cleaning the contacts and trying again, ddr5, especially on sodimms is extremely sensitive.

You could also test if the one stick throws errors in both slots or just the one, if it’s just in one there may be something wrong with the mainboard instead, if it does it in both and the other one does it in none of them it’s definitely the stick.

could you explain that last bit again? and idk abt other RAM tests but for ramtest86, pretty sure you use one stick at a time and every time i get close to then end for this one particular stick, it stops and some error message briefly flashes then goes back to the mainswcreen for ramtest86. and for both ive taken them out, cleaned em, checked nearby connections and it looks fine. i had the fw13 for only 4 months (it was giving me this issue from the beginning)

you got 2 slots for the memory, if the same stick produces errors in both of the slots it’s probably the stick, if both sticks produce errors in one of the slots but not the other it’s probably the slot, if both sticks produce errors in both slots it gets a bit more complicated.

Memtest usually keeps going on error and displays a big pass or fail after done but you may be using a different one than I do.

With either fault memory or memory slots that checks out. Memory just working well enough not to insta crash but not well enough to be actually stable produces some of the most bizarre issues.

1 Like