Only bluescreens for new 13th gen intel DIY -- help?

Framework Laptop 13th Gen, Intel DYI. Just received it today, I was happy. But, alas, not for long.

I installed Windows 11 Home (as per the framework guide using microsoft media creation tool to make a bootable usb thingy). During Windows setup I keep getting blue screen after blue screen, always with code clock watchdog timeout, after which the laptop is unresponsive with fan at full throttle. It says it is collecting data about the error, but stuck at 0%. After 20 minutes I shut it off manually.

I retried multiple times, tried switching the ram, reconnecting ssd, always just bluescreens. Bluescreen recurred at different stages in windows setup (the farthest I got was choosing keyboard layout and connecting to my wifi). Other times the blue screen came even earlier. Sometimes right after powering on, Every time it says: clock watchdog timeout. Stops responding, with fans running super loud.

SSD is brand new (WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe, as recommended by framework) so is the ram (Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 CT16G4SFRA32A as recommended by framework).

I am super bummed out, having spent multiple hours with this expensive machine only to get blue screen after blue screen.

Any suggestions?

Well, try 1 other stick of memory (or did you use a different stick of ram?)
Maybe try the SSD in a different computer and see if it works there.
If it works there maybe upgrade the firmware of the SSD.
if you don’t have a different pc to test the SSD or a different SSD to test try a live Windows/Linux USB stick without SSD and see if that works normally. (no weird errors in dmesg in linux/kernel panic).
If that doesn’t work maybe the mainboard is broken.

1 Like

Thanky you Bastian!

Yes, I had tried two different ram sticks, both new.

The ssd is also brand new. My wife also just got a 13th gen framework, but not the diy version. Hers is running fine. Perhaps I should test my ssd in her laptop. But in case the ssd really is faulty, would that be a risk to her device?

test her ssd in your laptop, and see if it then works as expected maybe.
if it already BSOD’s in the setup it will probably do it when normally booting.
I don’t think it will harm the other laptop. but you never know 100% for sure.

also before you do try this:

1 Like

Thanks!

Using my wife’s framework laptop, I could install windows on my ssd with no problem, setup worked fine and chkdsk says ssd is fine. So I guess thats not it.

Also, if I remember correctly, wifi in my framework was set to fallback. I will check again.

My inclination for BSOD on new machines is usually some hardware component is loose. Try re-seating everythig to make sure all of the connections are solid. Also try swapping the RAM sticks with your wife’s as bad memory is something i see with any computer builds.

1 Like

Thank you for your responses and your suggestions!

I was away for work, but today I spent another 4 hours trying to get this to work. I have to say, I am about to send this device back.

Bluescreens keep happening all the time (see below for what I have tried so far). I did manage to install Windows 11 Home on my device (after many failed attempts, but one time it worked). I also managed to install the Framework Driver Bundle for 13th Gen Intel. But bluescreens still occur frequently, especially (but not exclusively) with higher work load (e.g. attempting to install Office; so far 5 attempts, all failed).

Some things I have tried:

1. I have tried 3 different dram sticks, 2 brand new and one from my wife’s brand new Framework 13th gen laptop. All work fine in my wife’s laptop, while my laptop gives me bluescreens with every single one (yes, Channel 0).

2. I have tried 2 brand new ssds. Both work fine in my wife’s laptop, my laptop gives me bluescreens with both. Also, for both ssds, chkdsk says they are fine, so does Western Digital Dashboard, which also says the firmware is up to date.

3. I am pretty sure improper placement/alignment of ssd and dram is not the issue. I was very careful, tried many times, and I never had a problem with the same task for my wife’s Framework (using the same ssds and drams)

4. Ich checked the bios to see if wifi mode was set to “fallback”. It was.

5. As Framework support suggested, I then set the bios to Optimal Defaults.

Bluescreens still occur with the following error codes (some went away so quickly I couldn’t catch the code, but there were def. additional ones):

CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT

SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

VIDEO TDR FAILURE, cause: igdkmdn64.sys

HYPERVISOR ERROR

Sometimes, bluescreens where accompanied by constant noise from the loudspeaker, some by loudly running fan, sometimes the device was completely quiet.

All the best and thanks for your help,
Miguel

After more testing framework support now says that the mainboard has to be replaced. They want to send me the replacement parts.

Honestly, I am not sure how I feel about that. It feels like they have me do their repairs for them. Shouldn’t they offer to take the laptop back and just send me a new unit? After I already spent a lot of time installing and reinstalling windows over and over, replacing ram sticks and ssd over and over, taking pictures of ssd and ram, buying an additional ssd because the other may be faulty (it isnt), buying new usb sticks because the other may be faulty (it isnt), running scans, checking firmware, and just in general not getting on with my work the way I would have like because I am constantly with one eye on the framework (which, obviously, is not the device I am using for work because it always crashes).

I was really looking forward to getting my framework laptop, and I am still super excited about the whole project (I can’t tell you how many friends and colleagues I told that their next laptop “has to be a framework” or they will end up on the wrong side of history). But so far my experience has been pretty, eh, not so good.

Sorry for ranting. I just somehow feel I want to get a new thing out of the box and a do over. Not more parts and instructions on how to replace them. I know the replacement options is what we want the framework for. But I didn’t want to start our relationship by replacing all kinds of stuff. What if something goes wrong? Will that then be my issue?

So: Should I just make use of the return policy? Or am I making a big fuss about nothing?

It’s unfortunate that you have a bad mainboard, but that’s part of the appeal of the system - if something breaks, you can replace that component rather than the entire machine. So, I’d proceed with that option. Presumably it’s part of what drew you to the project in the first place.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. And yes, you are right of course; repairability is what I like about Framework. But I’m not super tech savvy and have never replaced a mainboard before. What if I screw it up? If I screw it up in a device I had for a while and I opted for replacing it, that’s one thing. But starting off with an expensive brand-new device and first thing I have to do is replace a major component? Still, I guess you are correct. I just feel a bit deflated atm.

Replacing the motherboard is quite easy and as long as you methodically follow the work instructions there is very little risk.
I can totally see how you’d feel bad about troubles with your shiny new laptop - but welcome to the early adopter repairable laptop community! I think you’ll find that Framework will be as supportive as you can hope and there’s always this forum to get tips or encouragement if you need any.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. I sent my details to Framework support and will wait for the new mainboard. Fingers crossed. Would love to be able to finally actually do something with my new laptop apart from trouble shooting!
:slight_smile:

You must deactivate the Bluetooth/WLAN Module in the BIOS.
I had the same issue. Windows 11 have problems with the generic Driver for the WLAN/Bluetooth Module.
After you deactivate the module and boot in Windows install the Framework Driver Package and activate the WLAN/Bluetooth module in the BIOS.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Nicole!

This what not the issue with my device. I did a full windows installation including updates and framework driver bundle using another pc and bluescreens kept happening after transferring that ssd to my framework laptop. After I did the scans framework support requested and sent them the logs, they determined it must be a faulty mainboard. I am currently waiting for a replacement.

Just to tie this thread up: I received a new mainboard today (shipping was quick, Taiwan to Germany in 3 days). I followed the instructions for mainboard replacement. Was fairly easy, only step that had me worried for a bit was reconnecting the battery, that was pretty fiddly. I was done in about 20 minutes or so (and I went slowly). My new Framework Laptop is now up and running, 3hrs now with no single issue so far, no bsod in sight. Yay! :grinning: Hope it stays that way!

5 Likes