FW13 AMD 7840u + thunderbolt 3 dock (Dell TB16) issues

Here you go. Strange that it also shows 2 DP adaptors per Host Router as I also understand there is only one DP stream per port. Perhaps it is showing that there are 2 channels that can be tunnelled?

Thank you.
Mhh, this is strange, I really would have expected this to show only one.

Now I am unsure about my conclusion.
This would require further testing with an actual TB dock, if it can actually supply 2 connections or how it errors out when it refuses to make the 2nd connection.

I could only test this myself with a borrowed HP EliteBook with 6000 AMD CPU. But the Windows 11 version back then was too old to have this USB4 panel, so I only relied upon on the 2nd DP connection not working, while the rest worked.

Sadly, as I understand it, AMD is using 1 port per router unlike Intel. So we have no other way of confirming. We cannot simply attach a monitor via DP/alt mode directly and watch it mark one DP in Adapter as unavailable but still have one left for the 2nd port. We simply need to see it establish 2 DP tunnels to confirm the notebook I tested this on was somehow bugged or AMD 7000 got an upgrade in USB4 functionality without anybody mentioning it…

Ps. If you are interested in helping investigate this further and have some form of TB or USB4 dock/hub we can also move this over to the TB/USB4 background thread…

Just to point out I’m having the same issue on the Framework 16 with this same dock. If it charges, then no connected devices work. If connected devices work, it does not charge.

Additionally, seems like the displayport over usb-c port at the back doesn’t work either.

All working fine on my old laptop (XPS 9560).

I continued researching a DELL TB16, with partial success.

• Laptop 16 AMD on a TB16 via the Framework USB-C module: Laptop is charging, the LED on the TB16 connector remains off. The HDMI port on the TB16 provides no signal, no audio, no network, no Thunderbolt. There is no sign of the “Thunderbolt 3™-router” or any other innards of the TB16 in the Windows 11 device manager.

• Laptop 16 AMD connected to a TB16 directly in the slot (without USB-C module): Laptop is NOT charged, the LED on the TB16 connector remains off. The HDMI port of the TB16 provides a signal (WQHD 60 Hz), all ports of the TB16 work, network at full speed. In the Windows 11 device manager there is the “Thunderbolt 3™ router” and all TB16 devices are visible (the drivers must be installed, can be found at DELL website).

• I was unable to test the Thunderbolt port on the TB16.

So I solve this like this: Connect TB16 directly in slot 1 on the left side and everything works (except charging).
Connect the framework charger to the USB-C module in slot 2.
Now i have to connect twice as many cables :slight_smile: but the equipment on the TB16 can stay as it is.
Unfortunately I have to buy another charger, but I’ll do that when the SD card module is available again.

Assumption: DELL creatively extended the then standard for PD to its own products (proprietary). Devices from other manufacturers are charged with a maximum of 60 watts, DELL laptops with more power. I don’t know exactly what combinations of voltage and amps these are. These combinations are probably outside the adopted PD (PowerDelivery) standard. So the framework laptop will not load if connected directly to the slot.

Why the behavior of the USB-C module has an influence on these relationships can certainly be clarified.

In the BIOS of the DELL XPS 15 (9560) you can control whether the TB16 is permanently recognized and available when booting up. Of course, this authorization does not exist in the BIOS of the Laptop 16… But perhaps Framework will still take care of this niche, or perhaps it is not allowed to do so for licensing reasons.

Thunderbolt Control Center is NOT compatible with Windows 11. Intel will NOT fix that…

It is compatible with Windows 11. It is not compatible with the Intel TB4 controllers in the proper USB4 mode (right now the ones in the CPU) or AMD’s or ASMedia’s USB4 controllers.

But there is no reason to want that. TB Control Center works with TB4 controllers that run Firmware Connection Managers. I.e. that handle all the decisions and connection management autonomously in their firmware. TB Control Center only shows very limited details on the decisions the controller already made.
Windows 11 requires using Windows’s USB4 drivers to manage everything for the modern controllers. Giving Windows way more control, allowing Windows to be updated with new USB4 functionality and support more advanced features and diagnostics. In almost all cases you want the modern Software Connection Manager.

And since Windows 11 now even supports external controllers with its USB4 drivers (which it only learned recently) any new USB4 controllers will be designed for those only. The TB4 Maple Ridge controller used in desktops just came out, before Windows had support and thus stuck with the legacy way, even under Windows 11. Just like Tiger Lake notebooks that shipped with Windows 10.

The Thunderbolt Control Center was designed for WindowsÂŽ 10 and it is not compatible with Windows 11. There are currently no plans to support the application under Windows 11.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000097400/intel-nuc.html

And this refers specifically to NUCs, that use the mobile CPUs where that may even be true if they are all in USB4 mode.
But every desktop system, with a desktop CPU (or even AMD CPU) uses the Maple Ridge TB4 controller that still uses the TB Control Center & the old driver.
Just look at any mainboard with Intel TB4/USB4 controller. Like
Gaming-Mainboard ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO | ASUS where the TB Control Center is specifically offered for Windows 11.
Because, the Windows 11 USB4 drivers did not and do not support this TB4 controller.

Also I have access to a 11th gen notebook that, like I described, shipped with Windows 10 and is forced to keep using the TB Control Center and its drivers under Windows 11 (it seems that manufacturers had a choice in firmware whether to expose Tiger Lake USB4 ports as the old TB controllers or as modern USB4 device like Framework did).

Maybe as the best example: https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/product-support/product/xps-17-9730-laptop/drivers. Launched with Windows 11, only supports Windows 11, but in some variants uses Maple Ridge TB4 controllers instead of the CPU-integrated TB4 controllers so that they can implement muxable outputs from the dGPU through TB4. And hence still uses the TB Control Center and drivers.

OK

Displayport is working at TB16

New findings on DELL TB16 on the AMD 7040 Laptop 16:

The plug of my TB16 is worn out, it holds both in the USB-C module and directly plugged in (without module) only mechanically unstable. I have now inserted an angled plug that sits firmly in the USB-C module (the plug of the TB16 also sits more firmly in the angled plug). This ensures that the TB16 is reliably recognized after every restart and after waking up from hibernate. When waking up from standby, contact with the TB16 is lost. The TB16 must then be unplugged and reconnected, or alternatively the power supply to the TB16 must be briefly interrupted…
The laptop must be charged with a separate power supply unit.
All functions of the TB16 are available, except for charging and waking up from standby. I would like to edit the previous post accordingly, i.e. cross out what is wrong and add what is new. Is this possible here?