FW16 Batch 1 Guild

Either it’s a terrible coincidence, or they checked your order and pushed it back in the queue. This is infuriating. Now I’m wondering if support even checked mine or just told me mine was fine to pacify me. I’m going to go check all my modules like you mentioned and see if any of mine are on backorder. This is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Where can you check if parts are on backorder?

I don’t know. After posting that I went and checked but all the 16 parts are listed “coming soon” so I can’t really verify.
My only guess regarding my order is it’s either the led matrix modules, or the clear rgb keyboard that is the holdup for me.

I ordered neither of those and have yet to be charged as well, Batch 1.
Ryzen 7 w/ basic shell, no ssd, no ram, orange bezel, linux keyboard + numpad

1 Like

I think it’s best to contact support once your order is delayed past their estimated shipping range they had sent you in the “preparing batch” email.

Linux keyboard is one of the delayed items, unfortunately.

1 Like

There’s been a new blog post, but without specifics on current bottlenecks: First Framework Laptop 16 shipments and a $499 Framework Laptop

1 Like

That deadline expires in 4 more days for us Batch 1ers.

3 Likes

For anything other than incidental (like grocery, restaurant) purchases, I usually spin up a dedicated card at Privacy.com and set it up for one-time or fixed purchase (like all my online subscriptions, etc.) They take the money directly from my connected account (checking) and allow you to set monthly/individual/total charge limits (and also set as one-time card). It’s also possible to pause/unpause… so you create a card for Framework, set the limit to your pending order, set it to one-time use, set it to paused, then unpause when they are going to charge. Since it’s a UNIQUE card number, nobody else is going to charge it.

This is also amazing for places that make it impossible to stop a subscription… you just close the card out from under them.

9 Likes

I read that, but it’s not an update. How many Batch 1’s have theirs, how many are waiting, and why are they waiting? Is there an ETA for the parts that they are waiting for? That talked about the double production from last year and that most is working on the 16s, however it doesn’t mention anything about why batch 1 people are still waiting and batch 2 and 3 are already starting to get theirs.

3 Likes

I hope that you’ll get your laptops soon. You’ve been so close yet so far for quite some time now. It’s like Christmas were delayed for 50% of the children without fully explaining the situation, lol.

It’s not as hard to wait yet a bit longer as a Batch 5er, as the shipment’s always been at least 1-2 months away, not just a few days.

So, hold on a bit longer. Hopefully it won’t be more than a week to get through the remaining Batch 1 (just guessing, before someone thinks I know anything more than everyone else here).

3 Likes

I did. I got the exact same response TWICE. I may now have to cancel my “Batch 1 order” if this continues and I don’t see any progress by the 29th. I don’t know what happened to the excellent communication before parts of batch 1 began shipping, but I’m getting fed up. This sudden failure in communication makes me suspicious of something not being right.

Unfortunately, I still cannot find a suitable Linux laptop with a 16:10 screen and an ANSI keyboard layout, so IDK what to do anymore. I’m about to return a laptop I bought to replace the FW 16 but it doesn’t have working speakers no matter what I tried, so despite all of the good things it has, it has to go back (I got it literally yesterday).

2 Likes

How long can you keep waiting?
I doubt it will take them more than a few weeks to get done with Batch 1, everything else would definitely require explanation.

1 Like

Until the 29th at 5 pm. At that point, if I don’t see that my credit card is charged, I’ll have to cancel.

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable. Luckily I got a cheap Lenovo from a friend a year ago, otherwise this waiting time would’ve been way more annoying.

Like many of us I really look forward to a lot of power on the go.

1 Like

That seems pretty fair seeing as that’s more than 30 days since the preparing email we all received. The strange thing is they seemed to be getting our orders out quickly a couple weeks back. Then there was the lunar holiday, it picked up again right after and then seemed to halt for us all when the batch 2 and 3 emails went out.

1 Like

I did something similar. Currently using an old dual core Thinkpad T470 I picked up on ebay. Tbh the performance is mostly enough for my use case, and the battery life is phenomenal (~15hrs) so I’m doing ok… I just don’t like being in limbo.

1 Like

These plates bend pretty easily, if you test the deck flex it can cause some bending. But some gentle tweaking while looking down the long edge to gauge straightness fixed it for me.

2 Likes

And as I have pointed out before, the FL13 AMD had, at times, four batches shipping at once, because of delays in OEM supplies of some items to the FW factory.

Frustrating as it is, this week it will be item A, next week it will be item B for the next batch, because the previous batch has used them all.

7 Likes

My Batch 1 order was charged today, let’s gooo!

2 Likes

You had Linux Keyboard in the order right? That’s great news.

1 Like