FW16 Batch 1 Guild

I just read the email in the other thread (Batch 1 Preparation Emails Are Going Out). The situation around the input modules is a bummer and kind of wasn’t communicated until now, at all.
But Batch 1 is out the factory by the end of next week. I expect them to immidiately start working on Batch 2 after that, so those will definitely start shipping before New Year.
With Batch 3 it’s very likely going to be after the holidays, though, you’re right.

2 Likes

Reads Email
I ordered an RGB Macro Pad…
Weeps Quietly in a corner

Looking forward to seeing some other Batch 1 members post pictures/reviews/videos though.

4 Likes

Didn’t know that. My order had 2 sets of black spacers… that’s why I wanted to make sure.

1 Like

Got my preparing batch email…But I really want to take off that dang " RGB Macropad Module" and get the led side modules instead. I don’t want to wait until March or later just because of that macro pad.

Hopefully support gets to my ticket I sent yesterday morning regarding removing it.

3 Likes

I’m batch 11. Since “11” is two "1"s, maybe they’ll send me two batch 1 laptops

9 Likes

Does anyone know whether they can send the laptop without the RGB macropad module and just send that along a month later? I don’t mind using just the default gray spacers for a month haha

3 Likes

You could just alter your order and take off the macropad, then order the macropad separately

1 Like

How? I see no way to alter the order, short of sending in a support request, which I already did yesterday. They may charge me before they see the support request.

2 Likes

I’ve considered doing that and adding a ten-key instead, but once I have the macropad, I intend to use it quite often as a ten-key so I would have a useless ten-key sitting around that will probably become e-waste at some point…

2 Likes

Got my prep email as well. Will probably be delayed due to the RGB US keyboard, but hopefully this is a little under promise, over deliver and it gets shipped before the Lunar new year.

3 Likes

I’d probably prefer this too. I don’t want to wait until after the holiday chaos to get my laptop.

3 Likes

As a long shot – is anyone in the Batch 1 Guild in the greater Boston, MA area? I’m working on a replacement keyboard module (I love my trackpoint) but am way back in batch 16. I’d love to get ten minutes hands-on with a FW16 to check out details of the screen hinge and midplate and test fit some keyboards.

9 Likes

Or you could 3D print a case for the ten-key, and have it as an external pad. The internal connections are USB-2 so all you need is a standard USB cable off a defunct device (assuming the cable is ok and not the cause of device being defunct).

I suspect there will be quite a little industry doing 3D cases for this purpose, to add something like the LED matrix modules or the macro pad or the ten-key to a FW13 …

2 Likes

That looks really cool, sadly I live a sea away, but if you’re ever traveling, or just keep updating everyone on your progress, that would be lovely!

1 Like

I got the 2 TB and 64 GB versions of these two respectively, so hopefully no changes in compatibility just because of the size.

1 Like

This is my final “launch day” configuration:

Base System:
Framework Laptop 16 DIY Edition (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)
System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS

Chargable Custom Options:
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Power Adapter: 180W Power Adapter
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black

Misc Freebies:
Replacement Parts: AC Cable
Accessories & Tools: Poster, patch, and sticker sheet illustrated by Stephen Maurice Graham
Accessories & Tools: Starfield™ Premium Edition game code (only with configurations that include a Graphics Module)

Input Items:
Keyboard: International English - Linux
Numpad: Numpad Module

Expansion Cards:
4X USB-C Expansion Card
1X USB-A Expansion Card
1X HDMI (3rd Gen) Expansion Card
1X Audio Expansion Card
1X Ethernet Expansion Card

Items procured via third party vendors include:

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws SO-DIMM 64GB (2 x 32GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 5600 (PC5 44800) Laptop Memory Model F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS
NVME Primary: SAMSUNG SSD 990 PRO 2TB, PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280, Seq. Read Speeds Up-to 7,450MB/s (MZ-V9P2T0B/AM)
Case: Rickshaw Bagworks Sutro Messenger
3 Likes

It just so happens that I am both of those things! If you’d like, I’ll let you know when I receive my laptop, which should be pretty soon (no RGB macropad).

4 Likes

Fantastic! Now I feel like an honorary member of the batch 1 guild, since I’ll be eagerly watching the shipping schedule on your behalf. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dude is there any possible for me to take a glance of it? I’m in Boston too, I’m like batch8 but really want to take a look.

2 Likes

This would be a sweet idea. I ordered a num pad, but not sure if I will need it or not. As of now, I find myself using it out of muscle memory (on a desktop keyboard), but not sure if I will loose that habit once I move over to a laptop. I don’t think I would like typing off-centered so I am going to try to figure it out once I get it.

If I decide not to use the num pad, I would like to repurpose it as a external keypad though. It would be great to use occasionally (especially when using spreadsheets), and not have it on the laptop itself.

Despite being able to reconfigure quickly, I really don’t want to be constantly swapping. I still don’t know how I’m going to end up using it so undecided on a “semi-permanent” config.

This is also why I have both the GPU and the blank expansion slot.

1 Like