FW16 compatible Thunderbolt docks

I know we already have a Thunderbolt/USB-C Dock Megathread but since this thread is not hardware specific (expecially mixing Intel/AMD and different Laptop generations), I would like to collect user experiences with Docking Stations that work with the Framework 16 including experiences when used on combination with Linux distrubtions (predominantly tested under Fedora and Ubuntu LTS for the sake of Frameworks official Distro support).

Since the Framework 16 is more like a Workstation Laptop, I expect many people would like to use it with a Docking station when at home. If enough compatible Docks are reported, they could be collected into a wiki, similar to the megathread or ideally even added to it to differentiate between FW13 and FW16 (which is currently not the case there).

And if Framework is reading this: I would love to see a Docking station released by Framework that is compatible with all of their laptops and makes use of the expansion card system to allow for port customization by its users (this one is optional). Since Dock compatibility is such a big issue that it gives reason for its own megathread, i think this would actually be a good product addition to Frameworks portfolio. The ability to select the ports yourself might even make it more attractive to users of other laptop brands and could bring more customers to Framework. And since Framework is also targeting businesses with their products (where laptops are always used with docking stations), a docking station might actually make their laptops more attractive to them.

2 Likes

I wasn’t seeing a business case for a framework dock given how flooded the market is with those, but the bit about expansion cards is interesting. It would be cool if I could put all my unused/extra expansion cards into a large docking bay so I can still use them while at my desk without needing to swap them out.

The issues with docks is simply compatibility. Due to the many standards they have to support, even when using windows, it is always a gamble if a docking station is going to work with your system if it does not come from the same supplier. If you are a business, you are not going to deal with compatibility issues. Where I work, everything is done on ThinkPads and Thinkstations and you do not see any docking solution other than that made by Lenovo. Since there exists no dock that is compatible with all Framework laptops and especially not all operating systems officially supported by Framework, it would make sense for any company switching to Framework as their PC supplier to also buy their docking solution to avoid all potential compatibility issues. No company I know of would want to deal with docks and computers from different manufacturers if they cannot avoid it.

If you run Lenovo, its essentially all lenovo. If you run Dell its essentially all Dell. If you run HP, its essentially all HP. Nothing else really makes sense because compatibility is essentially guaranteed and if there is an issue, you have on support for everything.