FW16 rapidly loses battery when shut down (but not when suspended)

I have a FW16 running Arch Linux with KDE. Around 18 hours ago, I shut down my laptop at ~60% battery using the “Shut Down” button, and when I turned my computer back on, it was at 2%.

This is really weird, especially as a few weeks ago I did some tests with simply closing the lid rather than shutting down (which I have configured to suspend-and-hibernate since s0idle was horrible) and they only lost ~1% per hour. There’s no reason that hibernation should be using so much less battery than actually shutting down!

As far as I can tell, my computer did indeed properly shut off, as there are no journalctl logs between then and now, and the last few logs before shutdown were the following:

Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: Reached target System Shutdown.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: Reached target Late Shutdown Services.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: systemd-poweroff.service: Deactivated successfully.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: Finished System Power Off.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: Reached target System Power Off.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd[1]: Shutting down.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd-shutdown[1]: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Jun 09 23:31:56 iceland systemd-journald[388]: Journal stopped

Perusing my journalctl, I do see a ton of kwin_core: parsing edid failed errors from kwin_x11 (and many other varied errors) but I can’t presume that those are related.

I did see some old reports that KDE GUI buttons didn’t work, like here, High battery discharge rate during suspend / when lid closed KDE - #3 by Oliver_Jensen, but I’m not sure if it’s related. My journal has entries like Jun 09 23:31:53 iceland dbus-broker-launch[743]: Activation request for 'org.freedesktop.UPower' failed. but again it seems to have successfully shut off?

I’m really not sure what’s going on here. I have 2 USB-C ports, 3 USB-A ports, a headphone jack, and no graphics card installed as modules. I turned off Bluetooth as well in case that was an issue, but it seems like it wasn’t.

I do notice that after I shut down, the power button still stays on for a bit - is that a sign of something?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

That does sound really weird. Might be a one-time thing?

If not, the first line of defense would be this. It fixes a lot of Framework glitches.

If that doesn’t solve it, I’d suggest contacting support. No doubt they have troubleshooting techniques that I’m not aware of.

Thanks! While I do that and report back, you’ve reminded me of another issue which has to be related: when I click the “restart” button, it doesn’t restart at all and goes into the state where the power button is lit up as I mentioned above, and I have to hold the power button to fix it. Maybe it truly is having issues with properly shutting down?

Edit: Yeah, after doing the above steps, it’s still doing the weird reboot, both through KDE and using the command-line reboot. The numpad lights are remaining on as well, and even turning on my keyboard lights with Fn+Space is responsive.

Hmm, interesting, it looks like my laptop is rebooting properly when using the kernel linux rather than linux-lts (which I’d been using due to touchpad issues a while back). I’ll uninstall linux-lts and see if that also helps the shutdown battery drain issue.

2 Likes

Yup, indeed after switching to the newest linux kernel (now that the touchpad issue seems to have been resolved), my laptop only lost 0-1% after shutting down for 24 hours. Hopefully this thread will help others who may have similar issues on older Linus kernels.

1 Like