HDMI output, not detecting max resolution of external displays

Hi Guys

I’ve recently setup my Framework 13 AMD with linux mint, I’ve updated to kernel 6.5, have fingerprint etc working. However I’m having an issue with my external screen. I am conecting to it with the hdmi module but whatever I do it will only show a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800. Things I’ve tried:

Putting the module in all 4 slots, makes no difference
Using different cables, makes no difference
Trying 2 other screens of different make/model, no difference
Forcing additional mode lines with xrandr, no difference

Im pretty stummped atm so any help would be muchly appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

Having that from time to time. Seems driver related.
Usually unplugging the screen and re-plugging after 5 secs brings the full resolution back.

PS: I have that behavior through the dock/HDMI or adapter-hdmi.

2 Likes

Thanks Jorg, that did the trick, cant beleive it was so simple!

Yes, I have the same issue! And thank you Jorg, unplugging and replugging works for me!! However, this issue seems to occur with high probability when I wake from suspend, so I’d appreciate if anyone has a more permanent (probably driver-related) solution… :slight_smile:

For the record, I’m on a new Framework 13 AMD, running Debian 12 with GNOME, and I have updated to the latest available BIOS version (3.05). My external monitor is an old 1080x1920 monitor that connects with VGA, so I use an external VGA-HDMI dongle (and, of course, I am using the HDMI expansion card, which is in position 1).

(My old laptop (LG Gram) ran an older version of Debian with GNOME and never had this issue with the same dongle and monitor.)