High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition)

For me, resume from S3 takes longer (12-13s) than from hibernate (10s), defeating the purpose.

As seen from early in this thread, other laptops drain a fraction of the power in s0ix vs. Framework. There is still a lot of room for FW-specific improvement.

Oh yes! Suspend to RAM ftw

Even on the Thinkpad T14 you would think that “Linux sleep” will give me support for S3
Not true. But, at least after I press the power button, the machine will go to sleep. Provided that I do not plug/unplug anything (including power)

Well, all the diaplay adapter cards contain active circuitry, so they will drain some power.
And then come the fact that we have slots for RAM, which is more inefficient than direct routing to soldered chips.
It also does not bypass the fact that S0IC/IX is absolute horrific.

It also depend on device manufacturers, and my Thinkpad seem to have a feature called “auto-hibernate” which will put the device into hybernation after sleep(ing) for a certain amount of time or after a (system) specified amount of power is drained. It’s called “dozing off” or something. I saw a log saying that and was super-confused.

You might have to connect/disconnect it before/after you sleep your computer.
Really? Although it does make some sense, since S3 turns off the CPU (mostly), which probably also includes the onboard Thunderbolt controllers.

That’s precisely what I want to avoid, haha. What happens if I try to enter S3 with it connected is that it disconnects and I have to unplug+replug to reconnect it.

I’d copy my custom service to handle brightness on/off AC and create one to swap the sleep type on AC attach (I only ever use my egpu when charging), but you need a restart after the registry hack to change from modern standby to S3.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused by the S3 sleep behavior, why does it take this long? On my X200 it wakes within 5s or so! Would it be possible for this to be patched through bios?

Although the people who use S3 is probably very limited considering it’s a mod on Windows (unless Linux uses it by default, haven’t checked).

S3 on WIndows under the 11th gen mainboard didn’t take long to resume. However there weren’t any real power savings from it that I noticed, so I switched back to S0 but with network disconnected.

2 Likes

S3 is “suspend to RAM” which basically turns off the CPU but keep the memory alive.

S0 Low Power keeps the CPU in a “low powered state”, which, even in S0 dont consume that many power (as I am typing my Ryzen 5 4650U reports 2.5-3W of power consumption) in the first place.

So depending on optimizations, chipset and OS routines it might take a while. Not to mention how Windows 11 is vastly different (from Windows 10).

Yeah I am aware of that, I was commenting on it not taking long to resume because others had questioned or mentioned that S3 took a long time to resume from. I think they might have been thinking of a bug under Linux that caused S3 to take a long time to resume from when running Linux and a specific kernel. (Long time here being a few seconds instead of instant.)

1 Like

S3 is also relegated to “linux/legacy sleep state”, which I guess is what that is causing the issue.

I think it’s down the not-so-great support state for S3 sleep, as covered in one of Linus’ more recent videos.

How long is that?

I use hibernate which takes 7 seconds to save to ‘NVMe’
On my dual boot which brings up GRUB from hibernate I have the 7 seconds to load from NVMe ’ select ‘Windows’ another 2 seconds i.e. 9 seconds before password request.

S0 was a mess and took at least as long as hibernate

Windows Suspend (that’s sleep ~ right) a different matter with it’s ‘instant’ showing without having to log in. Is there not meant to be a login when waking from sleep?

So I haven’t had the issue in either of my laptops since I have stopped unplugging the laptop when it’s sleeping. It’s kind of annoying because I have to wake up the laptop before unplugging it and then put it back to sleep.

1 Like

I’d like to see where my Framework 12th-gen stands on this issue - I’ve experienced some of the same problems as many other users.

However this problem’s reporting methodology among users is all over the map, understandably. Perhaps it would be good to make a suite of specific scenarios and battery run-down tools we can all try so we can get consistent information?

I’d be happy to spend some time going through specific steps, even if it takes a long time, but only if there’s a way to aggregate such data into something useful for troubleshooting. Currently poring through the comments is a frustrating experience, it’s hard to know what is relevant, and hard to compare results to other users.

I’m happy to help with this but I’d be of limited use, it’s out of my area of expertise.

[I’m not very active here in the forums, apologies if this isn’t the right place to put this comment]

Cross-posting this solution here because it has completely stopped random fan ramp-ups when in sleep from turning the inside of my laptop bag into a furnace. Laptop Fan Ramping Up in Sleep - #15 by Mr_Darcy

@BJ_Kramer Would you be willing to test this on your 12th gen? I can confirm this fixes the issue on 11th gen i5, Windows 10 Pro.

1 Like

While it’s still not perfect, I recently discovered that Windows Phone Link is responsible for a lot of CPU usage in sleep. With Phone Link running and the laptop on a charger, as soon as it goes to sleep it starts overheating with the fans blaring. With Phone Link turned off, same setup, there is no fan noise at all.

3 Likes

@Be_Far that seems to have worked for me to prevent it from overheating and fans turning on.

I’m still not getting proper sleep though, and the culprit is the audio controller. Did anyone find a proper solution to this?

1 Like

Update:
Not sure if any of these issues are framework specific, but documenting anyway for anyone in the future.

• Disabling Fx Sound removed the Intel SST problem (so far) and reduced power consumption to about a third
  • There was a weird temporary issue with find my device, only happened once
  • Quitting Phone link reduced power usage by ~20%, but it’s not something I’d want to do regularly.
  • Main culprit now is the C10.Unkown, which I believe some people mentioned earlier

I’ve managed to get it down to about 2%/hour, down from 12%/hour, which is acceptable. If anyone has any advice about C10 let me know.

2 Likes

Yup, both phone link and FxSound are horrible for battery…

1 Like

Ooh, thanks for this! I’ll test and report back.

Phone Link is notoriously power hungry, I use KDE Connect’s windows build to get around that. All of the clipboard-sharing and media functionality, significantly less battery usage.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, but how does one go about doing this? Is it a service, and if so what is the name, etc.

It’s a popular third party app some of us had, not a windows service. I just stopped using it.

Win 10
11th gen
USB-A, HDMI (modded & flashed w/ experimental FW), USB-C, SD Card Reader
Latest BIOS & Driver Package installed

With nothing plugged into the expansion cards, I will put my laptop to sleep before bed, and my laptop will subsequently drain down to nearly zero by the time I wake up.

Sleep study seems to suggest various USB things are the culprit:

This doesn’t make any sense, though. Nothing is plugged in except the expansion cards. The same problem occurs even with the HDMI expansion removed. Can someone help me understand what is going on here?

Thank you.