[Honeywell PTM7950 Phase Change Thermal Pads/Sheets] Application, Tips, and Results

Could you make a photo of the precautions installed by FW for LM?

Framework does not install liquid metal for any of the Framework 13s as they are designed for thermal paste only. They haven’t made any official announcement about a switch to liquid metal for the 13.

Do you happen to have a picture of what you saw?

I don’t have any photos from when I first got it. I might open it up to take some. Not really excited to do so, LM gets everywhere with the slightest provocation.

Oh, if you don’t have pictures of how it originally was, then it’s fine.

Since when are they doing that on the 13? Or are you talking about a 16 with a hs chip?

In my testing the difference between lm and ptm was margin of error at least without going to great lengths to bypass stapm throttling and I only figured that out after I moved on to lm so I was not able to see if it makes a bigger difference at higher loads.

If I knew then what I know now I’d probably not have moved on to lm but my mind could not comprehend a pad being allmost as good as lm so i expected even bigger imprevements XD.

The trick is not provoking it XD

But yeah nasty stuff, is conductive, goes everywhere and eats solder (and aluminum which the laptop happens to be made of). So ptm having most of the performance with none of that mess was quite a surprise to me.

I’ve had my core ultra for a couple weeks now (loving it (Ultra 7 155H) and had some leftover thermal pads (this Honeywell stuff we’re talking about in this thread). What would be the best course of action to get some results for the rest of the community of before and after?

Hopefully it stays that way! I think the safety of PTM7950 is worth the minuscule performance difference.

4 Likes

I agree with you on this one. I would much prefer the 13 sticking to either regular thermal paste we can easily replace with PTM, or switching to PTM instead of thermal paste.

I have yet to find a single real reason to use liquid metal over PTM.

6 Likes

Has anyone else found liquid metal being applied to the stock Intel core CPUs on their framework 13 when opening it up ?

i want to give people an update regarding the initial ebuy7 link in the OP. I ordered a sheet from them in September and want to tell people that in my package there are no longer any stickers refering to honeywell and came in two sealed bags. the tools in one and the material in the other. it doesn’t initially ring potential fake material yet until i apply later today i will record my results and then say if i believe the source is now potentially fake.

1 Like

Back to answer my own question: about 27.75x11mm. Seems safe to go a little bigger, and that helps with placement too.

My semi-scientific measurements agree with the consensus that PTM7950 helps on the 12th Gen: idle temps are 3-4 degrees cooler (~45C to ~41C in ~23C ambient). Under a s-tui stress test the core temps measured up to 5C cooler and the fan took two minutes to hit the observed max 6800rpm, whereas it got there in 30 seconds before.

Not earth-shattering improvements for my real-world use: I’d kind of hoped some of the short periods of fan noise would go away or quiet down but that part of the experience is roughly the same. Still better, though.

2 Likes