[Honeywell PTM7950 Phase Change Thermal Pads/Sheets] Application, Tips, and Results

So I ordered the big size because I’m a dumb American who really ought to be used to doing metric conversions and omg, I’ll never use this all haha.

Granted, I wanted to do my Xbox along with my eGPU but I’m certain to have extra, enough for quite a long time I expect…anyone know the shelf life on this stuff? Pics for reference on what you get when you order.

2 Likes

Did the conversion, 200mm x 160mm is ~7.87 x ~6.30 inches. Busted out the tape measure and oh my that’s a lot :joy:

This page has a lot of information, including the PDFs in the TDS, SDS & Technical documents section.

In this document for Honeywell’s “pad format TIM” on page 2, it says that at room temperature at <65% RH (relative humidity) it has a shelf life of 12 months.

For PTM7950 specifically, here on page 2, with a storage condition of 19-24°C (that’s 66.2-75.2°F for us dumb American folks :melting_face:), <65%RH, it also says it has a shelf life of 12 months:

Directly from Honeywell’s site it also says 12 months in the Specifications tab, and in the Thermal Interface Materials Electronics Brochure in the Resources tab on page 7, it says:

Shelf Life: 12 months (Storage condition on the package for directions)

Though I’m willing to bet those specifications are for precision usage and wouldn’t really matter too much in consumer usage a la our mainboards or your Xbox, because of my anecdata seeing how performance didn’t degrade after 19 months in my Intel i7-1165G7 mainboard. May be best to ask LTT support directly.

Edit:
oh yeah, I still have my almost 2 year old material from the first post in this thread (from ebuy7 and Alibaba). Been waiting to install it in my AMD 7840U for after I figure out a data gathering procedure. Whenever I get around to installing it, I’ll update, though I don’t have new sheets for comparison. Maybe I’ll purchase from LTT to support them. Or if someone else wants to do it, I’ll ship my aged sheets over for free! :smiley: since I don’t think I’ll be getting to it for a while

5 Likes

Bought mine from an Aliexpress store with a small set for under $5. Used about 25% of the provided amount on my 1260p. I have to say I’m another convert in this group as my laptop is noticeably quieter (didn’t do a before and after temp) even after running a stress test stress --cpu for about an hour.

Link to the store incase anyone wants a cheaper, smaller one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004744337186.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.101.1bfa1802AZP7hN

4 Likes

I bought some off E-bay. Seems genuine enough, but the merchand may have replaced the sticker. Mine says “Period of Validity: 3 years. Production date: 2023.11.25”

I peeled off the sticker, and the one underneath is in Chinese (I think) and mentions a date of 2024.02.15.

1 Like

As I understand it, the whole point of this stuff is that its industrially rated, meaning should have a operational life of over 10 years. So that means a shelf life of that minimum, as long as it’s not contaminated.

Google Lens says that’s Production date, FWIW.

1 Like

Excellent! Just applied some Honeywell PTM 3180 and am seeing a reduction of 10 to 15 degrees C in resting temperatures after starting my framework laptop (13 inch, i5 1240P, 64 GB DDR4 3200). Definitely wished I had done this sooner, is going to hopefully resolve the overheating issues I was getting with thermal paste.

Here is a photo of my application before putting the heatsink back on:

Here is a link to an LTT video that shows how to apply the thermal pads:
LTT Video on Thermal Pads

Is definitely a welcome alternative and something to try before upgrading to an AMD mainboard, as it’s a lot cheaper.

P.S. Am aware that PTM 3180 is not the same as PTM 7950, was having some trouble sourcing the latter, but am still getting significant improvements over thermal paste such as Arctic MX-4 and even Arctic MX-6.

2 Likes

I guess half as good as 7950 is still better than paste.

3 Likes

Hi. Could you pls tell me what is your pad’s thickness? 0.25mm or 0.20mm? Because i already ordered 0.20mm version from Amazon joyjom and im not sure if its fake or what :disappointed: