How does the battery disconnect feature work?

I’ve read some of the threads about the battery disconnect option and still can’t wrap my head about how it works? Do I just enable it on BIOS while having the AC plugged in? What do I do if I want to use my battery again? Poweroff my laptop and disable it in the BIOS?

it was my understanding it was an option specifically meant for the purposes of maintenance on the system. Boot into BIOS > Toggle disconnect battery > Shut down system.

This allows you to open it and not worry about shorting something out, before one can unplug the battery. This functionality is on most if not all laptops in current year with a built in battery. The battery “re-attaches” the next time the system boots up.

2 Likes

Huh, I thought it was for those who have their laptop plugged in most of the time so that the battery won’t degrade.

Not sure about the battery disconnect option, but the BIOS has an option to limit the max charge level of the battery. Limiting it to something like 85% can help prolong the life of the battery, but you’re sacrificing run time in the process.

I don’t think you can use it this way, as when you set it, the UEFI/BIOS states that it will just shutdown the system. When you power it back on, it is reconnected again.

Linus Tech Tips’s first Framework video seemed to imply that the intent of this feature was for using the laptop with the battery disconnected, so even though that’s not necessarily the case (I think the reason for the feature was the maintenance thing, but maybe it was both), presumably it’s possible for the laptop to boot into an OS with the battery disconnected.
I came here, based on that assumption, to see if a utility exists to toggle the battery disconnect feature from within an OS, or if such a utility could exist, or if it’ll never exist because it’s essentially if not literally impossible.
“How does the battery disconnect feature work?” seems like an appropriately broad topic for me to reply here rather than start a new thread.