How's everyone's [55Wh] battery health and wear looking?

Not accurate. At the end of the day, what you really / actually care about is how long you can use your laptop for, per charge. That’s what really matters. Wear level is just a rough guesstimation.

It’s like…mileage of a car…it’s not exact…and what really matters is you want to know if your car will crap out on you, and how much it’ll cost to fix the issue. Mileage is just a rough indicator of likelihood of potential issue.

Or age of a person…you get the idea…

1 Like

From my test that seems to be true :slight_smile:

• Designed battery capacity (DC)
  • Maximum charge at any given time (MC) To find this the battery requires a complete discharge and a full 100% charge

MC divide by DC will indicate the wear on the battery in terms of capacity.

Other wear is harder to assess

Heat damage by fast charging may be breaking down some insulation and that sort of wear is more difficult to assess. One way of measuring it would be to measure the battery charge low when not powered on.

This type of degradation id more often liked to the cycles that a battery goes through.

So we have wear as in capacity (CA) and wear as in cycles (CY)

I’ll let someone else find a formula for their interaction :slight_smile:

After 6 cycles mine is at 96%

1 Like

Batteries never come with no wear, that’s around the percentage most people start with so don’t worry.

2 Likes

Technically true because they are at least charged (once or more) at the factory.

However, a lot of the time, a [good] new battery would be able get a full charge capacity anywhere between 1-5% above designed capacity. My Framework laptop was able to get a full charge about 1% above the designed capacity for the first 5-8 cycles.

1 Like

Given the inability to update posts more than a couple of weeks old here is the latest graph.

• It seems to have stabilised to around 4.5%
  • Most often morning readings are lower, not always, the common factors are a) having rested overnight and b) colder temperatures
More details

You can use the URL in the screenshot for more info

UPDATED 17th Nov 22 Full discharge and charge on 28th Oct whence the wear dropped to 4.0 ??

Previous post

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Battery Availability Problems and Brainstorming

Have you tried calibration it may not be 15%, not that 15% is extremly poor?

I joined this thread not so much to mention my battery wear but to comment on the fact that replacement batteries are still not available to buy 15 months after the first computers were shipped. That is incredibly poor logistics.

It would seem more appropriate to post elsewhere then. How about

I have asked that your initial post and responses be moved to that topic.

Mine is at 12% wear after use since February of this year.

Sounds like maybe a batch 8 :slight_smile:

You can try and recalibrate the system via a full discharge and recharge, however you do not detail your use case so 12% may be reasonable or not.

Win10 Pro Batch 6 11th gen here.

I used it fully on-charge at no cap for a month or so, capped at 80 and fully on-charge for around six months, and then the past few months back at no cap with daily on-battery use.

SleepStudy says my effective capacity is 94%, so I’m very impressed. I typically get 6 hours of note taking/web browsing and then charge it back up for some more use before leaving it charging overnight. The battery life itself has been pretty consistent in that respect, but I’d still be first in line to buy a drop-in battery upgrade.

1 Like

So my battery wear has taken a pretty drastic turn the past few months. My batch 4 1135 running Win 11 went from 4% to 2% from last October to this August, but the end of September gave me 7%, which I think is fine and within likely error, but today it checked in at 12.1%. I did a calibration 5%-100% charge the last few checks to try to be consistent. Anyone else have “sudden” wear like this?

I haven’t checked on a consistent basis like @amoun and can’t say how many cycles I’ve been through, but my use (4-6 hours on battery workdays) hasn’t changed drastically.

1 Like

Hi I’ve noticed it can take a few days to settle in.

What is the current charge limit and have you always had the same limit.

I also notice that ‘usually’ in the mornings, when the battery has cooled and recovered it has a lower reading.

I’m using Win 11 HWinFo64 and have no idea of how the measurements are taken and worked on ??

As my previous post containing data has become uneditable here is my latest offering. There is no clear understanding of why, late in November the wear jumped to well over 5%. At one instance it was 5.8 but today has dropped to 4.1

29th Nov Just after updating to BIOS 3.17 and the wear now reads 5.0 ??

5th Dec Changed charge limit from 78 to 100 to 78 and cycles increased by 1

**UPDATED: 24th Dec

December 2022** Battery 10- months old

The blip around the 13th Dec :: I’m wondering if the cold weather, as it was only 2 or 3 degrees above freezing for a few night where the laptop was left for some 16 hours a day.

Anyway I accidentally used without power so fully discharged (3%) reset Battery charge limit to 100 and wear has dropped from 5.9 to 4.6

1 Like

Hi this is my final update on ‘my’ battery wear as posts can only be edited for a month and posting more doesn’t seem ‘right’

My laptop and battery are 10 months old and given the latest data the battery hasn’t worn during that time. There are anomalies. Most of the time I use the laptop plugged in after the first couple months, this is where it started to ‘decrease’

I usually use hibernate in Windows on ‘lid close’ however five days ago I was using Ubuntu and closed the lid, which is not set up to hibernate. When I powered on and let the battery charge some 6% back up to it’s preset 78% I checked the wear. I was surprised to see it had dropped 1% ~ effectively taking the wear back to where it was when I received it.

So here is the latest graph as of 30th Jan 2023

This graph will be updated until the end of January when the post will close. As I will not be adding another post, battery wear after 11 months will be found at my Framework site

The graph shows the lowest value for each day. See link above for more readings

Relatively:

• The battery is rated with a wear of 20% after a 1000 cycles or 2% after 100
  • Mine has around 4.5 after 60 equivalent so 375% above expectations.

55Wh (80% capacity after 1000 cycles) Battery Capacity
Framework | Framework Laptop Comparison

What wasn’t specified is the use that can produce such. ??

1 Like

I’ve got around 3% wear on the first 4 days of my usage.
Set my MaxCharge to 80% and let the power be plugged in the whole day.

This is probably to be expected. More to come.

1 Like

Yes on the first day mine showed 3.4% :slight_smile:

I have an 11th gen framework from 11/2021(1.25 years old). My battery stats are:

• 80 cycles
  • capacity of 96.0246%
  • BIOS charge capped at 80%

It’s on 24x7, and most of the time it’s plugged in. The usage is mostly light(web browsing/text editing/email) a couple hours a day.

Everything seems fine so far. I surely worry about the battery far more than I need to. Especially considering it’s so inexpensive and easy to replace if there’s ever a problem with it.

I took the battery out of the laptop to look for a manufacturing date on the bottom(I couldn’t find one). It was securely held in with screws and plastic tabs instead of god awful adhesive. The screws were numbered and captive(impossible to loose). It’s hard to imagine a significantly more user friendly experience!

6 Likes