I dont like the audio jack gone

Same I was all set to replace my 2015 iphone 6s with a Fairphone until that… Still getting regular security updates so at least one more year… Again!

This is true, for those interested in a headphone jack you only get one additional port but hey now it can go whichever side you want and like others said it is way easier to repair.

3 Likes

@GhostLegion

Really? Took a look at a few on notebookcheck and I’m seeing the norm as 7-8 ports, not counting any dedicated mic and headphone jacks as 2 and NOT counting the power delivery.

Edit: I guess the point was 5 ports you want rather than how many ports…

I searched the most recently released 16.x" seems to be as before Framework has the trade-off of fewer ports but with customisation and easy replacements.

1 Like

I hope there will be a default expansion card that will have two or more modules and a battery :thinking: I’ll take that one. And the GPU one will have to provide display ports as well… They didn’t have that in the demos but who knows what will actually see the light of day.
I’d actually take 8 expansion cards and I’d prefer a less curved bottom of the laptop at the sides in the front.

Also as a saving grace it could be that somebody will have usbc splitters. I don’t really need all connections to be USB3, usb2 is fine for mouses and other slow stuff.

1 Like

Anyone who cares more about audio quality is happy. A dedicated dac separated from the high noise mainboard is very nice! Also, I wouldn’t want history to repeat itself with the 13" dac quality on the 16" xD

2 Likes

I mean, the excuses they give were not true at all, taking an insignificant amount of plastic and metal doesn’t help with the weight, it doesn’t also make reparability more difficult, and making the jack waterproof is not rocket science, also not expensive and not difficult. It was a bad move

And for the ports, I think that it will be better to have more so that I can build the layout I like, having the option to change them all the time sounds a little like trouble, and is not optimal, my layout has to be ready to use, not if I didn’t forget the other card or wait I have to go take the other card.
It may be more interesting having all cards in 2in1 configuration, usb c+A, c+hdmi, c+dp, c+jack, c+sd, and so on, so there is no need to make such a big sacrifice

Correct.

1 Like

Do we know it is not just a repackaged audio board which, unless I misunderstood what you mean, is already separate from the mainboard? Certainly looks like it would fit.

Edit: The FF3 has not claimed any IP54 rating only 3rd party sites indicated as much while the FF4 has an IP54 rating according to Fairphone themselves.

Agreed, particularly noteworthy is the FP4 has (the same IPX rating as the FP3) a low IP54 rating, the other mains reason was as I recall that the jack could wear out within the 5 year warranty… The best argument they made was the space premium of the internals but it isn’t exactly as small phone either! A done to death topic for sure and one that has lost me as a customer.

I know exactly what you mean and do feel similar but I think this requires a perspective shift and looking to the future.

How often while mobile do you need more than 5 ports and how often do those required ports change? As type C become more ubiquitous the need for different ports and even multiples of them should fade. When at a fixed work space I think using a dock solves the port number/swapping out ports issue entirely but I understand if that isn’t something that works for you or interests you.

I don’t like the feeling of having to choose a limited number of ports and I hate dongles of any description but I see that the benefits of being able to choose and replace ports easily is on balance is better.

1 Like

Yes we do, the audio board does not contain the DAC itself. That’s on the mainboard.
nrp also stated that the DAC was far more high end in the expansion card!

6 Likes
  • Not true :slight_smile: The FP3 has no IPX rating

The jack wasn’t a separate module as the USB C is in the FP4, and a little extra space saved was probably more important.

1 Like

Interesting. I looked into it and found this How “waterproof” is the FP3? IP Rating - #8 by AnotherElk - The Products - Fairphone Community Forum
In the linked thread the user diwic indicates support told them IP54 and the post above that links a post from August 2019 General Fairphone 3 discussion - #20 by z3ntu - The Products - Fairphone Community Forum which states the product page indicates IP54 and nobody seems to contest it there.

Maybe it was unofficially maybe not either way removal of the jack didn’t really make it any more waterproof.

Some websites and vendors advertised it as IP54 and with an FM radio ??

IP Rating

We are happy to share that Fairphone 4 is the first Fairphone device to receive a certified IP (Ingress Protection) rating from the IEC.

It makes us very proud to get an IP certification while respecting the right to repair and allowing our customers to fix their phones by themselves.

The Fairphone 4 has an IP rating of 54.

The Fairphone 3(+) and 2 have no IP rating.

1 Like

The audio jack is not “gone”…it’s been modularized.

Audio jack, module. USB-A, module. Keyboard, module. dGPU, module. Numpad, module. You get the idea.

It actually makes a lot of sense for the roadmap of repairability evolution. Think desktop, those ‘parts’ are actually modules, with various electronic interfaces. Laptop parts have been too tightly coupled for the last 40 years.

5 Likes

I think 2 in 1 USB-c and headphone jack port that consume 1 space would solve the problem of not having enough port.

It would be nice to have 2 port that consume 1 space in general like 2 USB a since I don’t need support fast speed for a mouse for example.

1 Like

So if one fails you have to replace the whole module ?

I think also you will find the audio jack is not just a jack but a Digital to Analogue Converter and so would not fit in a module with a USB C

2 Likes

It depends on how often you change from workspace, if someone has a laptop that should be the case, otherwise why choose a laptop, nowadays home office is sort of common, so you can change between a minimum of 2 workspaces, and yes, if I have 2 fixed workspaces I will choose to have on each one a dock and only have to hook one cable, but what if your workspace in the office is not fixed, it depends on which desktop is free or work with different teams or need to do presentations in different places. As I see it, the purpose of a laptop is staying in movement and therefore it has to make life easy and not challenge or limit it

It will be better than not having the extra port or have to change it all the time

the card is thick enough to allocate 2 pcbs or simply use a multilayer pcb

I don’t think that is a good argument against it.

That’s a better one but given the fit dacs into much smaller spaces for phone usb-c to headphone jack cables (not all phones have an analog output on the usb-c so those aren’t all passive cables) I am confident one could fit into a module along side a usb2 only usb A port or something (using the 3.0 portion for the dac, could also got the other way around but an usb 3 only usb a port would be non standard and potentially confusing).

It seems you haven’t read Frameworks text on that from a year ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have, this isn’t quite the same though. Retaining full fearues on both ports would indeed probably exceed the space. just breaking out the existing io into different parts is a whole other story, especially since pd is out of the picture. Route the usb 2 data lines and 5v to the usb-a socket and the usb 3 data lines to the dac.the only extra components needed would be the dac, the rest is just traces.

1 Like

Please consider how this remark contributed positively and meaningfully to the conversation and then go back and edit your message accordingly. I encourage you to read the Community Guidelines as well. Here’s a prudent excerpt: