I'd love to see a replacement keyboard

When you start setting the requirements, designing, prototyping, sourcing…etc…that’s another year (especially when there’s parallel product development).

A year would certainly be “near” to me.

1 Like

To me, “near” or “far” is based on need rather than time. (Functional need, to fill a functional gap…or quality of life gap kind of thing). But I can see what you mean if you’re on the product development side, having to pay for tooling…etc

13" Framework:   28cm x 10.5

MyCherry 4100:   26cm x 10.5

cherry

That picture is better. The tape measure in the first one makes things really confusing.

LoL…yeah, that’s some unintended mobile photography optical illusion shite…

I had exactly the same problem on the framework 16. I reprogrammed an RGB macropad to provide the home, end page up and down and it works well. The main keyboard on the 16 uses the same rp2040 as the macropad so maybe the 13 does as well. I didn’t use qmk, I wrote my own macro firmware, you might be able to do the same.

I’m afraid the FWL16 is currently unique in using a rp2040 and qmk. The FWL13 handles the keyboard like normal laptops do, within the EC (Embedded Controller) on the mainboard. Though Framework’s EC code is open source & on their github, so anyone can modify themselves if they have the skill.

For most people, a more accessible solution for doing fancy key remapping on the FWL13 would be an advanced OS level remapper, one which offers keyboard layers. On Linux I know there is keyd, kmonad, kbct, probably others.

That’s interesting. Does the on run some firmware or does the laptop scam the keys?
Yes Linux does.have key remapping. I looked at that but wanted unshifted keys that the hardware didn’t have. It could swap keys though.

The latter. The keymatrix is directly connected to the mainboard. Key scanning is done there, within the EC. The keyboard cable connects first to the touchpad board on the FWL13, but it just passes the unchanged raw signals right on through to the cable connected to the mainboard.