[IDEA] Macbook like USB C Hub - Expansion Card

I saw on this community this “idea” isn’t discussed as much as I thought.
I saw recently those usb-c hubs design for the macbook pro:

Here’s a picture and some links, so you can get the Idea

I think you’re getting what I mean: all of them has 2 usb c for the whole hub, I don’t know why a one usb c variant doesn’t exist that does the same job… is it because the hub is made for thunderbolt 3? maybe?

So I’ve begun a month ago looking for something that does this specific job I need, but no luck, almost.

Here’s what I’ve found that has at least one single usb c:

• Link 1
    • It doesn’t have an HDMI and another usb-c for data
  • Link 2
    • Has all the features but it has the usb-c male plug centered, which covers the other port if plugged.

I even tried to make it on my own by using a spare expansion card and buying a “normal” usb c like this:

Opened it and “tried” to route the cable 90 degree from it’s origin,
but the result is… kinda messed up…

Does it work? Of course not.

So yeah, I believe in the community help to achieve what I am looking for or something close enough.
If you can find a hub that is indeed like the design above, has one single male usb-c, and as hub ports at least 1 PD, 1 Usb-C, 1 HDMI and 1 Usb-A or more, that ships in EU, it would be nice.

1 Like

Four Months Later…

I was still looking for a hub until I’ve found this at the end of July.
so at first I’ve simply plugged it in the Usb C and of course, it had a 2 millimiters gap which with the hub’s weight could simply snap.

So here’s what I’ve tried until now:

I’ve unbolted the used original expansion card from the failed attempt

Prototype 1: Art “Attack”

I used the expansion card in the image above, opened it and modified the case to make the Expansion Card pcb go 2 millimiters inside, to remove the gap.
I’ve then plugged in the hub and secured the two cases with superglue, then used a glued pad to secure only the expansion card pcb in the case since the original screws cannot be bolted anymore.

Pros:

It’s now one body

Cons:

• Ugly
  • The superglue isn’t strong enough.

Prototype 2: the L card

In those last 2 months I learned some 3d modeling basics and made myself a case and sent it to a local 3d printing service.

Here’s the result:

Pros:

• Much cleaner
  • It supports M2x10 screws

Cons:

As you can see, the ports weren’t alligned due to a miscalculation made when measuring.

The measuraments were right but the hub in the original case was suspended, and in the 3d model the hub is laid on the bottom.

I’ve used some paper to thicken the bottom to allign the ports to the actual holes and use it until the fixed model arrives at home.

Here’s the result for now:

Prototype 3 - Final

As you read above, I’ve modified the 3d model to fix those issues and improved some little things.

• I’ve moved the ports where they must be
  • Thickened the lid
  • Made some little notches and pegs to secure the pcb to the case
  • Added some cute embossed drawings

Edit: 09 Oct

The new print finally arrived!

The print is sturdier than before, this is actually a plus since I’ll be keeping it plugged most of the times;
The ports alligned perfectly with the offset of 0.3mm, probably they won’t if I haven’t tought of this earlier!

I like it very much and I’m satisfied of this project and if you are interested in the STL files in case you want to replicate my project or to perfect it let me know!

3 Likes

nice! the design you’re at now looks very neat with how you’ve “repurposed” the hub. we’ll see where you go with your continuation…

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve edited my post with the latest update if you’re still interested!