If you could make only 1 change to the Framework Laptop, what would it be?

I will include this (fairly limited) poll but no doubt there will be a myriad of other answers in the replies.

• Larger Screen
  • Touch Screen
  • Higher Refresh Rate
  • Larger Trackpad
  • Add Trackpoint
  • More Expansion Slots
  • Something Else

0 voters

I want to know because I have seen a lot of different views on what people would like from the Framework laptop, and this would be a way for me to better understand the Framework Community.
It’s very interesting to see what people prioritize the most and why.

Also, by limiting the number of theoretical changes to being just 1, the members would be faced to consider others’ priorities, as opposed to only their own.

I will add popular answers from the replies as poll options if I’m able to.

EDIT:

Poll 2!
I’ve eliminated some choices and replaced them with others.

• Better Screen Resolution (scaling)
  • Touch Screen
  • Higher Refresh Rate
  • Bigger/More Efficient Battery
  • Add Trackpoint
  • Dedicated Charging Port
  • More Expansion Slots
  • Higher Build Quality
  • 2nd m.2 Slot
  • Something Else

0 voters

1 Like

Lower screen resolution.

Gimme a 1920x1280 display in the same form factor. I don’t need the higher resolution and I’d love more battery life! Plus then I could ignore all the fractional scaling issues that come with Linux…

If not that, gimme a 3000x2000 that I could run at 200%.

15 Likes

Honestly, only major complaint is battery. Its not a huge deal, but something closer to 10 hours with a bit better power management and capacity would be really nice.

13 Likes

And, as a Windows user, the ability to limit charging to, say, 80% to conserve battery life.

7 Likes

What I want isn’t listed and is rather niche to the majority of consumers

Freed firmware, I want Coreboot, I want a freed EC

I’ll even accept the crappy battery life that comes with stripping most of the Intel ME out of the firmware although I realize not all will do the same

I accept these changes will likely eventually come but I will wait until they arrive

I’m using my Fiancé’s laptop for school right now and it’s fine-I look forward to getting my own laptop

9 Likes

I am another vote for a 3000x2000 resolution display. Fractional scaling isn’t ideal for any OS but I’m a fan of the HiDPI display.

3 Likes

Better battery life! Right now I can’t really treat the Framework as an “all day” laptop – would need to get at least 10-12 hrs of battery life to make the realistic proposition. Hope this might come in the form of an upgraded battery (or better power management) in the future.

8 Likes

I would also really appreciate a longer battery life. Not sure how this could be accomplished but right now I’m only getting around 6 hours which isn’t optimal for a workstation.

I would also like better thermal. I get some throttling sometimes from Valorant.

5 Likes

Being realistic, I’ll once again chime in to say that I want more battery life, and to get it I’d be willing to buy from the marketplace a physically larger battery that takes the space currently occupied by the internal speakers, which I’m more than willing to sacrifice to this cause.

3 Likes

ARM CPU for longer battery life and potentially cooler operation. I would run Linux on it. Now, granted Linux is probably not quite ready for prime time on ARM-based laptops. For the moment, it’s probably just wishful thinking on my part, but would like to see the industry move in this direction.

3 Likes

Larger screen (15"), which would add space for bigger battery, more expansion slots and keyboard with numpad :+1:

Edit: oh also, the screen to be matte.

6 Likes

eh I’ve never had a problem with it on Windows. Linux though is pretty disappointingly bad with scaling.
The current Framework screen resolution seems to be in a perfect spot where 100% is definitely too small and 200% is definitely too big.

3 Likes

I would also want a 3000x2000 as in the contest of cartoonishly large text and UI and clear text vs fractional scaling and blurry text (Fedora 35 GNOME 41) I’ve gone with the clearer text, though I really wish I didn’t have to.

I would also like it in a matte option. With a touch screen. And a higher refresh rate. And pony.

2 Likes

3000x2000, I’m in the fractional scaling is bad camp

1 Like

A built in USB-C (charging) port. As this is a requirement for everyone for charging, I’d rather not give up one of my 4 slots for this. Really you only have 3 expansion slots - as 1 MUST currently be used for charging.

6 Likes

Or use a dock and get charging and everything else

2 Likes

that’s my plan. I hope docks work well with Linux on the Framework

1 Like

Ship batch 5 :innocent:

More seriously: A built-in Ethernet port would be nice. I rarely need one but when I need one I really need it. And it’s annoying to carry a USB Ethernet adapter around. Also consider an SD slot or expansion card.

1 Like

Most of that stuff isn’t anything that matters for my use case for a laptop, though I’m sure it does for others. Higher resolution, higher refresh rate, larger screen, larger trackpad, really don’t matter to me. I don’t have my Framework yet (soon!), but if the trackpad is anything less than excellent, I’d rather have a trackpoint, especially if it included the left and right buttons above the trackpad as well (and a center button would be great too). If the trackpad is excellent, the trackpoint isn’t a top priority for me, but it would still be nice. Along with the trackpoint, a hardware button to enable/disable the trackpad would be fantastic, to eliminate any accidental touching/palming while typing. In fact, I’d love to have a trackpad enable/disable button regardless. When I’m typing, let me quickly toggle that thing off/on.

Assuming the trackpad is good, I’d like longer battery life. Preferably from better efficiency, which would also mean cooler operation. But I’d also be okay with a slightly thicker body for a larger battery. Along with better battery life, the option to limit charge level to 80% would be awesome. I’m anal about that kind of thing and I’d love to be able to limit charge level to 80% and still get 6-8+ hours of battery life.

1 Like

I Would Like To See Detachable Keyboard And Trackpad On Framework Laptop.

2 Likes