If you could make only 1 change to the Framework Laptop, what would it be?

Larger screen (15"), which would add space for bigger battery, more expansion slots and keyboard with numpad :+1:

Edit: oh also, the screen to be matte.

6 Likes

eh I’ve never had a problem with it on Windows. Linux though is pretty disappointingly bad with scaling.
The current Framework screen resolution seems to be in a perfect spot where 100% is definitely too small and 200% is definitely too big.

3 Likes

I would also want a 3000x2000 as in the contest of cartoonishly large text and UI and clear text vs fractional scaling and blurry text (Fedora 35 GNOME 41) I’ve gone with the clearer text, though I really wish I didn’t have to.

I would also like it in a matte option. With a touch screen. And a higher refresh rate. And pony.

2 Likes

3000x2000, I’m in the fractional scaling is bad camp

1 Like

A built in USB-C (charging) port. As this is a requirement for everyone for charging, I’d rather not give up one of my 4 slots for this. Really you only have 3 expansion slots - as 1 MUST currently be used for charging.

6 Likes

Or use a dock and get charging and everything else

2 Likes

that’s my plan. I hope docks work well with Linux on the Framework

1 Like

Ship batch 5 :innocent:

More seriously: A built-in Ethernet port would be nice. I rarely need one but when I need one I really need it. And it’s annoying to carry a USB Ethernet adapter around. Also consider an SD slot or expansion card.

1 Like

Most of that stuff isn’t anything that matters for my use case for a laptop, though I’m sure it does for others. Higher resolution, higher refresh rate, larger screen, larger trackpad, really don’t matter to me. I don’t have my Framework yet (soon!), but if the trackpad is anything less than excellent, I’d rather have a trackpoint, especially if it included the left and right buttons above the trackpad as well (and a center button would be great too). If the trackpad is excellent, the trackpoint isn’t a top priority for me, but it would still be nice. Along with the trackpoint, a hardware button to enable/disable the trackpad would be fantastic, to eliminate any accidental touching/palming while typing. In fact, I’d love to have a trackpad enable/disable button regardless. When I’m typing, let me quickly toggle that thing off/on.

Assuming the trackpad is good, I’d like longer battery life. Preferably from better efficiency, which would also mean cooler operation. But I’d also be okay with a slightly thicker body for a larger battery. Along with better battery life, the option to limit charge level to 80% would be awesome. I’m anal about that kind of thing and I’d love to be able to limit charge level to 80% and still get 6-8+ hours of battery life.

1 Like

I Would Like To See Detachable Keyboard And Trackpad On Framework Laptop.

2 Likes

I would love a trackpoint, but I also think they should really re-design the cooling a little. I’m one of those people that use my laptop in bed, and whether the laptop is on my chest / stomach, or on the bed, the bottom intake gets completely blocked off, causing the whole thing to reach burning temperatures.

I don’t expect perfect thermals when I’m ‘using it wrong’ but having any side intake at all, even if it was only a single slit, could really provide a lot of relief (assuming said slit could feed the heatsink)

4 Likes

Framework is currently developing this and the Ethernet card

1 Like

I wish I knew how to reply to a comment in this forum, but obviously I don’t have that capability :frowning:

This reply would be to the post where someone suggested a dock instead of a dedicated USB C port on the chassis of the laptop. My thoughts on that comment are:

With the current config, I need to carry a simple charger and a usb expansion card for when I travel - using a dock adds one more item to carry around when I travel. Putting a USB C port directly on the chassis instead reduces the number of pieces of gear I carry when travelling!

1 Like

Honestly I do agree with you, I think a port for charging should always be included-everyone needs one

I can see why that’s not the case tho-perhaps someone needs all 4 ports in non-USB C modes temporarily

I also think it’s important to play devils advocate sometimes

Oh, to reply would be to just type @name to notify me directly

1 Like

I have edited the poll to reflect popular choices.

I get what you’re doing, but I’m not sure the pill results will be as useful now since most people won’t revisit and vote again. My guess is now we’ll see new options overrepresented and old preferences underrepresented.

1 Like

I found the native 2256x1504 a bit too small too. So I set up my .xsession to do

xrandr --newmode 1920x1280  206.25  1920 2056 2256 2592  1280 1283 1293 1327 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 1920x1280
xrandr --output eDP-1 --primary --mode 1920x1280 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal

Seems to work fine, I haven’t noticed any problems.

2 Likes

My change would be to offer a redesigned input cover. Bring back home and end keys, and take some inspiration from Thinkpads to have larger arrows with keys for page up and page down (mockup). And add physical buttons to the trackpad. Above or below (or even to the side maybe?) doesn’t matter to me, but it definitely needs to include a middle button. And while I’m at it, give me a led on the mute/F1 key to indicate muted status.

Personally I don’t care about a trackpoint, but throw that in too if it gets enough people wanting to buy it that the redesigned cover is economically feasible.

2 Likes

Just note with that setup you’re just using hardware fractional scaling instead of software scaling, since you’re using a resolution that isn’t a multiple of the native display resolution and the display hardware has to upscale accordingly.

In the end you still end up with similar issues of blurriness and other visual artifacts.

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed blurriness, so it doesn’t seem to be particularly significant. On the plus side, doing it this way avoids the incompatibilities in various toolkits and other software I more often see people complaining about when they complain about “fractional scaling issues” in Linux.

1 Like