If you could make only 1 change to the Framework Laptop, what would it be?

A better display, something like what’s in the galaxy book 3 pro (not 360). I’d be OK with the bit larger bezel too, as the above mentioned panel is 16:10, Would probably make room for the interface board to make it compatible w/ the FW DP connector. Would probably also need a different design of the CNC’d housing to fit perfectly

A wider module for the expansion modules. When the original design was done i am very surprised that fitting an SD connector wasn’t considered, so now they are scrabbling around to fit one in. Having the Type C connector on the inside offset would have been nice too, after all the cards can only go in one way up, and having the connector central can make PCB layout awkward when things get cramped.

It’s not that it wasn’t considered, it just that it took more development time than expected for their engineering team when they first started out. Between delaying launching the laptop to develop a SD card and saving it for later, they made the right call. With a bigger team, they can now afford to put resources into it

Wider expansion modules may have been possible but then you start taking up more space. This forces you to either reducing space for other components or make the laptop larger, both of which are not attractive.

1 Like

I’m not saying they shouldn’t have delayed the SD card module until now, what I’m saying is that when the size of the expansion module was decided they were not looking at what might go in it. From what I have seen from the community project to adapt a 3rd party card to fit in the module it would have needed less than 5mm extra width to make life a lot easier. Considering the width of the divider between modules I suspect about 1.5mm, possibly 2mm, could be gained there, requiring about 4mm extra on the outside of the two modules on an FW13.

As to development of as SD card module, against the existing micro SD card module, the electronics is essentially the same, the only difference is the micro SD card doesn’t have the write lock switch that full size SD cards have, so it is a case of fitting the same electronics around a larger connector.

What information do you have that making a larger expansion module wasn’t considered and discarded?

1 Like

I don’t, but is is such a near miss I do wonder if fitting an SD sized connector was considered. having been involved in electronics manufacturing in the past I have seen some similar ‘near miss’ situations, and asked ‘but what about …’ to get the answer, oh, we didn’t think of that.

Expansion slot that could fit either 2 standard cards or a double-sized one. It would so much expand the capabilities and simplify the design.

Rough sketch of how it could look:

4 Likes

even more ports.

I do agree that USB-A connectors beyond the 3rd (4th, 5th) have very limited use. However, having 2 USB-A and USB-C without expansion cards means:
you will always have 2 USB-A and USB-C, regardless of what you plug in. This allows for cool/interesting combos, such as:
sd/storage + 2x display/ethernet + headphone
USB-A + sd + headphone + display

My Thinkpad have:
2 USB 3.0 + 1 USB 2.0 standby power
DisplayPort + VGA + headphone
ethernet + power + Expresscard
And that is without the dock. With the dock (which can be powered by the laptop battery btw), I get 4 more USB-A, and a full-on optical.

Keyboard modules just deep enough to accommodate discrete low profile switches like the Cherry ULP. This would open the door for hand-built keyboard modules with a negligible increase in overall depth. Not to mention superior typing ergonomics.

1 Like

My change would be to move away from the thin and light, and go more in the robust and thinkpad like way of the 90s.

I just think this would be a good idea because of the longevity that such a durable design would have. I have a MNT Reform laptop here that is built like a tank, and I really have no doubt that it will last as long as I want it to.

I can say the same about the Framework laptops I have as well just without as much confidence because I am worried about dinging it up or bending it. The heavier top cover really helped and I believe that was an awesome decision!

That being said, I love my Framework laptops, and am very grateful for all the effort Framework continues to put into them and future products.

4 Likes

I … hm.
After daily drove both a Len Thi Dell Inspiron 3511 (15 inch) and 12 inch Thinkpad X230T, I can safely say that I understand both’s appeals.
Both weigh (seemingly) similar amounts and get similar amounts of battery life, storage, features (barring touchscreen) and performance outside of video games.

The Dell has a bigger, higher-res screen that is more effective when using multiple applications side by side. It also have a numpad, although given that I don’t CAD that much recently, isn’t a big benefit. While the Thinkpad is smaller, but workable, and marginally more portable, but the touchscreen can be infinitely better in certain situations.

I think the Framework 16 is not to be underestimated. It’s got a metal tub design not unlike older Thinkpads (which make the hinge extremely durable), a “inverted” layout not unlike older Thinkpads (for fast keyboard and internal access), and on top of that modular IO and expansion bay not unlike what an old Thinkpad carries.

On the Framework 14, however, I can see myself desiring a little bit of something more. From either simply “more SSD slots” to “more expansion bay”.

I guess what I am trying to say is that “if you want the increased ports/expansion, then chances are that you wouldn’t mind a bigger device anyway”.

Although I must say that, even for massively oversized tablet that is the X230T (that being the sticking-out battery and the 1.3 inch thickness), it’s no more difficult, if not easier to pack, than the Dell 3511.

I don’t think, however, that the 2.5 inch thick “X230T Ultra Extreme Pro” featuring the laptop-powered Ultrabase 3 with a full-on optical is the right way to go. It doesn’t even give you another ethernet controller, something you can do with Framework.

(looking up expresscard ethernet controller on ebay)
They are not terribly expensive, but they all come with a massive oversized"wart" hanging off of it. Not akin to the Framework one, although Framework’s bump is much smaller.

You can, however, definitely notice a change in my setup. When I was using the Dell, the machine alone is centerpiece – mouse and writing tablet to the left and sometimes to the right of it. On the tablet, it’s 60% of the picture – I have a dock, a display, a mouse, so on. Because the 15 inch don’t really need a display, or a mouse. It’s usually only the printer. Or keyboard, but my new desk doesn’t have a keyboard tray.

1 Like

I don’t think that we need to go to this extreme to make serious gains. Taking the keyboard an an example; one based on Cherry ULP would not increase the height of the unit by much at all, but would have the benefit of allowing unorthodox keyboards the be handmade. It would also be more sustainable as one could repair your module by de-soldering and replacing failed switches rather than the whole thing. A more “Framework” solution all round.

I voted for 2nd NVMe m.2 slot, but what I really want is ECC SO-UDIMM support. Better keyboard would be nice, also. It’s really sad that FWLT13 doesn’t have Inverted-T arrow keys.

3 Likes

Perhaps a fixed USB-C port could be squeezed in near the audio jack. You pretty much always need one USB-C to charge the laptop, so it wouldn’t really violate the notion of user choice. It’s not possible to put another expansion card there because the thickness of the case starts to taper at that point. Put the jack on the audio board, or redesign the audio board so a small USB-C port board could squeeze in, so that it’s user-repairable. It would require a change to the case design for the additional hole and for mounting points if a separate board is used, and it’s likely that it would only work with future mainboards.

That layout of the arrow keys and page up/down on the ThinkPad keyboard is nice. But incorporating that in the Framework would require a change to the physical size of the battery, because the keys dropping down farther would interfere with the current one.

1 Like

I would suggest that a USB-C port on the processor board, with the innards of the USB-C expansion port inside the main case to bring the connection to the outside world. Then any long term damage or wear to the outside world connector just involved replacing the cable that goes to the internal connector - much less expensive (worst case is the £9 for a USB-C module, but I would expect just the cable to be less than half that). It is also more along the lines of the repair ethics of Framework, while minimising e-waste.

I would also love to see a 3000x2000 display. Same matte finish as the current display and maybe add better color accuracy. So a real premium display option would be nice.

2 Likes

I would love to have better cooling without more noise while maintaining the same size.

Disclaimer: this is just a wish, without thinking about if it’s even possible

1 Like

I love my Framework 13 the way it is but an improvement 2mm-3mm extra thickness and swappable mechanical keys, and dedicated buttons across the top of the trackpad. This slight extra thickness might also allow for a larger battery.

1 Like

Well, I understand what you say, if we really want to wait for buying Expansion Cards, you can still charge the laptop, because as you know it is a USB C in the end.

I think it wouldn’t be good removing Expansion Card ports, but I understand the critic, I think, what should solve that would be, making a official dual USB-C and USB-A expansion cards, and ship at least one USB-C Expansion Card in the price of even DIY orders

Honestly? I’d reverse the fans. I’d rather have it intake through the back and exhaust out the bottom than have it intake through the bottom and exhaust out the top.
Most places where I actually use my laptop I have it on a surface where the intake can be partially blocked (bed, carpet, couch arm, etc) and as a result it can get pretty toasty if I don’t bring along a laptop rest.