If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

As soon as they have an AMD cpu, I’ll pull the trigger. 4c 8t just won’t cut it for my workloads. I would also spend additional money for a dGPU if that became available.

1 Like

I’m very excited about the prospect of buying a framework. All I’m really waiting for is UK availability (assuming fair and competitive pricing). I’d love a higher core count AMD option, but I’m willing to wait and upgrade later

3 Likes

3 months ago, as reasons why I was still waiting to order, I wrote:

I also realized that despite not having a CFe expansion slot option yet, the 1TB expansion slot can replace my T5 drive. So I’ll still need a dongle, but I’ll be down a dangler.

I’m waiting on batch 5 now. i5, 32 gigs. Bringing my own SSD.

3 Likes

I’d really love to upgrade to a framework now, but a few things are holding me back:

1. A compatible/officially supported USB-C dock/hub.
    I see there’s a thread on USB-C docks, but I don’t want to get one and experiment with different docks. My current laptop is on a dock most of the time with several peripherals hooked up to it, so I’d at least want a solution that could replace it.

2. Trackpoint/Pointing stick
    I’ve pretty attached to it at this point to where my desktop and laptop keyboard both have one.
    I don’t know, maybe I could live without it on the laptop itself since I have my current laptop on the dock most of the time. Heck, I still have to use mice at work and don’t complain.

3. Hesitancy to upgrade after buying an upgrade last year.
    I bought a used T470 and a dock last year hoping that would be enough for the next couple years. I’m not used to buying a major item and then switching to another one quickly.

1 Like

My reason is strictly screen size and unconfirmed thunderbolt support for eGPU docks. I know technically thunderbolt works, but an official statement would be nice. I want a nice, big 17" screen with a higher pixel density and at least 1440p. It would be nice to also get a high core processor with a lot of RAM

I’m looking to get away from my tower PC and daily drive a capable laptop with docking support for when I’m home and ready to play.

1 Like

@strobe_grill Interesting points!

1. I’ve seen a lot of success in using off-the-shelf docks, especially those manufactured by Lenovo and Dell. I’m personally using a Lenovo Thinkpad dock and besides a small issue with the drivers on the linux distro I chose (Lenovo’s support of Fedora is still in beta, so I had to opt into the beta to get the drivers), it has worked flawlessly. I would look at the supported docks list and find one from there that works. We’ve done the experimentation for you. And since you already have a dock, as long as it’s a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock, it should just work.

2. I don’t think adding the pointing stick thing would be too difficult to implement - the keyboard is already designed to be swappable. Problem is I think you may have trouble finding others that also want the stick. I still see them occasionally, but everyone I talk to prefers using a mouse over either a trackpad or a stick, though your mileage may vary.

3. If you just bought a laptop, definitely save your money. No sense replacing something so soon as it just contributes to e-waste.

@Feynt_Mistral My understanding as far as Framework’s support of Thunderbolt goes is that the laptops are Thunderbolt-compliant but not Thunderbolt-certified. That is, the hardware specs meet or surpass the requirements set out by Thunderbolt and Framework has submitted the laptop for certification, however that they are still waiting on a response, last I heard. I too am waiting on the certification to come through as I think it’d be great for the long-term success of the laptop.

There are a few threads with a request for a 15" and 17" screen with some designs for the layout that’s been getting a lot of traction lately. These models would also allow for a second cooling fan that would allow better CPU/GPUs, and there does seem to be some initial interest from the company.

2 Likes

a combination of possibly waiting for amd models (i thing i would go with the i5 anyways for the xe graphics, but you never know), waiting for some new io (dual usb c on 1 card + ethernet) and just not having the money. but at this point im planning on ordering as soon as i get the money

1 Like

So I am brand new on this community. I’ve been trying for the last 20 days to buy a framework laptop. I have tried countless times, at different times of day, on different browsers, on different devices, on different internet connections, and after clearing browser data - Framework’s order system is seriously broken and I am really disappointed. At first I couldn’t finish the laptop configurator, since then, I have gotten further along but it’s immaterial because my order is still not placed. I contacted support and their response was to wait a day without any other explanation - that didn’t solve anything. Maintaining a website and a checkout system is basic stuff for a modern technology company. While I have seen favorable deep dives that make me want to purchase framework, this is just unacceptable. I am right at the edge of giving up all together on framework I am so irritated by this. I have troubleshooted to the extent that I can, ruling out anything on my end, either my framework account is somehow bugged or the system is. I need an explanation as to what the problem is and when it will be actually fixed, because it has become a waste of my time to try over and over to the same result. I just sent a followup to support with basically the same language I use here, I hope for a favorable response. I never want to see the frame.work error page again.

2 Likes

@Andrew_Wild I had a sort of similar problem when trying to order parts from the Marketplace. I created a new account with a different email address just for placing the order and then it worked without a problem.

For me it’s mainly these things, ordered from most dealbreaking to least dealbreaking:

1. No shipments yet to Germany :frowning:
  2. Lack of German keyboard layout but it looks like that comes pretty soon
  3. The price; I get why it’s rather high but it’s still a bit much for me
  4. No touchscreen with stylus and 360° hinge; I’d love to be able to use the Framework laptop as a 2-in-1
  5. My current laptop is still working
    (6. AMD CPU would be cool but I’d be fine with an Intel one aswell)

But other than that this laptop looks amazing and I definitely want to support it!

1- Finances mean I need to wait a year.
2- I need the functionality of a 2-in-1. If a version with a 360° hinge and touchscreen existed, I would be sold and finally ditch my slow 2015 Surface.

1 Like

Mostly availability in Europe, but German layout is not a problem for me. In fact, i need something similar to US/Intl. layout anyway.

The main reason I haven’t purchase a Framework Laptop yet is because I wanna purchase a Steam Deck (aka. RDNA2 APU) first.

Beside I already have an old laptop as a terminal machine so I don’t have to upgrade my gear right now. And I want to wait for 12th gen Intel CPU or RDNA2 APU come out. I still remember the pain of purchase an i7-7500U laptop three weeks before 8th gen CPU released.

13 inch is too small for high school
I need at least a 15 inch

1 Like

The screen looks too bouncy. Either that hinge isn’t tight enough or the frame isn’t rigid enough. Either way that would drive me crazy. Waiting for them to fix this and then I will buy.

Planning to buy it once I’m back in the US-- currently living overseas but will be moving to the US this summer and will be in the market for a new laptop. This is definitely the most promising one I’ve seen; I’m an avid Linux and FOSS advocate and have been having a really rough time using either on the Surface Laptop (1st gen) I currently have.

Besides that, the Surface Laptop is just about the least repairable device created, and I would very much like to see the other extreme.

1 Like

In early 2020, I replaced a 7 year old Macbook Air with a new one. If the Framework had been around at the time, that would have been my pick, but now I have a reasonably new laptop that doesn’t need replacing yet. Granted, resale prices on those last Intel Macbook Airs seem to hold up, so I have thought about going for the swap anyway. Can’t decide how philosophically problematic it is to replace a perfectly good laptop specifically with one made to last a long time and not be replaced…

2 Likes

Editing this post, as I did go ahead and place an order on 08 NOV 2021.

And my wishlist for improvements is now in the Feature Request Megathread.

2 Likes

Watch this: ZEN 4D & ZEN 5 Leak: AMD makes big.LITTLE Cost-Effective - YouTube

I can’t wait to see Framework with AMD chipsets… :kissing_heart:

1 Like

In descending order of relevance:

1. My current laptop is still functional
  2. Money :pensive:
  3. my ideal configuration would be screen only/ tablet with a artist quality digitizer touch screen. It’s great that I can put my laptop into an new chassis, but I want to avoid spending more money and wasting a perfectly good laptop shell.
1 Like