If you haven't ordered yet, what's holding you back?

I’m really looking for a model with a 17" screen. I don’t need big performance, decent performance on a large screen would be a boon. Same thickness as current model would be fine.

3 Likes

Came here to say this. I think I can get by integrated graphics, but once you’ve worked touchscreen into you workflow, you’re not going to buy a machine without it again.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat with a lot of people with mine:

• Want the bigger screen size (14 or 15")
  • Want the dedicated GPU for gaming
  • I live in Australia (I have seen the ShopMate comments and will probably use it for other deals I see)
  • Coming off a ThinkPad I’m use to a LOT of ports (dongles are starting to creep into my life though)
2 Likes

Waiting for a gaming oriented version.

1 Like

I dont recommend Auspost, try, ShopandShip. They refused a laptop from me recently and Had to pay a $50 redirection fee.

2 Likes

Just FYI, but eGPUs are working on the Framework Laptop and working quite well thanks to its Thunderbolt support.

1 Like

My current work laptop has a dedicated GPU so it works fine, however it is an issue for colleagues without GPU. I am talking about 10th gen i7s and i9s. Those laptops behaved worst then 6-7 year models with GPUs. Also we are using Sophos which is not exactly the most performant antivirus solution.

The keybord layout, and thats its not sold in Erupe of cause, also dont need a change in laptop current works alright, when it breaks wihout warrenty i will defo go for a framwork

1. MB only with 4 core CPUs (I believe I need something like ryzen 5700u or match)
  2. 4 expansion cards sounds like too few (however, it might be possible to make a multiport expansion cards, like 2 usb-A card, and it wil partially fix an issue)
  3. No port for external mic (may be not an issue at all)
  4. No high-capacity battery (55Wh is good, but 100 is better :slight_smile: )
  5. No RJ-45 :frowning:
  6. No option for matt screen
1 Like

I need:

1. A 15" screen
  2. AMD processor and/or dedicated gpu.
  3. Numpad
  4. Touchscreen
  5. 2.5" bay.
  6. Network jack
4 Likes

It needs to be a 2 in 1 Laptop for me.

So a 360° hinge with Pen/Digitizer and touchscreen support. Until that happens, I’ll have to stick with lenovo.
I really like the project though!

3 Likes

Im old, I need 15" screen and I want all AMD Ryzen APU. I don’t want to deal with issues on NVIDIA, and I don’t know much about Intel GPU performance. So I want an AMD solution.

4 Likes

The main thing holding me back is the screen size.

If it had stylus support, I’d be totally on board for the 13", but with no stylus, I prefer 15" anymore. If there was a stylus option on current size, or 15" screen, I’d have already pulled the trigger.

I am kinda in the market for a new machine for myself. My desktop is dead, my main linux laptop is kinda dead (it works, but is very glitchy, bad cursor jitter, and I pulled it out of commission when the battery started swelling), leaving an 8 year old macbook pro as my only daily driver for personal stuff. I am mulling my options. Do I want to get a cheaper system I can game on, and wait for a framework that matches my needs, or do I get the current offering and just deal with the smaller screen.

2 Likes
  1. no corboot version; 2. no removable bios chip, soldered on the motherboard.
1 Like

For me the main dealbreaker is lack of 360 (2-in-1) option and the (current) lack of full size SD card reader.

Being able to prop my current laptop up next to a monitor in “tent” orientation and use it with a keyboard and mouse without the laptop keyboard getting in the way is really useful, and the occasional need for hand-held use is also a big factor.

As someone who does filming on a digital camera a full-size SD card is a must. Doesn’t need to fully fit the SD card internally, just something so I can transfer files off cards.

While not a total deal breaker, the limited number ports are a bit of a concern. My loadout would be 1x USB-C, 1x-USB A, SD card and HDMI. My current Acer SPIN 5 has 1x USB-C, 3x USB-A, SD card and HDMI. Those extra USB ports are useful to have. If as well as the 4 expansion bays there were 1 or 2 permanent USB-C ports that would leave more expansion bays free for other ports.

I’m personally waiting for 2in1 and shipping to EU.

2 Likes

Good luck on your quest finding a non-existent mainboard, let alone a laptop.

6 Likes

Asked-for section
What kept me from ordering for about six months was the prospect of buying a Zephyrus G15, which would given me double the performance with its Ryzen 9 and would’ve blown away the integrated graphics in the Framework. Also, a 144Hz display sounded great.

That was one prospect, but a couple of other ones was a Legion 5 with an all AMD lineup (CPU and GPU). I actually ordered it twice, but the chip shortage or Lenovo’s own problems lead to the cancellation of those orders. So I’m here, contemplating a Framework, partly because of luck. The other prospect was the new M1X Macbooks. I liked their power efficiency, battery life, integrated graphics, and the possibility of Asahi Linux.

Finally, the prospect of the whole Framework thing simply not working out was a deterrent.

Non asked-for update (I guess)
I ordered the Framework because I figured putting my money where my mouth is, in this case, is totally worth it. I love the computer. I love its value. I love the project. I want this to work. I want a repairable computer. I want a Marketplace of parts. I want to upgrade my motherboard in a few years. I want an AMD or an otherwise efficient and performant CPU. I want to easily install Linux. I want this company to exist and people to know it’s much better than scraping glue out of defective Macbooks or whatever.

Oh, and if I can eventually pay decent prices for an eGPU, then it’s a no-brainer for me to get this computer. But even though I used to play non-demanding video games in a 2013 Macbook Pro, it’s probably best for me to not get into gaming; I see my friends who are intensely hooked on competitive games (Valorant, LOL, Dota, CS Go, Rocket League), and yeah… I’d like to live my life differently! So maybe not getting the Zephyrus was a dodged bullet? Anyway, FLOSS, Right to Repair, and nice indie games are the way to go for me!

I see this as a bet, for which in the worst case scenario, Framework the company disappears and I end up with an easily-repairable computer.

6 Likes

The lack of GPU. I am about to buy a new laptop so that I can game when travelling for work. If framework had an option with a GPU, then I would absolutely go with them. I thought about going with an eGPU but don’t want to deal with not being able to use it on flights and the space it would take up in my luggage.

1 Like

What’s holding me back is (1) money, and (2) not having a gaming-focused laptop (yet), so I’ll have to get a Steam Deck console first. But if a gaming laptop were made according to the specifications mentioned in this thread, I would take it instead of a Steam Deck console, or at least before taking a Steam Deck console. I’m 1-3 years away from the next laptop I will buy, in my opinion.

Edit: Another issue is lack of warranty support in Eastern Europe as of right now.

1 Like