[IN TICKET] Piece of mainboard partially melted

Thanks. I’ll take it to a new post, someone from FW should see it there.

Does Framework replace the out-of-warranty mainboards that had the overheating/plastic-melting ZB08P03 chips? These MOSFETs were on mainbards of the batches 5 and 6, iirc. Some reports mention or suggest a high CPU load while charging the battery- If that is not the regular use of the working mainboards and they carry the same fault, the defect may manifest much later after a period of such high-load situations.

And to satisfy our curiosity: has the root cause ever been found?

Wouldn’t a direct ask of Framework via support@frame.work be more appropriate rather than a public forum query ??

Best case: it was a batch of fake chips (something lower spec relabelled).
Worst case: :frowning:

Why a new topic? Framework have seen this and answered . . . to the degree they could

While Framework staff does sometimes answer questions here, this is a primarily a community forum. And Framework has said that this forum is not a channel for obtaining official support from them / direct questions to Framework. So I would suggest contacting support if you want a response from Framework staff.

You can of course link them to this thread & also post the response you get here if you wish.

A guess, or have you been initiated into the secret and do know?

FW did no tell us of a result of their investigation here, in the most likely place and I could not find it in other threads. The latest info is from TheTwistgibber on Dec 28, 2022(!), who has left the company.

Now, were FW and upstream companies unable to identify the cause, or was it simply forgotten, maybe because the man who had it in mind has left FW?

The question about out of warranty replacements has not been answered. At the time of the early replacements mentioned, FW was seeking samples and asked for them. Most recently it was asked on May 8, still not answered.

Support is seemingly always under a heavy workload. I did not want to add to the pile.

Also, this thread here is mostly technical and reports of the issue. I thought it better to place a question about policy in its own thread. Could have asked about the investigation result here, though, that’s right.

a) It’s ticketed
b) TheTwistgibber knows, he’s one of ‘them’

I read above that they couldn’t find a specific cause. Sometimes that’s the best you can get. People and computers die, there is no ‘cuase’ just failing body parts.

Maybe there is no answer any anyway, just because you didn’t see an answer publicly doesn’t mean individual support reponses didn’t answer.

Whichever way if you want an answer then you are adding to their load.

Take care ~ I’m out of this topic :slight_smile:

That is correct, I used the rear right port for power when it cooked my RAM and rear left caused the more commonly seen issue shown in the thread.

1 Like

One more data point. Thanks!

1 Like