Intel Boot Guard & Coreboot

Will the framework laptop have Intel Boot Guard enabled or will it be disabled from the factory? I am an experienced Linux user and would love to have Coreboot on this laptop and am willing and able to work on it myself. However, if Intel Boot Guard is enabled this can not be done as far as I know.

4 Likes

Right now boot guard is enabled from the factory. However we are exploring the idea of shipping a version of the mainboard with boot guard disabled for those who want to run their own firmware.
Running Linux should not be a problem with our system. I applaud your desire to run as much of the software stack using OSS firmware.

7 Likes

@Gregor_Schram

Are you up for working on a “Free the Frame.Work Laptop!” initiative? What kind of skills and technical expertise can you provide?

@Kieran_Levin - any information when this kind of unlocked board will be available ?

currently this is the only thing which holds me and alot of my friends (+ alot of guys on forum as i saw) from buying.

2 Likes

Is there a way to get 13th gen Intel or 7040 AMD motherboards without boot guard?

1 Like

Framework support got back to me saying that the AMD Framework 13 doesn’t have PSB enabled.

Seriously?

I had no idea this was possible

If this is truly the case I would consider buying an amd model right now

Did they say how they did this? is there any public statement or documentation you can refer me to?

Also you mean PSP, as in platform security processor, right?

how did they do this, when, what

Here a simplified version of my emails with Framework Support.

Subject: Ordering a Laptop without Intel Boot Guard or AMD PSB enabled
Hi Framework,
How do I go about ordering an AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U laptop without PSB enabled?

Hello there,
Thank you for your patience, this case was escalated for review. Having checked internally with our Engineering team we can confirm that PSB is not enabled on the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series).
Regards,
Framework Support

3 Likes

Thanks

Ok I see a google could have answered my main question

PSB, platform secure boot, is different than PSP, platform security processor (AMD’s version of Intel ME)

Good to know either way