Introducing the Framework Laptop 16

IIRC there was even a newer CPU with the same socket available, but they didnt provide a BIOS upgrade. Wasnt it released with intel 9th gen and 10th gen would have been compatible, but it wasnt?

Apparently the 9th gen and 10th gen CPUs are on completely different sockets

I imagine a framework should have a pretty decent resale value. So maybe selling the 13" would be a good way to go. That way it will be used and there is no further E-Waste.

Oh sorry, then I remembered that wrong.

A matte screen as standard? Well well, I was told by the devoted faithful that was impossible and just flat wrong! How things change.

:rofl:

Any chance of Introducing used/refurbished market to the UK?

Will I be able to use my Laptop 13 keyboard/mainboard/etc with this? I just want a bigger screen for work.

I’d be doubtful, whole system is bigger and would be designed for a larger laptop.

I mean, do they even sell empty shells for the 13in? Let alone the 16in?

Hi! From where I see it. If in order to replace the 13 with a 16, they sell it or reuse it for another needed purpose. It would benefit the company, the seller (by reducing the amount of $ they have to add and and getting the laptop they want), the buyer (by acquiring a product at a lower price), the environment (the buyer does not have to purchase a non upgradeable/repairable laptop pushed by the price), and the community and product itself. In short, if they don´t put it o waste.
Am I being too optimistic?
(please excuse my broken english)

5 Likes

Will we have dedicated Nvidia Gpu?

3 Likes

More details will be available closer to launch. No details as of yet.

2 Likes

I just wanted to post my appreciation and excitement for the live event announcements! I’m a Frame.worker forever - yes, I’ve had a few growing pains while switching over to the idea, especially being a Linux user and all, but what ya’ll are doing is where I want to be.
I can’t wait to order a Frame.work 16 and enjoy GPU upgrades as the years tick by… I’ll be happy to use my Frame.work 13 mainboard as an external SBC and will hopefully use the Framework marketplace to sell my 13 laptop body/screen.
Thanks for all you do, I’m really excited to get on AMD and will be watching all the development on the 16 model. Great work, Frame.work!

3 Likes

Is it possible to make the pre-reservation to Spain? How is the framework technical service? can conventional ssd drives be used? Or do you have to buy a specific one for these laptops?

Good way to let a company go under!

Ya’ll are crazy, I swear. Just sell it off or give it to a family member/friend. A laptop being replaced doesn’t need to be thrown like a frizzbee into a landfill!

8 Likes

One

Then Jensen says “nah just kidding” and stops support for the modules. Thanks mr Jensen!

3 Likes

I personally can attest to being able to sell old chassis. I broke my 11th gen mainboard (my fault) and sold the remains to someone who had purchased a mainboard with the intent of using it by itself by then decided they wanted the full laptop experience. Whether there is an official mechanism to sell old parts or not, selling old bits is totally doable.

4 Likes

Excellent. See my post yesterday regarding Firefox and how they interacted with me (and note when the responses were made, my man @Loell_Framework was working LATE, you are a true MVP).

Is it NVMe? Is it m.2 2280 form factor? If the answer to both questions is yes, then by all means BYOD (Bring Your Own Drive). I did, I think most have tbh, or at least a plurality.

4 Likes

More reasons why I fully support this movement. Regardless of what laptop my little fingers are typing on, I’ll know that this mainboard will be buzzing along somewhere in my home network - and that other e-waste isn’t created. Love it!

5 Likes

Just joined to state I’d like a keyboard option with full-size arrow keys AND a numpad (though not a deal-breaker). This machine sounds amazing any way you slice it!

Wow loving this. Now we can get actual large expansions like cd drives and sata ports