Is framework a bad laptop for newbies?

Hello, I recently learned about framework and am very interested in it. That being said I don’t know a ton about computer hardware apart from the general names and functions of things, and definitely know nothing about coding apart from naming languages. I pretty much only have used apple products for the past 10+ years. But what gained my interest in framework is being able to work on the laptop, fix internals, and upgrade them. I also hope to be able to game on it since apple isn’t super game friendly. For others that help newer people or got into framework knowing little like me and stuck with it how your experience has been? Or if it will be better to get a dedicated gaming laptop?

1 Like

Framework is quite friendly for people. If you go with Windows for your operating system (or get a pre-built) you won’t have any issues. If you want to learn how to work on the internals with step-by-step guides and a place to get parts in case you mess up this is the best laptop to do so with. I’ve been repairing systems since the late 90s and have worked on systems as far back as the late 80s. For gaming, I would recommend waiting for the 16" version to open up for pre-orders. However, if you really prefer a smaller laptop the 13" with an external GPU (Razer makes popular enclosure for desktop GPUs) then that would work as well.

2 Likes

To a degree, it can be buggy. I say that as an eGPU user. It depends on OS choice and a variety of other factors.

1 Like

I am also a brand new Framework laptop user, but have built desktops since the mid 90’s. The documentation provided here is amazing. My advice is jump in, get involved, and be patient as you figure out everything.

2 Likes

The struggle that you WILL likely face, if any, would not be from the hardware…but from the user experience of the operating system. (Windows / Linux vs macOS)

The hardware experience, if you’re not picky, is generally good / decent.

Community support is great.

Framework support is awesome compare to what you see in the PC world…but it’s not Apple Store experience (for better or for worse).