Issue with power bank Power Delivery

I’m having an issue with Power Delivery (fastcharge) from a power bank connected with usb-c to usb-c cable.

When the power bank is connected via the Power Delivery port, it charges itself rather than providing power to the Framework. I tried removing the usb-c expansion card and connecting directly to the usb-c port on the mobo but the issue was the same. On rare occasions, the powerbank does supply power to the laptop when first connected, but after a couple of minutes it switches to drawing power instead.

The issue occurs whether the Framework is off, in sleep mode, or booted into Windows.

When connected from usb-a on the powerbank to usb-c on the Framework, the powerbank supplies power to the laptop. However, this is not useful while laptop is in use, as it consumes power faster than the powerbank can supply it.

There is no functionality on the powerbank to switch between charging itself or charging external devices; it’s all automatic.

When connected to a ThinkPad with the same usb-c to usb-c cable, the powerbank charges the thinkpad without issue. The PD port on the powerbank has also been tested with an iPhone (with a lightening cable) and charges the phone without issue. This is a Framework-specific problem.

The relative charge levels of the powerbank and the laptop battery appear to make no difference.

I have the 11th gen model, i5

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, or have any suggestions?

(As a postscript, the battery life of the Framework has been a big disappointment, and now I can’t even mitigate the issue by using it with a powerbank.)

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue on my MS Surface when I plug it into a powerbank! Might just be the PD chip acting up?

1 Like

I’m still waiting on Batch 3 delivery so I can’t attest to this for Framework specifically, but I have encountered several combinations of power-banks and laptops that have various PD quirks such as 0W charging, unacceptable voltage drop angering the PD modules on either side leading to a charging-notcharging loop, and even accepting 5v2a when 9v|12v|20v are negotiable.

It is possible that a custom firmware could mitigate this, however in the meantime make sure to test other cables, if you have another PD power-bank then do some experimenting with how they negotiate and who charges whom. I very much am interested in finding these sorts of quirks to iron out when Batch 3 ships, or if this really is an 11th Gen Framework specific issue.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions, folks. I picked up another (cheaper!) 20000 mAh powerbank, connected it to the Framework with USB-C to USB-C, and so far, so good: the laptop is drawing power from the bank at least fast enough to sustain the current level of charge in the battery.

Doesn’t seem like there is any definitive answer with powerbanks; I have read several reports online of people experiencing the same issue with a variety of devices. Very much a case of your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

When the laptop is powered by a power adapter, we might want the laptop to charge the powerbank ; when away from a plug, we want the powerbank to power the laptop.

The best would probably be :

1. a powerbank with separate input and ouput USB-C ports (you plug the port that fits your needs).
    or
  2. a powerbank with a USB-C port that has a switch to choose between power input or output
    or
  3. a special “one way” USB-C to USB-C cable where the power flows in only one direction. You reverse the cable to choose what powers what.

Does any of these 3 options exist ?

I would like it to be a car booster / jump starter too.