Keyboard suggestions

If anyone is interested in some weird and wonderful keyboard for the FW16 as an input module, fill out this form.
https://forms.gle/esWwFFJSnjBzKJAf8

3 Likes

Request for the Atreus duly registered.

The standalone Atreus is a one piece unit. On the Framework I think it would be even better split into two modules, so that the user can fine-tune hand separation.

4 Likes

A CharaChorder keyboard would be really cool

1 Like

Split keyboard would be a huge selling point, with or without rotation. I use a U.H.K., which has a pretty standard layout and is very comfortable for me. I really want switches along the lines of Cherry’s MX blue or clear, even if it means doubling the thickness of the laptop, but some low profile switches are a lot better than others. I don’t know what Framework is currently using for switches or other keyboard specs, like the key pitch cap dish. Frankly, not having this information makes me hesitant to order because I hate most laptop keyboards so much. The touchpad is a non-issue because I would probably want to remove it regardless of the keyboard. I don’t really need speakers or anything else on the inner surface either.

3 Likes

Katana60 layout with split design would also be interesting. It’s not as ergonomic as Atreus, but fits laptop format better.

1 Like

The question of the keyboard is a decisive criterion for me, as I wouldn’t buy a laptop equipped with a classic, anti-ergonomic keyboard with staggered lines.

Ideally, I’d like the Framework Laptop 16 to feature a split keyboard with staggered columns, like the Rev57LP, but in two separate pieces, so that everyone could arrange the FL16’s modular surface as they wished.

In the absence of such an ideal keyboard, I’d be happy with a simply ortholinear keyboard, similar to the ID75.

Finally, if FL can’t let everyone send in their own layout so that the keys on their keycaps can be custom engraved, I’d like to buy a keyboard with blank keycaps.

2 Likes

Do you have a laptop with an ergonomic keyboard? I would imagine the options are slim. And you sound like someone who would know what’s available.

A split staggered column keyboard would be a really cool sight on a Framework. A DIY build would probably be the way we’ll see it.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I know very few of them:

2 Likes

Please consider adding Page Up and Page Down keys.

3 Likes

I especially enjoy the X-bows layout.

I can’t go back to an ordinary keyboard now, even a TypeMatrix feels odd to me.

2 Likes

I would love to have a split, column staggered input module. QMK is already there in available modules, but physical layout is fixed traditional one. The layout presented by @petitevieille is nice. I suppose that due to bending of the lower row which takes space the top row would probably have to be removed.
Do you think there would be a layout that would satisfy enough people to make it reasonable to produce it? Everybody has his/her own idea of an ergonomic layout.

1 Like