Is the framework laptop 16 going to have an option for an ortholinear keyboard layout?

There have been some posts here about it. There is a twitter thing about a prototype about a year ago, but I didn’t find anything more recent and official than the twitter post.

6 Likes

Not at the moment.

Framework shows us just how accessible it would have been for them to offer a simple split ortholinear keyboard, but that they didn’t see the need to do so:
https://x.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1681840017583534080
All that’s missing is two extra columns of keys on each side, and you’d have a split 6x6-key keyboard that would have satisfied the vast majority of fans of ergonomic split keyboards, if nothing else. There would also be room for a large touchpad in the middle which, together with the two pieces of keyboard, could form a single piece occupying all the available horizontal space.
It’s sad. :pensive:

ho yes… a split [ortholinear] keyboard cool be nice !!!

1 Like

Hi. :slight_smile:

I’m creating this topic in the hope of motivating Framework to create a split, ortholinear or colomnar keyboard for the FL16. This would certainly be a buying trigger for many enthusiasts of such keyboards, as the current offering among laptops is almost non-existent.

A simple ortholinear keyboard seems to me to require little development effort for Framework. It could consist of a single part occupying all the space from one side edge to the other of the FL16, in order to overcome potential connection constraints.

To suit as many people as possible, this keyboard should have too many keys rather than too few. So, in my opinion, Framework should opt for a keyboard full of keys from one edge to the other: it would have around 18 columns of keys, according to my estimates, on 5 rows of blank keys plus a sixth row of function keys (5+1x9). It would therefore look like this mock-up presented by Framework in 2023, but with a few more columns:

The picture on Framework’s X account

To optimise the comfort of use of this keyboard, the position of the hands should be as far apart as possible. The keys on this keyboard should therefore be as close as possible to the side edges of FL16, even if it means creating an empty space in the middle of the keyboard, as in this split ortholinear keyboard project for the MNT Reform:

Ortholinear split keyboard project on the MNT forum

If, for some reason, 18 columns of keys would be excessive for Framework, they could be reduced to 16, or even 14, without, I suppose, frustrating too many potential customers. This would thus consist of 7 or 8 columns of keys for each hand (5+1x8 or 5+1x7) with an empty space in the middle of the keyboard so that the keys are positioned as close as possible to the lateral edges of the FL16, as in this picture published by Framework on X, but still in a single piece extended from one edge to the other:

The picture on Framework’s X account

To conclude, I would like to say that I’d be even more interested in a split colomnar keyboard with thumb keys, like the Choctopus44, with the two halves spaced out so that they’re positioned at the edges of the FL16, while adjusting the angle of the keys:

Choctopus44 GitHub page

But such a keyboard would certainly require a longer development time and might satisfy fewer people. That’s why I think the simple split ortholinear keyboard I’m proposing would be a better choice for Framework, at least initially.

Thank you for having taken the time to read my message. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I regret that my topic has been merged with this one. I think my message deserved a new topic, given the effort I made to detail my request so that it would be visible and useful to Framework’s workers. This merge greatly reduces its visibility. :pensive:

1 Like

I’m sorry you feel that way, but our community guidelines require that you search for existing threads on a subject before you create your own.

3 Likes

To be fair, there have been a number of suggestions for an ortholinear keyboard over the last 12 months or so, your request is not the only request for it.

4 Likes

Is it possible as of now to remap two macropads to a sensible set of characters? Maybe FW could move the numpads inwards a bit and put a spacer-sized macropad on the outside of each macropad. Then, the rest of the exposed central area could be covered with a very inexpensive cover. Think from left to right: (new mini 1-col macropad = MMP) [ mmp, macropad, space, macropad, mmp ]. are the electrical connections in the right spot to do this?

You can remap any key to virtually anything.

Not with placement of the contacts on the current macropads I’m afraid. They connect on their left side. But if Framework switched them to right side connection, it would work.

The 3 middle connections are for the trackpad and aren’t usable for upper modules (they’re i2c instead of usb). So it’s the 3 left and 2 right connection points that are available for upper modules.

You can remap any key to virtually anything.

I just wanted to double check this but it is good to know.

Not with placement of the contacts on the current macropads I’m afraid. They connect on their left side. But if Framework switched them to right side connection, it would work.

Do you think there is enough space for a thin daughter board to pass the connection from left to right and be pressure mounted or soldered? Or maybe it is possible to swap the macropad to the outside and put the special macropad mini (1 or 2 row) on the inside closer to the central cover section?

I am going to have to draw this out to keep track of the connections…

That should indeed be possible. I’ve thought about it. The question with it, though, is how reliable would it be, at least using just pressure contact / for those without a soldering iron. I suppose, worst case, a cheap soldering iron, is cheap.

And there is something even more enticing that might work, four macropads. Two on each side for a split ortholinear. If the EC cooperates with a non-standard arrangement. The EC is a factor because modules identify their size, I don’t know if the EC firmware was made to account for / not panic for connections not where they should be. Now for this one, you’d have to modify the touchpad, cutting part that I believe would physically block the macropad. Or just not install the touchpad, if you’re not a fan of them anyway.

If anyone is interested in trying an extender for this, let me know. I don’t have a FWL16 myself. I could maybe bang out a PCB design for it for someone to order from oshpark or jlcpcb.

Hmm… the cost of four macropads might not be the best as opposed to 2 macropads + 2 single or double column addons. And also the EC thing might be an issue.

I notice that the Macropads seem to have narrower keys. I doubt that finger placement would be comfortable if they were used as the basis for an ortholinear keyboard.

Some members of the Ergo-L community, an ergonomic layout for French and English, have cast doubt on my assumption that a split ortholinear keyboard would suit more people than a split colomnar keyboard, like the Choctopus44 mentioned in a previous message, or the Hillside 48 for example:

Hillside keyboards GitHub

I’d have to find a way to do a poll on this. But perhaps a split colomnar keyboard similar to the two mentioned above, with the addition of a line for function keys and perhaps other lines if there’s room, would suit more ergonomic keyboard enthusiasts. I don’t know. :thinking:

1 Like

To be honest I have not tried the macropad, an ortho, or a split keyboard myself so I do agree more info is needed to determine what the best next steps would be. Maybe look for a poll on reddit or something in order to find out what is preferred. However, if the macropad and numpad are all we have for current input modules it may be the most cost-effective to use two of them as a keyboard for now and try and work through the blockers on that. I really don’t know how difficult & costly it would be to develop a new module that fits into either an ortho or ergo keyboard niche.

Thanks for pointing out the sizing issue about the macropad. It is hard to tell on FW16 order page just how big the macropad will be. I just double-checked a video of someone using the macropad on YouTube and it does look like it would be too narrow width-wise for me anyways, which is unfortunate.

1 Like

Those are column-stagger, aka columnar stagger or just columnar. That’s the ideal / ultimate goal in my opinion. Due to human fingers being different lenghts. But ortholinear still offers increased comfort / less strain than a standard keyboard. And it seems to be easier to achieve in the near term. Since it might be doable with just macropads and a custom cable to move the contacts of one of them.

Whereas column stagger would require either modifications to create more vertical space to fit off-the-shelf key switches, or waiting until Framework can perhaps bring us individual keyswitch units (intended for soldering into custom layouts). A lot more work and / or time.

For testing it out, some testing could be done with just 1 macropad and 1 spacer. This would be moving the macropad contacts to it’s the right side rather than left, and placing a spacer next to it. This creates an arrangement that, as far as the EC knows, should not be physically possible. And tests if it throws any issue for a custom arrangement like that.

Re the cost of 4 macropads, well, custom keyboards are expensive. People spend more than that on keyboards, sometimes a lot more.

1 Like

For testing it out, some testing could be done with just 1 macropad and 1 spacer. This would be moving the macropad contacts to it’s the right side rather than left, and placing a spacer next to it. This creates an arrangement that, as far as the EC knows, should not be physically possible. And tests if it throws any issue for a custom arrangement like that.

This would be a great action item for someone to try then.

Re the cost of 4 macropads, well, custom keyboards are expensive. People spend more than that on keyboards, sometimes a lot more.

This may be applicable to the FW16. Our worst case cost is $400 + extras which is not impossible to ask. It could be a good place to start for sure and it would look awesome with the rgb. Maybe down the line something that can compete with ortho keyboards like those listed here for a lot less money could be a future goal.

Thank you for these explanations. I didn’t know all the right terms, especially in English. I’ve updated my previous messages to make them clearer. :smiling_face: