Known issues on early Framework Laptops

I ripped apart my Targus lap desk and replaced the fans with a couple Noctua. I’ve gotten the temps down to 26°C.

2 Likes

Hey, just want to thank the folks at Framework for their excellent customer service. I just received a letter and a piece of double-sided tape to fix the possible shorting touchpad flexi cable issue with the early laptops. The instructions were very easy to follow. Thanks so much!

4 Likes

I too would like to thank the Framework team for being excellent with this all, the letter with the tape to fix the issue is above and beyond what I would expect from anyone else, (plus, I finally now have framework stickers that came in said letter :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)

1 Like

I received the envelope from Framework today, along with the sticker / QR code linking to the touchpad cable fix. However, my envelope did not contain any tape. Was this an oversight?

@obfuscurity it’s pretty small so maybe it’s stuck to the envelope? But it could also have slipped out through a tear or plain just never made it into the package at the warehouse.

It’s entirely possible that it fell out at some point between me opening the envelope and throwing out the empty envelope. However, unless you happened to immediately view the repair guide upon opening the envelope, you might not know that anything but the sticker was supposed to be in there, making it that much easier to misplace.

I admit, when I first opened my envelope I didn’t see the tape hanging around on the bottom flap and my first thought was that one of the stickers was supposed to be used for the cable fix.

I got mine today, but I had already bought some of that industrial super-duper double-sided 3M tape and did my own preventative maintenance. The stickers are cool – I think I’ll put one on my new work MacBook Pro. :wink:

4 Likes

Got mine too! A pleasant surprise. Sticker’s going on my keyboard :slight_smile:

Also wanted to update that my touchpad was experiencing the first issue. Contacted support and after a little troubleshooting they sent out a replacement input cover. Issue is gone–big kudos to support for their speed and transparency!

4 Likes

That’s actually the permanent fix that is going into new production to ensure that it can’t be mis-assembled in the factory. It should be sufficient to just make sure the stickers aren’t pushed down and touching the contacts like is shown in the image though.

6 Likes

Yep, thanks! Edited.

3 Likes

@nrp - I just opened up my DIY Batch 2 unit to install my RAM, SSD, etc. Only one of the four EMI shields appears to be installed correctly; the other three look to be really folded & pressed down. When I attempted to remove & re-stick the first one, it ripped right in half along the stamp / scoring line, so it came off in 2 pieces. I suppose I have two questions:

1. Would it be preferred to just do without the damaged shield temporarily, or to try & replace it in two pieces?
  2. Assuming I go the DIY route that @RandomUser suggests with the insulating tape, is there any chance I could get a picture of what your recommended application would look like? Seeing as the tape would be a new thing for me, but something I’m willing to do, I just want to get it right - not too much tape, nor not enough tape.
2 Likes

Ah yes, the Goldilocks quantity of tape. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

just received my Batch 2 laptop configured the insides installed my OS, attempt to put in my wiFi password noticed my keyboard not working properly. opened it back up keyboard/touchpad shorted… just saw forums about this… not happy; would’ve been nice to have something on the envelop that said please open before usage. envelop literally is just a plain sealed envelop

The shielding is give us more margin to pass EMI compliance. It should function fine without it, but it should also be no problem to take your two pieces and sort of stick them down in roughly the right locations to mostly shield.

2 Likes

@nrp to @End 's point.

Maybe add a link in the ‘fixing to ship’ email to this thread?? Just a thought. I’m trolling the community daily but some people may not be. In my opinion for being only on batch 2, the list of ‘issues’ is not really that long, being identified and are fixable.

Thank you guys for being so transparent. Keep up the great work!!!

3 Likes

PCB designer here - Do you have evidence it was actually impactful on a particular test, or was it designed in as a matter of best practice?

Agreed. I use Noctua in most everything I build or work on. So quiet compared to the routine fans out there. And they come with both mounting screws and rubber pins for vibration-reducing mounting. Seriously overpackaged, though!

1 Like

Yeah, you’re going to get people claiming that “noctua is overpriced” or “x fan is just as quiet”

People don’t realize that noctua fans are super high quality. The other point is not just the volume of noise but the frequency. They supposedly build their fans to avoid certain grating frequencies and it shows. I’m slowly coming around to the idea of a full noctua conversion in my PC but it’s expensive and my dang 2080ti is noisy enough to overshadow the fan noise anyways.

I’d love for noctua to make some smaller fans for things like laptops and GPUs. Then again, they’re still having issues making high end fans that aren’t B R O W N

2 Likes

Yeah, I have been using Noctua fans for almost a decade it seems. They are so UGLY… but work SOOOo well… reminds me of something?

1 Like