Laptop lags, shuts off, doesn't start

Hi,

I’m not sure if I’m misreading the situation or not but here is my suspicion.

It appears that, seemingly at random, the laptop slows down to a crawl in Ubuntu or Windows 10 when plugged in. This happens even when I’m not using any resource-intensive applications.

Unplugging the laptop appears to resolve the issue immediately ~80% of the time.

At times, the laptop will freeze in either OS. In Ubuntu I have to do a hard restart. In Windows 10, it goes to a blue screen of death and then I do a hard restart. Nothing else works to get it out of the freeze in either OS.

Separately, the laptop also takes a long time to boot after a cold start yet it restarts very quickly.

Finally, there have been times when the laptop inexplicably shut off completely by itself or failed to respond to the power button when starting up.

I don’t know if any of these issues are related. At first I thought it was just in my head or an accident but after 3 months of ownership I’m suspecting an actual problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

For your first issue where the laptop gets very slow and is fixed by unplugging the charger, if you open your task manager and see the CPU frequency at around 400Mhz I suspect you are running bios 3.06 or below.
There was an issue we fixed with a firmware update in 3.07. So I would suggest updating your bios.

1 Like

Thank you. The first issue seems to be resolved for now with the BIOS update.

Another problem I’ve noticed that may be related to the others: the computer sometimes freezes or has an unresponsive screen after booting from sleep mode.