Laptop Overheating and Losing Connection to M.2 Drive

Man, my laptop is waiting to ship in the current batch, and this being my 99% use case I’m concerned about my order. I know other brands can work without issue in clamshell mode and eGPU without overheating.

Any official movement on this?

It would help to always say:

what processor, M.2 make & model, OS in use, sleep settings, as well as if the screen is closed.

I’m trying to track the variables and don’t always get the full info.

1 Like

@M0n0mana if you haven’t received the second email about your card being charged and getting ready to ship, you should be able to file a support ticket to modify your order. I filed a ticket yesterday morning to remove the SN850 and replace it with a SN750 instead. My order was modified within an hour.

2 Likes

@gclimer I’ve not been charged, you’re right. I’ll consider it. From reading other posts about this issue, it’s not specific to the SN850 even the super cool hynix p31 gold has this issue…

So what would a good alternative drive that is at least 2TB and is Gen 4? Or maybe Gen 4 is where the issue is? WD doesn’t seem to have any Gen 4 drives available larger than 1TB and I have not tried any other Gen 4 Drives.

From what it looks like, the problem is not the drive, the problem is the laptop overheating, causing the drive to overheat and shut itself down for protection. All drives seem to be subject to this.

If you were looking for a 2TB Gen 4, I have seen the WD SN850 in a 2TB size. There’s also the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 and 4.0 Plus, although the SN850 mostly outperforms both these.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I think! But I have yet to see any solutions other than maybe put a heatsink on the M.2 drive, but some people think there isn’t enough room.

I think I had this problem or something similar! I would get kernel panics, suuuuper hot laptop, crazy fans and disconnected nvme drive. Couldn’t tell what thing happened first that caused the other things. Framework support swapped out my drive (i had the 750) and I installed the same image and haven’t had an issue since. Didn’t update firmware either.

2 Likes

I’d like to point out that the Framework, unlike some other laptops doesn’t kneecap the CPU perf out of the box. It lets it run as fast as it goes. That means a bit of responsibility is offloaded to the user to ensure either that there’s adequate cooling environment while under load, or to limit perf themselves to compensate for inadequate ambience. Framework could kneecap perf in order to avoid overheating in more ambient environments but then my i5 wouldn’t be at the top of the chart on Geekbench. Personally I prefer the current approach. If cooling is inadequate when using the laptop closed, we could try increasing the ambient airflow by placing the unit vertically, by putting it on one of those ridiculous fan trays, in order to keep the perf. However if that doesn’t help we could always reduce the CPU perf to accommodate the thermals. Personally, I’ve done that to get good battery life. While on battery, Turbo Boost is disabled and my CPU rarely goes over 1.2GHz.

I guess depending on how many people encounter this issue, they could put a default kneecap and allow it to be disabled in the BIOS. Probably need a referendum on this. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I have finally found something that seems to have resolved my computer from its constant crashes in sleep mode that causes my m.2 to disconnect as well as all the other heat and fan issues people and I have experienced. Figured I would share it here and see if anyone else with this issue finds some success with this in windows 11.

1. Open search and type “Edit Power Plan”
  2. Choose “Change advanced power settings”
  3. Expand the “PCI Express” drop down, then the “Link State Power Management” dropdown
  4. Change both the “On Battery” and “Plugged in” settings to “Off”
  5. Save the changes.

I haven’t seen whether this is a permanant fix but seeing as I was experiencig crashes literally everytime I left my computer in sleep, after changing this setting for the first time I had it finally not crash after leaving it all night long in sleep mode. Honestly cant remember the last time that happened. Feels good lol. Hopefully that helps.

Edit: Just experinced another crash! Darn. Trying to disable hybernation in cmd with “powercfg -h off” and see if that helps.

3 Likes

@Ajaxster if you are using an SN850 SSD, could you confirm if you have updated the firmware: My system is rebooting to a “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed” message

If not, could you check if there are firmware updates available for the SSD you are using.

6 Likes

@nrp Yes I am, I undid the PCI express changes and re-enabled hibernation. Then I went ahead and grabbed the wd software and updated the firmware. Wasn’t even aware there was a tool for that. Pretty convinient.
I will update in a few days and see how it goes with the new firmware!
Thanks.

4 Likes

Its been a couple days now and I havent experienced any more crashes so hopefully this doesn’t jinx it but I think the firmware update has resolved the constant crashing. Thanks agian @nrp for pointing that out to me!

2 Likes