Laptop shuts down during sleep

I own two laptops from another company Len… and both laptops have the same issue with Windows 11. I realized that if I disconect the wifi and put the laptops on airplane mode the laptop will not shutdown during sleep. Moreover, everyone in the company is experiencing the same issue with windows 11.

Yes, windows is getting worst and worst everyday. But you can switch to a Linux kernel.

In conclusion, is not framework fault but windows.

4 Likes

I’ve opened a support ticket about this. So far, they have me updating drivers, with no luck. There are a number of other, somewhat more complicated things that they’ve recommended that I haven’t gotten to yet. I’ll update here if a solution is found.

1 Like

Same problem here.
12th gen base model running Windows 11. SleepStudy shows abnormal shutdown in the logs and all open apps closed. I’m worried about system stability since this occurs so frequently.

It looks like a complete power cut, so not so much a “crash”. Anyway, they had me update drivers which I just did. Beyond that I was sure it happened while plugged-in, unsure while on battery. So they had me remove all expansion cards and leave it on battery to see what happens next.

1 Like

It didn’t shut down overnight with all expansion cards removed and on battery. It also didn’t shut down overnight with all expansion cards removed and AC power provided directly to the internal port. Going to add back cards one by one.

3 Likes

This topic is considered duplicated with this topic:

Please refer to this for more information.
I am not sure how many people, or what percentage have this issue.
The FW Team really needs to dig into it and find out the reason. It is a very annoying issue.

@Benjamin_Woollard You are not alone.
Based on my experience with FW support, they just try to let you swap RAM, update SSD firmware, etc to fix it. I did all of the suggestions and still it cannot be fixed.

Try your best to escalate this issue to let the FW engineer be aware it is the FW laptop problem.

1 Like

I’m still good now with the USB-C cards re-inserted. A few more nights to really narrow it down, but I am so far 100% good with no-non-USC-C expansion cards overnight vs almost every night bad (unexpected power loss) with my USB-A and micro-SD also added.

@jacob_ma They asked me to remove expansion cards and that does indeed appear to be related to the root cause in my case. Did they ask you to do that / have you tried that? Does it happen with all expansion cards removed and left on battery power?

1 Like

For me, the test cycle was very long, sometimes 13 days there was no issue at all, with all expansion cards inserted. Hope you can isolate and figure out which expansion card cause the problem very soon.

This whole expansion card thing (if it’s the cause) is really starting to seem like more trouble than it’s worth…for 2 generations now.

I’m on USB-C cards only, plus external hub / docks / dongles. Might as well just call this a laptop with 4 x USB-C ports.

2 Likes

Just as an update, the expansion cards seem to be the issue for me as well. I’ve had crashes with just a USB-C or just a HDMI card inserted, no problems with the other cards (both USB-A). At least the problem seems to be known and relatively fixable (hopefully just a matter of bad cards?).

Strangely my issues are completely resolved for a full week now, but I am essentially back where I started in terms of configuration:

1. Updated drivers/software/etc as directed by support (issue not resolved, happening daily)
  2. Initial configuration didn’t have DP card installed, but support asked me to install it and update it’s firmware so I did that (but didn’t leave overnight separately to test just this)/
  3. Removed all expansion cards and left on battery (issue resolved)
  4. Kept expansion cards removed and re-added AC power directly to internal connector (still resolved)
  5. Added back USB-C cards (still resolved)
  6. Added back USB-A card (still resolved)
  7. Added back micro-SD card (still resolved)

So, I’m back where I started configuration-wise (but have updated the not installed display port expansion card firmware). Issue seems resolved. I’m not sure why removing all of the cards for some amount of time could’ve helped since there have clearly been full power cycles in the interim, but maybe there was some minor mechanical issue with how the cards were installed? They were difficult to remove this first time (easy now) but everything seems fine for more than a week now!

1 Like

I have the issue on my Framework as well as my Asus laptop, definitely seems to be a Windows 11 quirk

Not a quirk it’s a setting. Preset to shut down after a specified period, which is a user configurable time.

Setting: Sleep after 10 min
Setting: Hibernate after 45 min

So no matter how sleep is invoked it should switch to hibernate.

It’s a safety feature so as not to completely discharge the battery

What we are talking about here is not that feature.
The laptop shuts down completely (it does not hibernate), losing all unsaved files. And it happens when the battery is nowhere near empty.

5 Likes

There is a log of the events available via the Command Prompt in admin mode. It can take a few seconds to retrieve and write the data to an html file.

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg /sleepstudy
Sleep Study report saved to file path C:\Windows\System32\sleepstudy-report.html.

And that report says nothing useful in this case except stating unexpected shutdown. This issue is indistinguishable from a complete unexpected power removal.

As I wrote above, mine seems to have somehow resolved itself now. Going from once/day (each night I left my laptop) to not happening in almost 2 weeks.

The sleepstudy report will now show when it hibernates if I’m on battery power - that behavior preserves apps, and is different from the issue.

1 Like

I have not made any changes yet and my laptop still has the issue.
@lessthanjoey Which driver and software updates did you do in the beginning?

Those updates didn’t solve the issue (ie., I still had the issue after applying the updates that were recommended) but it was the intel driver support assistant (plus anything in windows update, none pending on my side).

Download the Intel Driver Support Assistant and have it update any outdated drivers? You can do so via this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

@amoun What I meant is that sometimes both of my laptops turn off and close all my apps. I know it’s a Windows 11 thing because it never happened with my ASUS laptop on Windows 10

1 Like

Windows has zero record of anything happening anywhere related to it until you turn it back on.