Laptop shuts down during sleep

I got in touch with Framework support. They told me to reseat the storage and memory, that didn’t help.
I removed all USB-C and USB-A expansion cards and finally also my storage expansion card. I still experienced shutdowns without any expansion cards installed.

Did some testing last couple of days.
Without adapter cards no issues, when on power.
With adapter cards (only special one is HDMI) on power unexpected shutdown.
yesterday I disabled hibernate using: powercfg.exe /hibernate off
this morning again an unexpected shutdown.

So the problem isn’t hibernating, but it has something to do with power, hdmi adapter connected and a sleep state.
I hope we see quickly some decent fix.

1 Like

Well unless you report this to support it won’t be looked at . . . and they have to replicate it ???

1 Like

I’ve just experienced my first unexpected shutdown in about a week. It was on charge and, checking the sleep study, happened right as I opened my laptop. Up until a couple of days ago, I only had the USB-c and USB-a modules in. I tried adding the DP back in, and while it wasn’t immediate, it is annoyingly coincidental. Otherwise, why was it behaving the last week?

1 Like

I’m circumventing the issue by never having my laptop sleep. It goes to hibernate when I close the lid. Which is not ideal, but at least I can leave stuff and come back to it the next morning. I was also still getting unexpected shutdowns with just the type C expansion cards in. Hopefully the next bios and driver release has this item in the changelog?

1 Like

I’ve had no issues after taking out the DP and the Mini SD expansion cards. I was also able to get hibernate working as it should by following the instructions from mutemule here:

Edit: Click to see the full text

1 Like

Support had me enable that turbo boost in the bios (I had it disabled to preserve some battery), then re-enable sleep. Same issue this morning though :sob:

In what I hope is my second to final update, Support is RMA’ing my main board and shipping me a replacement.

@Darrel_Hunt Thank you - the hibernate adjustments in mutemule’s thread have sorted it for me. It now wakes properly out of hibernate without all my tabs/apps crashing.

New main board is in so fingers crossed!

1 Like

I lasted posted 11 days ago. Since then, I haven’t had a single unexpected shutdown, connected to power or not. The difference is I only have USB-c and a single USB-a plugged in. Last time, within a day or two of plugging in the DP module, it broke my previous streak. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

So there’s no real progress in a final solution or workaround.
No Bios update, no driver update, no firmware for the adapters, no workaround.
What is Framework doing, you could write your findings here too, as I’m also asking by mail?

Isn’t that consistent with others. DP at 3+Watts for 12 hours could well push consumption beyond the 55Wh of a fully charged battery, or worse given any wear.

Removing the RealTek Audio Driver has solved this for me. Put the machine to sleep yesterday with battery at 79%. This morning, it’s at 69% and woke from sleep normally. With the RealTek drivers installed, the battery would be almost completely drained and machine would be shutdown.

@amoun Except this happens when it’s plugged in as well. There’s no actual battery drain when I open it up, and according to the sleep logs it only happens as I open the laptop lid. The problem isn’t a randomly dead battery, it’s an unexpected shutdown.

1 Like

They RMA’d my mainboard, which uh, has not gone particularly well for me. I really hope that the next bios resolves all of these issues.

1 Like

So, throwing my two cents in here. Been having what looks like similar issues as this thread. Laptop put in sleep mode, try to use it the next day and it would be shut down. This is with the laptop connected to power the entire time, so no battery drain issue. 3 USB-C and 1 USB-A expansion ports connected. Tried Intel driver updates listed above, no dice.

Coming to laptop today was the first time in at least a week that I’ve been able to open it and see that it hasn’t shut down. Only things I remember doing last night that were different from previous nights:

1. Tried adjusting power settings to set Turn Off Hard Disk to Never. But then I also actually ended up hitting “Restore plan defaults”, because
  2. There was a Windows cumulative update released last night (KB5020044), which I let install.

Granted, I have one night of data, but it’s at least some change in behavior. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back if this just ended up being a fluke, but hopefully the Windows update helps other people, and this is just another case of Windows being Windows.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Fingers crossed this is the case too. Best of luck :crossed_fingers:

Ha, nope. One night fluke, same issues today. I’ll keep playing around with things, but that wasn’t entirely the fix apparently.

1 Like

Ohh that’s bad. I’m getting a mainboard replacement too.
I read you get a refund too, pity your quitting with FW, but I can imagine, with what you’ve experienced.

I really hope I will be more lucky.

2 Likes