Laptop shuts down during sleep

I lasted posted 11 days ago. Since then, I haven’t had a single unexpected shutdown, connected to power or not. The difference is I only have USB-c and a single USB-a plugged in. Last time, within a day or two of plugging in the DP module, it broke my previous streak. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

So there’s no real progress in a final solution or workaround.
No Bios update, no driver update, no firmware for the adapters, no workaround.
What is Framework doing, you could write your findings here too, as I’m also asking by mail?

Isn’t that consistent with others. DP at 3+Watts for 12 hours could well push consumption beyond the 55Wh of a fully charged battery, or worse given any wear.

Removing the RealTek Audio Driver has solved this for me. Put the machine to sleep yesterday with battery at 79%. This morning, it’s at 69% and woke from sleep normally. With the RealTek drivers installed, the battery would be almost completely drained and machine would be shutdown.

@amoun Except this happens when it’s plugged in as well. There’s no actual battery drain when I open it up, and according to the sleep logs it only happens as I open the laptop lid. The problem isn’t a randomly dead battery, it’s an unexpected shutdown.

1 Like

They RMA’d my mainboard, which uh, has not gone particularly well for me. I really hope that the next bios resolves all of these issues.

1 Like

So, throwing my two cents in here. Been having what looks like similar issues as this thread. Laptop put in sleep mode, try to use it the next day and it would be shut down. This is with the laptop connected to power the entire time, so no battery drain issue. 3 USB-C and 1 USB-A expansion ports connected. Tried Intel driver updates listed above, no dice.

Coming to laptop today was the first time in at least a week that I’ve been able to open it and see that it hasn’t shut down. Only things I remember doing last night that were different from previous nights:

1. Tried adjusting power settings to set Turn Off Hard Disk to Never. But then I also actually ended up hitting “Restore plan defaults”, because
  2. There was a Windows cumulative update released last night (KB5020044), which I let install.

Granted, I have one night of data, but it’s at least some change in behavior. I’ll keep an eye on this and report back if this just ended up being a fluke, but hopefully the Windows update helps other people, and this is just another case of Windows being Windows.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Fingers crossed this is the case too. Best of luck :crossed_fingers:

Ha, nope. One night fluke, same issues today. I’ll keep playing around with things, but that wasn’t entirely the fix apparently.

1 Like

Ohh that’s bad. I’m getting a mainboard replacement too.
I read you get a refund too, pity your quitting with FW, but I can imagine, with what you’ve experienced.

I really hope I will be more lucky.

2 Likes

I really hope that when I go to get a new laptop (in five or six years, my Framework was replacing a 2017 MacBook Pro) that the platform is more mature and even more options exist. I’m absolutely willing to give them another try and want them to be successful, if nothing else to force other manufacturers to embrace right to repair and give laptop owners upgrade pathways desktop users have.

2 Likes

Perhaps you should immediately disable Windows modern standby and re-enable S3 sleep since Framework supports that. Requires a new Windows install though unfortunately.

1 Like

S0 sleep should never have invented, what a mess created by Microsoft and Intel!
If this is causing the unexpected shutdowns, I’m not sure, I tend to think not.
This is mainly causing power drains and incidental (yes also unexpected) shutdowns, not structural (what I expect). In my case the laptop is always connected to power, in house use only, and the symptoms described by Linus, are happening when switching from power to battery. But this may cover some of the experienced symptoms from others, again, what a mess created by MS en Intel. Framework does support the S3 mode, good to know.

2 Likes

Hi All - I just received my new Gen 12 Framework laptop this week, installed Windows 11 and promptly started running into this issue. I’ve opened a support case with Framework to see where the troubleshooting goes. Wish me luck!

4 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you are using Windows sleep will automatically go to hibernate when the battery goes low, i.e. switch off.

Did you read the above 91 posts :slight_smile: etc.

EDIT
Your profile says you have been reading for 7 minutes so maybe you saw soemthing relevant ??

Good luck! Hoping for the best :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ok, here might be a hacky way of getting around this issue for now.

Also, I think this has been hashed enough, but this is NOT a hibernate issue. This also shouldn’t be a power drain issue, since multiple people (myself included) have seen this issue when the laptop has been plugged in. The symptom can be found by looking in Event Viewer, and there should be an event that looks like “The previous system shutdown at on was unexpected.” Like so:

If you go back in the event viewer to the specified time and date, you’ll find some event that’s like “Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1424) reset policy scheme from {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e} to {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}”

And I’ll get getting hundreds of these events.

So, what I did was go into Task Manager, add the PID column to the tasks to figure out what process is causing that event, and manually killed the process. This pops up an event that shows that the driver’s angry, since it got killed:

Event text: “The device Intel(R) Innovation Platform Framework Processor Participant (location PCI bus 0, device 4, function 0) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.”

My emphasis in bold. If you kill the process, it’ll just automatically restart itself. BUT, if you notice the name and PCI bus ID, you can go into Device Manager, find it under “System Devices”, and manually uninstall the device/remove the driver.

I did that, and now I have a yellow-bang’d device (see below), but I haven’t had issues the past two nights.

Probably a bit heavy-handed, and not sure what the long-term implications are for performance/stability/etc, but if you’re desperate, this might work for you. Just make sure you do a system restore point/backups/all the general precautions with messing with stuff you’re unsure of. Hopefully this also provides a hint to what’s been causing us grief as well.

3 Likes

I’ve disabled Hybrid Modern Sleep (S0 Sleep), since S3 sleep is supported by the 12th Gen Framework laptop. This will increase the amount of time it takes to wake up the laptop from sleep, but at least I won’t lose all my work and open programs. I know this is not ideal, and I’m really hoping Framework comes up with a solution to this issue so we can enjoy the instant wake up from sleep.

This requires editing the registry as noted here, then reboot the laptop: High Battery Drain During Suspend (Windows edition) - #175 by Xiaoling_He

2 Likes

My understanding is that this is a fix that will need to come from Microsoft, not the PC manufacturers.

4 Likes

I was also seeing this, but figured since it was info level logging I figured this was just Windows being Windows.