Laptop thinks the lid has closed when moving it while the audio jack is in use

Hello!

I recently discovered that when I have headphones plugged into the audio jack, moving my laptop around gently will cause it to think that the lid has closed. Again, this seems to only happen when the audio jack is in use. Movements include simply picking it up or shifting it, I assume due to pressure changes around the audio jack location, which is apparently near the lid sensor?

In case it matters, I have the 2.8K display and 7640U board, and am running Arch Linux.

I didn’t see any existing reports of this behavior, so wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. (Laptop has been fantastic otherwise!)

Odd issue. How long have you had your FWL13?
Nothing magnetic nearby, right? Also look for anything that might have accidentally become slightly magnetic, this can happen to some metals (if a magnet can’t stick, it’s not a problem). A metal ring on one’s finger is a possibility as well. It here is nothing, then if you’re still within warranty, you could contact support. If not, you could try getting a new audio board kit. frame.work/products/audio-board-kit. The lid sensor is located on that board. But before getting a replacement, you could give reseating the cable a shot. If you’re still within warranty, I would suggest waiting for support to advise you, though.

1 Like

How long have you had your FWL13?

A little over a month.

Nothing magnetic nearby, right?

Great call, I think this was it. I had the laptop sitting on top of a macbook that I use for work, and I think I was misinterpreting what was going on. Moving the laptop in and out of the macbook’s proximity is what actually appears to be toggling the lid switch. The audio jack doesn’t appear to actually have anything to do with it.

It’s weird to me that placing the FW near the macbook results in a lid switch toggle, but now that I know what’s going on I’m happy. Thanks!

Yes and the magnet is very close to the jack socket, so when you removed it it may have made slightly easier effect from the MAC below