Launch in Asia, AMD varient, 2in1 varient and affordability

I know these questions are asked many times but they are in bits and pieces and I wish someone from team or community will provide a more hopeful answer about these questions.

1. When will Framework laptop launch in Asian countries like India and China? Believe me there is Huge untapped market here for framework.

2. When can we see an AMD varient with RDNA APU inside it so entry level gamers like me can have a option from such revolutionary company?

3. Is there any chance of framework launching a 2in1 360⁰ hinge laptop with touchscreen and windows hello?

4. Will framework laptop prices get decreased in future as we know most of affordable laptops are crap and there are almost none companies who really care about customers like Framework do? So I can only expect a great affordable laptop from Framework off all.

I doubt a price drop would happen, Framework is already very reasonably priced, and I’m not sure how much further the price could go down.

It’s probably on their list of countries to add? No one other then the Framework team knows about which countries are being added next though.

Definetly not soon, considering 12th gen just dropped.

Probably not very feasible considering with the current chassis it just doesn’t work that well, as the hinges cannot bend 360 degrees, Touchscreen and windows hello maybe in a future upgraded display/webcam module though?

2 Likes

Technically there’s always the route of AMD Mendocino as a sort of “budget” variant that would presumably run circles around the mobile Pentiums and Celerons even if you count the versions that use the full-fat non-Atom-based architectures (Alder Lake mobile Pentium & Celeron has a whopping one P-core + 4 E-cores while Tiger Lake Pentium Gold & Celeron was only 2 cores; in both cases the Pentium has hyperthreading though but obviously not on the E-cores).

This would also provide RDNA2 graphics, albeit with substantially reduced performance due to the reduction in compute units (only 2; I would expect graphics performance somewhere around what the Athlon 3000G’s Vega 3 could do).

For those not familiar with it, Mendocino is basically just a 4core/8thread Zen2 APU on 6nm but with only 2 iGPU compute units resulting in a really small die-size that’s basically AMD’s solution for the sub-$500 market. That being said, it’s not coming out until later this year so we don’t yet have full details on memory support (DDR4? DDR5? LPDDR-only?) or on USB support (USB4? USB 3.2-only?).

2 Likes

@Shiroudan I humbly disagree about laptop being reasonably priced. Yes it’s priced well only when u consider the repairable aspect seriously but I don’t think majority of future general buyers will buy this laptop just for repairability and considering that, this laptop seems costly because there are plenty of good alternatives out there. I love this laptop but I want a 2in1 with 680M like gpu performance. I know it’s my own choice and I should not ask framework to build laptop just for specific customers like me but having an option will be a peace of cake. I can’t even imaging any company beating Framework if they launch a decently priced laptop with playable gaming performance and with optional form-factors like touchscreen, 360° hinge. Yes designing a 2in1 hinge will be hard but I think it’s possible considering how they build this laptop fully repairable with keeping slim and lite form factor.

1 Like

It’s reasonably priced compare to other laptops in its market segment (thin&light). Think Dell XPS or Lenovo Thinkpad. Nobody said these laptops were inexpensive, just that they are reasonably priced.

As for an AMD option? Give up on that. Not that Framework wouldn’t want to do it, they just can’t get any from AMD. AMD literally cannot produce enough CPU’s to sell to all its clients and what fab space they have goes to server CPU’s first because they are the most profitable. Look on Newegg or Amazon and tell me how many Ryzen 6000 series laptops you can find and then compare that to Intel 12th gen.

1 Like

No I don’t think it’s reasonably priced if we ignore the repairability point. As I said considering it as normal thin and lite laptop it’s more expensive. U compared it to dell xps and ThinkPad. They are one of the best laptops in the segment and so they are expensive obviously. But if u compare it with normal thin and lite laptops like acer laptops then it seems expensive because u r not even getting a GPU in it. I want AMD is just because it gives u better GPU performance considering latest version. You r right there are very few 6000 series laptops but I think more options will be entering the market soon. Framework’s repairable design is great but general buyers in future won’t consider that as main feature before buying because as Framework reaches mass audience then general aspects like performance and features will be considered for buying. I think some brands will try to compete framework on repairability also when Framework is available globally. I guess I am not patient enough but I can’t wait to see Framework in my country India. There is no roadmap of how they will grow availability in other parts of the world like Asia.

U r right. That is why I want an AMD framework. Not because its easy for them but because for people like me AMD laptops are like Golden in pile of coal. I just ignored all AMD 6000 laptops that are available in my country. Because they have high end GPU and stuff in them. I am just waiting for an AMD varient without a GPU in India. But there is none.