LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card

Would this work in the USA with a T-Mobile Sim Card?
Is yes, would I still be able to order?

Looking to order one of these if they are still available for sale.

pretty sure the chip being used is mentioned above somewhere, should work with t-mobile in the us. John Cook should be letting orders through, though shipping might be delayed a couple months because of his other projects.

It will work, but not optimally.

Wireless signals are divided into bands. This supports bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 25, and 26.

T-Mobile’s network uses bands 2, 4, and 66 as their main medium range high performance bands and uses bands 12 and 71 as their main long range high building penetration bands. So this lacks bands 66 and 71. T-Mobile also has a tiny amount of band 5 (only in Myrtle Beach, SC) and 13 (only in Puerto Rico).

Band 66 and 4 have the same coverage so lacking 66 will just hurt performance, however lacking band 71 will meaningfully effect coverage, especially in areas where T-Mobile doesn’t have band 12 licenses.

Here is an image showing only T-Mobile’s band 12 and 71 coverage. The green areas have band 71 but not band 12, the pink areas have band 12 but not band 71, and the purple areas have both bands 12 and 71. In the green areas this will be unable to pick up any long range or high building penetration signals, effectively crippling coverage.

Edit: T-Mobile does also have band 25 and band 26 licenses, however to the extent that they use band 25 it is used for 5G (and in the future they’re hoping to use it for satellite based 5G service through their partnership with SpaceX) and band 26 is somewhat in limbo. In order to agree to let T-Mobile buy Sprint (the previous 4th largest carrier) the Gov’t required T-Mobile to attempt to sell it at $3.6 billion with Dish getting first pick (the Gov’t is trying to help Dish become the new 4th largest carrier), however Dish’s deadline to buy it recently passed and they couldn’t afford it. T-Mobile’s other bands are 5G exclusive (and therefore irrelevant to discussion of LTE cards).

3 Likes

lart2150’s maps are a great resource.
If anyone needs to zoom in on an area, you can find the map here coverage.lart2150.com/vector

1 Like

5g laptop when?

You want a laptop that weighs only 5 grams? :question:

2 Likes

Lmao. Not that. I want a laptop that I can upgrade and put a sim card into so that I can get cellular data to be able to use it anywhere using the 5G network

With how small computer & phone components are, couldn’t that be an expansion card? Maybe with some threaded antennas to go on the end? I think the Framework 13 & Framework 16 ports are Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4, so they’re pretty much compatible with anything.

it already is josh cook’s selling one

1 Like

Yeah, pays to word queries so the meaning can’t be misinterpreted.

Is he already? I can find some threads talking about making one, but nothing concrete or one being made. I’m not entirely sure how to navigate towards finding the product you describe, but am looking for it. If you wouldn’t mind pointing me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it.

This thread is the place. There’s an e-shop link ^^^ and a link to the cellular technology provider’s website so you can assess which bands will be accessible in your jurisdiction ^^^^.

Just search back for Josh_Cook.

Dino

Josh Cook only makes a LTE card, which is roughly the same as 4G. There is no 5G expansion card anywhere from what I know. It probably also would be super expensive, the 4G card alone costs 160 AUD ($105 USD) plus potential taxes.

I would 100% buy this!

link is somewhere up there

I saw this and knew already that the Gadsden flag is an official American Revolutionary war flag.
Some research ( I just did a search) dates it at 1775.

In December 1775, Commander of the Navy, Esek Hopkins, attached a flag plastered with the snake and now-famous slogan to the USS Alfred,

So it is a flag first used Nov 1775 by the American Navy.

And…
The term anarcho-capitalism was coined by Murray Rothbard, a leading figure in the American libertarian movement from the 1950s until his death in 1995.

Thus, there is NO relational tie between a 1775 Navy ship and flag, and Murray Rothbard (Libertarian) in the 1950s and whatever he was about.

These two are not alike. Any association is completely artificial.
Let it go. Do what you want, but there is no tie.
I am OK with the logo on the equipment. I like my freedom that apparently came from 1775.

Is T-Mobile also in the offing?

that shit was in october and we have the final product in production now
:neutral_face:

1 Like

He is no longer selling a modem card.
The current card is a different design by a different person.

1 Like