Marketplace keyboards - Show us your install!

@thearctican It’s trippy seeing a keyboard with no markings. Looks cool.

1 Like

I’m interested in seeing what people do with the clear keyboard. I’ve just received mine today, but honestly could use helpers on a few keys (like the function keys and some symbols).

I know stickers aren’t a great option, and I can’t do anything fancy with coloured lighting, so any ideas are welcome before I start the long install.

1 Like

Easy swap. Had to reprogram my fingerprints. Otherwise works as expected. Keys have a silicone/rubber-y feel but they’re still comfortable and my typing muscle memory has no issue so far.

9 Likes

@obfuscurity looks great!! How is it in the dark with the backlight? Does the light shine across the whole key?

1 Like

7 Likes

That does look cool!

1 Like

Love the look (while my clear keyboard sits in its box still) and still trying to figure out my design strategy.

My issue is that I need the function keys and a few of the symbols. With three laptops and an external keyboard I get crossed up regularly. Otherwise, muscle memory is perfect for the non-variable keys.

I’d also like a little colour.

I’m thinking if I have a template that just exposes the tops of the keys, I can lightly spray the keys with something matching my bezel (to be orange). Before that, I can apply symbol stickers to the keys I need (and peel them off after spraying, to expose a clear symbol).

Dunno if that makes sense. But it could be fun if it worked.

2 Likes

@obfuscurity there is only one LED in the spacebar? Thanks for the pictures, looks sweet!

1 Like

Yes, where the keyboard backlighting symbol exists on the bar. Presumably they’re using the same components for the rest of the keyboard assembly and just swapping the keycaps.

1 Like

Is that referring to their surface or the travel/feedback? Do they feel different than the standard keyboard?

Also - sick! Mine is on the way too.

1 Like

I’m referring to the surface feeling of the keycaps only. As mentioned previously, I believe the rest of the components are the same.

1 Like

Yeah I just installed my clear ansi not knowing this. Pretty bummed about the space key, was expecting it to fully light up. I get it, limited constraints on manufacturing but it looks broken.

2 Likes

So I just installed my clear keyboard and it went mostly smooth. The only real problem I ran into is that two of the silver screws that hold the keyboard in were stripped from the factory. I had a heck of a time getting them removed since the screwdriver would just spin free on top of those ones. I got lucky in that both of them were on the edges of the board so in the end I could just slip the old keyboard out from under them, and then I used a pair of needle nose pliers to very carefully unscrew the old screws (which I then discarded so as not to try to put them back in). Any idea if it’s possible to get replacement screws somehow? I know there’s one that’s included in the case, but since two of them were stripped I’m still short one.

1 Like

I couldn’t get the French Canadian keyboard with the DIY kit, so I bought it from the marketplace in extra and installed it myself. The extra Ù key and the ISO layout return key are a nice addition, and unlike my old MacBook Pro it fits the same top case as the original layout instead of needing a separate one.

I bought the keyboard alone instead of the input cover kit, so I had to remove a lot of tiny screws to get the original keyboard out. Thankfully while long, the process went smoothly.

6 Likes

Not sure what you could do about the power button, but if you painted the cover and got a dbrand skin for the touchpad I think you could just about make your dreams come true! (I am realizing as I finish this response that your post is from November, but I just found the thread now, so take this belated advice!)

1 Like

So I was considering that, but watched a bunch of videos to see if it has that plastic/rubbery feeling, which would drive me mad.

Honestly, I’m not 100% on this touchpad regardless. I keep missing the buttons. It looks fancy, I’m sure it’s super cool. But I’m sort of waiting for the boring old kind with giant, dumb buttons.

One more thing on the eventual upgrade list :wink: Truthfully, there’s a pleasure in imagining how I’d make my laptop more mine, even if it’s just wishful thinking for the moment.

2 Likes

Blank + function keys

Soo… I broke my original keyboard trying to switch around the keys to the dvorak layout. However, in the process, I figured out the technique to removing the keys without breaking the stupid, tiny, fragile plastic bits inside each keys.

I ordered the blank keyboard as a replacement, and decided to DIY it by moving the function-row keys from my first keyboard to the blank one. Honestly, I’m really happy with how it turned out. There’s no way I would remember that f7 is brightness, f10 is the airplane mode etc. Even if I did, I don’t have the muscle memory to correctly press f5 without counting the keys.

Anyways, if you decide to try this yourself, you can start with some of the prior art from our other community members:

Advice for removing the keycaps

I actually found the top row buttons easier to remove (or maybe because I figured out the technique by then), but again - you have to be really precise and delicate to do it correctly without breaking the keys.

That said, it’s pretty repeatable once you get the technique down. The main idea is that there are two plastic clips at the top of each key that you need to pop out. What worked for me was to start with the spudger at the top of each key. You can feel with the spudger where the supports are because you can’t push the tool in as far in that spot. That’s where you want to aim the spudger at it, either perpindicular or angled. The image below shows both options - the left one is straight down and the right one is angled inwards

Then, what I did was to gently twist the spudger (like if you were twirling a pencil). This provides the leverage to gently rock the clips out.

What you want is to hear a small, gentle click on each side as the clips pop out. Then you can lift the key from the bottom and remove it. Be gentle!!! If the key isn’t cooperating, just skip it and move to the next key. Come back to it later and it’ll probably cooperate then.

When I broke keys it was because I was being impatient. They tops weren’t unclipping so I added more and more force. Instead, you should change the angle of the spudger or the twisting technique etc. Once it’s in the right place you don’t need a lot of force.

P.S

Who wants to build a “chess-board” keyboard with the blank & transparent keys? I think that could look cool too! Maybe next time I get bored with the current looks of the laptop (or god forbid break this one too)

12 Likes

Thanks to @Anil_Kulkarni for the inspiration:

4 Likes

I’ve got the blank keyboard, and while it’s a serious adjustment period, it’s been almost 8 months, and I’ve got the function keys down. The number keys are honestly the more difficult part.

Any difficulties I’ve had with it are totally worth the mind-blown moment that most people have upon seeing it the first time though, and I love the aesthetic.

1 Like

Just installed the ansi clears and no longer tricking my brain up by typing on qwerty keys with a workman layout. I had the same thought as @Adam_Valverde that my brand new keyboard had broken LEDs on the spacebar, and the fn keys are going to take some getting used to, but with the gray bezel, it looks fantastic.

I’m loving it!

Edit: it took way longer than expected to install according to the guide, there are nearly 100 tiny screws, and some of them are a major pain. Two of the black and one of the silver keyboard screws stripped. 97% reinstalled hardware doesn’t leave me worried though.