Memory for 13: Use Framework's or bring my own?

I am looking to pull the trigger on a DIY 13 with AMD. I plan to get 32GB in two 16GB chips. Amazon/NewEgg is almost 50% lower. I will dual boot between Linux and Windows. Is the consensus that I just stick with the Framework DRAM and get their warranty or bring my own?

I’d bring your own, just make sure it’s the right kind.

1 Like

It really depends. The benefit of buying everything from Framework is that the warranty for all of the parts also goes through them, thus if something goes wrong, you just go to Framework and they’ll take care of you.

If you buy the ram from somewhere else, well then if the problem looks like a ram problem, then Framework might try to help you troubleshoot, but they’re not going to warranty the ram for you; you’ll have to go through Amazon or directly to the vendor for that. I’d imagine you also wouldn’t be able to just ship the whole computer back to them to take a look at it if they think it’s a ram problem, again because they wouldn’t be warrantying the ram in this situation.

So, if you had a problem, are you able to troubleshoot it yourself? Do you happen to have RAM that you can pull from another computer to check whether it’s a motherboard or RAM problem? If you do, then yeah sure go ahead and buy the ram from somewhere else. If you’re going to need Framework to help you through any problem you might have, then you should buy it through Framework.

I looked at this one on Amazon, would it be ok?

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory

If the MB design benefits from DDR 5, I was also looking at;
]CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz CL36 Intel XMP iCUE Compatible Computer Memory

The AMD boards will use DDR5-5600 exclusively, so don’t get the DDR4.

2 Likes

@Gary_Archer You are looking at desktop memory. For the FW 13 laptop, make sure you get SODIMM RAM that is made for laptops

When you bring your own memory, you need to make sure you get the correct form factor and also something that will not need XMP to get advertised speed, because XMP is not supported

I would recommend buying from framework if you are not sure, as their prices are fairly reasonable compared to other retailers (when comparing identical items), and you will be sure to get the correct parts

4 Likes

@Gary_Archer You are looking for unbuffered DDR5 SODIMMs, preferably in 5600mhz.

Though after the last couple messages I think it may be better for you to get the ones from framework.

1 Like