My Framework laptop just turned itself off while I was using it

Hello.

My Framework laptop just turned itself off while I was using it, with no warning or reason, as I was in the middle of dragging something in Inkscape.

After rebooting, I’ve had a quick look in the logs in Event Viewer but I don’t really know what I’m looking for. All the logs seem to show is that the computer knows it was rebooted after being improperly shutdown at 21:25:57 BST (UTC+1) approx… My memory is that this has occurred to me once before in the last month or two - the first time I just dismissed it as “one of those things”, but this second time I thought it was worth investigating. I emailed support@frame.work and the auto-acknowledgement message said that support might be quicker on the forums so here I am.

My Framework laptop was connected to mains power at the time, and the battery was charged.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1826). I installed the Framework drivers etc. back when I first setup the machine. I’m in the UK.

BIOS Version/Date: INSYDE Corp. 03.07, 14/12/2021

Spec (I bought a DIY model and all the parts from Framework):
11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable) (2x16GB Crucial DDR4 3200)
1TB WD SSD (WD_Black SN850 NVMe)
Intel Wifi 6E AX210 160MHz

As I said, I was in the middle of using Inkscape and had been doing so for at least one hour. I also had my email program running in the background (eM Client), and a File Manager window open. In the system tray I had the following running:
OneDrive
Private Internet Access
QuickLook
Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector
Bitwarden
iCloud for Windows
DDAssist (Drobo Dashboard)
Duplicati

The bottom of the laptop did feel warm to the touch, but not overly hot.

When I rebooted, I noticed that the LED (next to the USB-C socket on the expansion card that was plugged in to the mains power) blinked blue and green and orange several times very fast - and then went back to its usual slow blinking orange.

After rebooting, Windows won’t load the file I was working on and doesn’t give an error when failing to do so. Inkscape will run however. My memory from last time this happened is that the file will load after another, proper, restart of the machine. I’ll do this tomorrow.

Any help gratefully received.

Martin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You could probably try the new BIOS 3.10.

I started with 3.06 and updated at each offer, with no issues, I also updated from Win 10 to Win on receipt.

So is yours a pre-built or DIY?

Martin mentioned DIY.

1 Like

Check here for some history:
Instant power loss - Community Support - Framework Community