My laptop can boil water !?!?

I have a round 6 DIY laptop, i7-1185G7 @ 3.00 GHz purchased in November/2021.

I’m running the PCUID HwMonitor and it tells me my core temperatures are more often than not at 100 degrees Celsius. The laptop is sitting on a Fellowes plastic riser so the top of the screen can be at eye level of my home office.

When I move the laptop back three inches so the fan exhausts into open air instead of hitting the riser surface (tilting the screen farther forward and cantilevering the laptop as far as possible without it falling off the back edge of the riser) the temperatures decrease at least 15 degrees Celsius on average.

What would it take to better ventilate this laptop? I’m planning on upgrading to an even faster CPU and this issue would only get worse. Would upgraded and taller rubber feet (2 in front) and rubber bar (1 in back) make for better airflow?

Thanks.

1 Like

Either your monitoring software is providing incorrect readings or you have some serious issue with cooling. Have you tried to re-apply the thermal paste?

1 Like

This is a common misconception. I mean, it can be true but, in this context, it’s not. The only CPU(s) faster than the i7-1185G7 compatible with the Framework are the 12th gen Intel CPUs and all of them have noticeably better performance per watt, meaning they get more work done for a given amount of electricity (this is particularly noticeable with regards to single threaded per-GHz performance where 12th gen is 10-20% faster at the same clockrate).

But even within the same generation of a product, a higher-end model can actually end up being more efficient (this is most obvious with the desktop CPUs Ryzen 5900X vs 5950X) due to binning, meaning the higher model has higher quality silicon that is able to run stable at lower voltages, but this is only true if that capability for lower voltages isn’t instead used to run not-so-low voltages with even higher clockrates, thereby resulting in power consumption that indeed increases (see also: i9-12900K vs i9-12900KS).

2 Likes

It sounds like you are running with the lid open and using the laptop screen? The only time I’ve ever hit 100C is when I’m running with the lid closed in clamshell mode.

1 Like

A fair few months ago now I saw a recommendation in CustomPC Magazine for a laptop riser called the KLIM Airflow +, maybe this could help, if you are interested?

Best Regards,
Varg

I bought a Targus laptop cooling pad, with two USB-powered fans that blow air right into the frame.work laptop’s lower grille, the core still gets up to 100 celsius, but I don’t think having this under the laptop hurts.